About to start a new life

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
So I never did my formal introduction. I've been following the forums for some time and have enjoyed some of the post made here. Definitely interesting and helpful.

Looking to finally make the move to Santo Domingo area and currently searching for jobs. Thankfully my fiance has been offered a position already and I had an interview earlier today so I'm hoping things really work out well.

Happy to be part of the forum. Hope I can contribute.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to DR1. Sounds like you and your fiance are handling the transition very well.

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
This is probably asking too much but I'd be very curious to get a feel for what kind of salaries you guys are getting.

I haven't been offered a position yet.

But my wife only has experience teaching in DR so it does not compare to what some foreigners are offered as salaries unfortunately. Even tho her credentials are abroad.

Welcome to DR1. Sounds like you and your fiance are handling the transition very well.

We haven't officially moved yet but we have been working hard to ensure we secure jobs within our career paths. For her was A LOT easier. I've been searching for over a month and I finally caught a break now its just hoping I get an offer.

Thank you to everyone for welcoming me.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I haven't been offered a position yet.

But my wife only has experience teaching in DR so it does not compare to what some foreigners are offered as salaries unfortunately. Even tho her credentials are abroad.

We haven't officially moved yet but we have been working hard to ensure we secure jobs within our career paths. For her was A LOT easier. I've been searching for over a month and I finally caught a break now its just hoping I get an offer.

Thank you to everyone for welcoming me.

Good luck and welcome to DR1.

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
Just as an FYI, the language barrier (if you have one) will be a problem.

Could you elaborate just a little bit more. I know it may seem obvious but do you have experience working in an accounting firm in Santo Domingo? Or in accounting in general?

I do speak Spanish. Born in NY grew up in NY. But would visit DR frequently.

I would say my Spanish is probably a little bit better than just conversational but I am not as strong in Spanish as I am in English.

Throughout my interview (done via Skype) I realized that Spanish is still something I would very much need to work on, especially reading and writing.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Could you elaborate just a little bit more. I know it may seem obvious but do you have experience working in an accounting firm in Santo Domingo? Or in accounting in general?

I do speak Spanish. Born in NY grew up in NY. But would visit DR frequently.

I would say my Spanish is probably a little bit better than just conversational but I am not as strong in Spanish as I am in English.

Throughout my interview (done via Skype) I realized that Spanish is still something I would very much need to work on, especially reading and writing.

I am an Accountant with over 30 years of experience. I started preparing taxes at the age of 18. I have a Bachelor's of Science in Accounting. I also have a Master's Certification in Business Analysis and a Certification in Financial Planning. My brother in law works for PWC in SD. Accounting in a foreign country is totally different than in the States. There is no US GAAP or IFRS.

As you can see by my username, I am from NY as well. The economic downturn in 2008 really did a number on my career but I stood vigilant and now I am slowly creeping up to were I was in 2008.

Take a look at the link below. On top of using Spanish just to get by, you will need to understand the Accounting terminology in Spanish as well.

Good luck.

I lived in FL for 2 years and, when I interviewed for Spanish firms, my lack of the Accounting terminology in Spanish hindered me from getting good jobs.

English to Spanish Dictionary of Accounting Terms

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"WOW", I wish the best for you both!
If this works out, I will shut up, and NEVER post on DR1 again!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
"WOW", I wish the best for you both!
If this works out, I will shut up, and NEVER post on DR1 again!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lol I don't think it needs to be that drastic. But thank you for wishing us the best. I appreciate it.

I do have to say, its been a rough couple a days and I have been searching for months, on and off, but I might have finally caught the break I was searching for.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
No, consulting. But if you are a trained accountant from the USA you'd probably more of worth in that area. Compliancy projects, etc.

I wasn't a trained consultant when I started there, only had a degree in (business) economics. With common sense and an education from abroad you get far in DR.

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
No, consulting. But if you are a trained accountant from the USA you'd probably more of worth in that area. Compliancy projects, etc.

I graduated a year ago and have been working in the finance department of a hospital as a junior accountant.

I reached out to PWC and unfortunately I never got a reply or a hello so that was a dead end for me.

I guess the most ideal situation would be to get into 1 of the Big 4 and work my way up the ladder if that would even be possible.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Back in 2001 when I reached out to PwC it took them three weeks to reply. And after the interview a month to hire me. When they finally called me they asked, can you start tomorrow (which was a saturday).