Gluten Free All Inclusive in Punta Cana QUESTION

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I am asking for a friend who has a child that has celiac disease. SO, it is not just an allergy, but an intolerance to Gluten.

They are considering going to an all inclusive in Punta Cana. They have been to the DR before the child was born, so never inquired or investigated that aspect, since it was not a concern.

Would like some honest responses as to whether anyone has any knowledge or thinks that it would be safe for them to travel to Punta Cana with this child and have her needs served by a hotel?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At a resort the chances of you finding gluten free alternatives to foods that normally contain gluten are slim to none. Best bet is to ensure that the child does not eat food items that contain gluten. That child will be eating fruits, vegetables and meats. No pastas, no gravy, no salad dressings, no cereals, no bread and no beer.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My daughter-in-law has severe celiac disease [she's also an MD], and they spent a week in Punta Cana at Ocean Blue. She had no trouble finding plenty to eat, and came back with some new favorite Dominican foods.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all inclusives offer large choice of food so there should be no problem in finding something suitable to eat, providing that parents know what products are gluten free without relying on food packages. i would also take some foods the child likes such as special breads, just in case.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Let the Wrath of Dulce unleash on Tommeyers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You might want to check to see if the local cassava bread is wheat/gluten free.

Yes it is, it's one of my daughter-in-law's favorites. Lots of new varieties now too - this trip I bought her coconut cassva and peanut butter cassava [it's layered like a sandwich], in addition to al ajillo. Good stuff and gluten free!