Having products shipped to you with over 200$ value

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
About 5 years ago I had a business selling high end women's clothing, shoes, purses etc (louboutin, chanel, louis vuitton) , and a lot of people overseas including Dominicans would buy purses or shoes that were over 1000$ and ask me to change the price on the invoice/receipt. Could it be that they were able to have them shipped in and avoid the ITBIS over 200$ with that tiny change? Do you think this would still work? I need to get a new phone and paying 30-40% above its value is out of the question here.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't risk it. They seem more sophisticated and organized now than then.

Hard to imagine a pair of shoes costing over $1000.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They WILL catch you/them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you will have to pay the custom's duty THEY set, or lose the item.
Neither are a good option! :(:(:(:(:(
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
And, THEN, the DR Customs inspector will put "Any Price" HE WANTS!
Guess which "Price" you will pay tax on?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If you can afford to pay 1000 bucks for shoes, quit your bitchhing and pay the tax. I complain about 20 dollar shoes.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Never had an issue when buying parts and accessories for a RZR. Guess I am just lucky.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have got by with a fake invoice many times. But it was always a product that was strange to the Customs people. For example if you order a Samsung Galaxy 5 with a fake receipt they will get you for sure, but a Chinese cell that they never heard of that cost more than $200 will get by.

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
The invoice is one part of the story, but at the end customs will define what they think the price (according to their data base) is and charge you accordingly. I had one case the Price was for sure below 200 USD, but they claimed it is above and you can do nothing against it!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Fair Market Value

Customs officers who have been on the job for many years have sharp eyes and minds when merchandise comes under their inspection. There is a catch all phrase that all customs agencies use that may be worded differently for each but it comes out as: "What is fair market value ? If the inspectors have any doubt of value as stated on shipping/invoice documents they fall back on the catch phrase, and on occasion abuse it to arrive at a value.

Regards,

PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Years ago, I saw the "Custom's Valuation" print out used by DR customs agents to value products.
It was 5 inches thick!
It even had items like "Kellogg's Corn Flakes", and all the different size boxes.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The customs inspectors were born in the dark but not last night. You think your scam is clever but the the customs man its a laugh. Its common sense. Counterfeit invoices will only work if an item is obviously used or is REALLY obscure.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
That depends how your items enter the country. With EPS/Aeropaq fake invoices work perfectly. With FedEx/DHL or regular mail it's a different story.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Are you willing to guarantee that?
Nobody can guarantee you anything in DR. I am just sharing my experience. I ordered a lot of things online in last 5 years, sometimes up to 50 packages a month, some of them cost more than $200, and some of them cost even more than $2000, and I have never paid any customs fees. But every case is different, so you always have to think what to write in the invoice to avoid customs fees. Hint: translation of invoice to Spanish always helps. The box says that it's something new, made in Great Britain, and invoice says que esta usado, hecho en China. After they read the invoice in Spanish, they don't bother to translate anything else.