Interior Painting

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
If you have first-hand experience with painting interior spaces in the DR I would like your advice. (no speculation please)

I am going to paint the walls and ceiling in one of my rooms. White ceiling and light colored walls.

My problem is the way they are now painted. The ceiling white is painted on a 1" stripe at the top of the walls. I think that is is style that comes from the proper intention of disguising the uneven seam between the walls and ceiling. It is a problem for me in a few ways:

1) Paint the ceiling first, then wall, then stripe or the walls first the ceiling and stripe with possible drips on the walls.

2) How to get a straight stripe of ceiling white (freehand or tape)

For me it is not just getting the walls and ceiling painted. I want them done properly. Otherwise I would hire it out.

Thanks, Tom

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be sure an buy "Painters Tape" it's blue masking tape, it won't pull off the paint when you remove it.
That "White Stripe" is just a "Poor Man's Crown Molding", I like the "LOOK", and it's FREE!
Use "Blanco 50" for your ceilings, it a FLAT white.
I like "Blanco Colonial Claro" (it's a little "Lighter" in color than "Blanco Colonial")Semi Gloss for the walls.
It has a very slight sheen, it's VERY easy to keep clean, and lasts for many years.
Paint the ceilings FIRST, over lap the ceiling paint downward about 3 inches onto the walls.
When dry, I wait 24 hours, depending on the humidity, so the new paint doesn't peel off on the tape later, use the "Painters Tape" on the wall, over the white ceiling paint, you can use 1 inch, or 2 inch tape depending on taste.
Use the ceiling/wall joint as your guide when putting on the tape.
The tape goes as tight as possible against the ceiling, pressing down as you go.
The tape will give you a clean border between the two paints.
Paint the walls as soon as you put up the tape to insure it's sticking weel.
If you wait until the next day, the tape will "Unstick" sometimes and you may get a "Bleed" of the wall paint into the border.
The line between the two paints will come out fine, don't worry about being "Perfect" it will look perfect when done.
Carefully remove the tape withing 15 to 30 minutes of painting, pull OUT, never down, like from standing on the floor.
Remove tape like I "Make Love" slow, steady,gently, and boring!
I use the best quality paint I can buy, usually "Popular".
I only buy from the "Big Stores" where they sell A LOT of paint, you get fresh paint that way!
I made the mistake of buying from a tiny "Ferreteria" once, got "Old Paint",(Not The HORSE!) and had to toss it!
Good luck!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
while we're on painting, I've got a paint job in my future. was told because of the humidity in DR it's not as simple as applying paint to wall. was told there was a step first to ensure the paint doesn't peel off the wall. Not a primer, but something else is applied to the wall in humid environments. Any thoughts on this?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Paint when it's "Hot,Dry,and Windy" for best results!
Paint stores sell sealers that keep moisture at bay.
I use it for ceilings before painting, sometimes.
Especially in rooms where there are "Filtraciones", leaks/water stains
I think it MAY be called "Dry Coat"????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wanted to second what Criss said about using semi-gloss acrylic paint on the walls - when we repainted we switched to that, and what a difference in cleaning and durability.

We used Tropical paint, he used Popular, same difference I think, both good.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I only use the semi-gloss on the walls in the kitchen. The rest of the rooms I always use a satin finish paint which has a slightly less of a gloss to it but still easy to keep clean. One other thing don't always think white for the ceiling. Look on line at home decorating sites to get ideas on colors to use. Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams both have excellent websites for color schemes to use.

I have not done much painting in the DR but I am a Benjamin Moore fan to the heart. I shipped my paint down in a barrel.

A coat of primer first works wonders. You can have the primer tinted to match the paint color. One coat of primer and a coat of good quality paint should do the trick.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Good point about ceiling color, I was appalled when they painted my kitchen ceiling a sandy beige color to match the walls, but I ended up loving it.

The semi-gloss paint in DR isn't shiny/glossy like it is in some US brands. I also found that the color depth is stronger/warmer than the flat paint. I don't think they even offer a satin finish, it's either flat or semi-gloss, both acrylic.

Aug 6, 2006
What is best is to wash down the wall with a solution containing grease cutter, especially if there has been a lot frying going on, such as in the kitchen. mold and grease tend to prevent paint from sticking. Primer is a great idea as well. When I have painted two different colors two colors, I find it helpful to use a three inch bristle brush (as opposed to a foam brush) to paint the darker color last. It is hard to be precise with a roller, particularly a large one. Give paint three days to dry before you put masking tape on it, as the tape can pull off the new paint.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Don't forget your wall prep. Scrape any blisters first and fill them in. For the life of me I can't remember the product that's used. Its spread quickly and dries fast. It looks silicon bassed.

drescape24

Aug 6, 2006
I have always filled in cracks and holes in walls with joint compound. I have never had it fall out or paint to not stick to it. It works well on drywall as well as lath & plaster. Slap it on until you can't see the defect and then smooth it over with a wet putty knife or plastic baker's tool or those flexible edgers you use with auto body filler or Bondo.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I have always filled in cracks and holes in walls with joint compound. I have never had it fall out or paint to not stick to it. It works well on drywall as well as lath & plaster. Slap it on until you can't see the defect and then smooth it over with a wet putty knife or plastic baker's tool or those flexible edgers you use with auto body filler or Bondo.

You can use joint compound on cement wall?

drescape24

Aug 6, 2006
You can use joint compound on cement wall?

drescape24

I have not tried. It works on plaster pretty well, and it does stick very well to everything I have smeared it on.

The silicone based stuff might be better. I am not sure what drywall joint compound it. It may contain silicone. It does not fill gaps between walls and molding over 1/8 th of an inch well. It tends to fall out.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Especially if you have a high, not flat, ceiling, painting the ceiling in the same color as the walls looks great and is much easier. If you do make the ceiling a different color you can put the painters tape on the wall where the ceiling meets the wall. That gives you a straight line with the ceiling color coming down on the the wall just the width of the painters tape. Trying to do it freehand will look messy and the wall rarely meets the ceiling in a straight line, especially in the DR.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Especially if you have a high, not flat, ceiling, painting the ceiling in the same color as the walls looks great and is much easier. If you do make the ceiling a different color you can put the painters tape on the wall where the ceiling meets the wall. That gives you a straight line with the ceiling color coming down on the the wall just the width of the painters tape. Trying to do it freehand will look messy and the wall rarely meets the ceiling in a straight line, especially in the DR.
I have just done this in my home using Vanilla from the Tucan range and, as retiree says, it looks great and no straight lines to worry about between ceilings and walls. I have one stone feature wall in my living area which is now painted just two shades darker (Marfil) and am delighted with the outcome. Would happily recommend the painter I used also.