Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What bird is this

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What bird is this

Every night in our residencial I hear this sound. It flies fast and it's dark so I can't see it. Any bird expert that can tell me what bird it is (and how to kill it) (just kidding)?

http://snd.sc/1kKptpA

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know the bird, but the sound is familiar. Also, it's my understanding that birds don't fly at night (they can't see well). Bats do, but I don't think they are considered birds; nor, do they make that sound. Also, bird expert = ornithologist.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

What you are describing sounds to me like a bat. Are you saying it is in your house or outside? Unfortunately if it is a bat and it is living in the house or coming in at night you will have to kill it otherwise if you let it outside it will just find its way back in. Do you have windows open at night or are there other ways a bat could be coming in.
    A tennis racket or broom works well in swatting the bat out of the air. Been there done that.

LTSTeve

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that sound here in Miami. I don't think it is a bat. Birds do not have to be flying to chirp.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

And bats don't chirp.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a nighthawk.
    Marvellous visitor this time of year and a falcon-type hunter.
    They fly in the evenings and night and when they stoup to accelerate you can hear the air through their feathers.
    From the underside, if you can see them in the light, they appear to have Airforce-type roundels on their wings.
    The sound of 'Pretty-pink, pretty-pink, pretty-pink' is characteristic and the whoosh of air through their feathers at the bottom of the dive is amazing.

You'll never kill (heaven forbid!) or catch one. They are falcon fast and beautiful..

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
    It's a nighthawk.
    Marvellous visitor this time of year and a falcon-type hunter.
    They fly in the evenings and night and when they stoup to accelerate you can hear the air through their feathers.
    From the underside, if you can see them in the light, they appear to have Airforce-type roundels on their wings.
    The sound of 'Pretty-pink, pretty-pink, pretty-pink' is characteristic and the whoosh of air through their feathers at the bottom of the dive is amazing.

You'll never kill (heaven forbid!) or catch one. They are falcon fast and beautiful..
    Thanks! I hope it's that and not a bat, else my wife won't go out anymore after 7pm.

The sound of the air through the feathers is characteristic. Will try to spot it to confirm.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected wrecksum. Some birds do fly at night (e.g., owls).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabejuventus View Post
    . Also, bird expert = ornithologist.
    yeah...I didn't want to look that up at 00.21 in the morning....(after watching two excellent episodes of the new season of 24).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not tell the wife but its bats. They do make a hi pitched chirp. Some areas of the DR are loaded with bats, like my house, at night. They fly fast and are very hard to see, eating flying insects. At first I was nervous they would crash into me but its never happened.

11. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast