Making friends

daniela618

Apr 22, 2014
So I am moving to santo domingo next month and I was wondering where would be the best places to meet people and hang out. I'm 25 and was just wondering is there a place or are there any groups to be involved in to meet other young people, or people in general. This might be an odd request but I was just wondering since I will be moving alone I'd like to make some new friends/acquaintances. Thanks in advance

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So I am moving to santo domingo next month and I was wondering where would be the best places to meet people and hang out. I'm 25 and was just wondering is there a place or are there any groups to be involved in to meet other young people, or people in general. This might be an odd request but I was just wondering since I will be moving alone I'd like to make some new friends/acquaintances. Thanks in advance

be careful when you use the word "friends".

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Dominicans love to make friends with you as soon as you arrive. You are the best friend for them, because you can pay for the beer, pay for the dinner, they can ask you to lend some money to them and of course there is no need to return money to you, because you love to hear the word "manana", as well as different stories like all members of their family just died yesterday and they need a lot of money to bury them.

And if you invite your "friends" to your home, prepare to flush the toilet after they visit the bathroom, because they never do it themselves.

Living in DR is fun! Enjoy!

When there are dr1 meeting things go to them, I have meet some great people this way!
I met my new bff on dr1 :)

As others have said BE VERY CAREFUL making Dominican friends! There are of course some great dominican peeps but I prefer friends that don't want me to buy everything all the time :)

There are some shady expats here also so be aware of that as well!

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I seem to remember you posting previously that you speak some Spanish. That will help, and also help keep you out of trouble.

daniela618

Apr 22, 2014
K thank you for this suggestion. I understand I have to be careful, that is most definitely understood I just didn't know of places I could meet people. I'd rather join a group than to make random friends at bars or other places lol.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans love to make friends with you as soon as you arrive. You are the best friend for them, because you can pay for the beer, pay for the dinner, they can ask you to lend some money to them and of course there is no need to return money to you, because you love to hear the word "manana", as well as different stories like all members of their family just died yesterday and they need a lot of money to bury them.

And if you invite your "friends" to your home, prepare to flush the toilet after they visit the bathroom, because they never do it themselves.

Living in DR is fun! Enjoy!

actually, it was not the Dominicans that i had in mind.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
One thing you will not lack in DR is friends..relax, just make
sure you let into your circle the "right" friends.

Aug 6, 2006
Off topic babble removed, infraction given.

I guess it's also time to start dishing out infractions to those that also respond, as they are just as guilty.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lemontree

I'm also hope to make some friends in DR. I came to Santo domingo 2 month ago.
Still I couldn't make any friend, sadly.
It's hard to make friends in foreign country, since I'm quite guarded and can't speak spanish.
But you speak spanish, also you have a job here, it would be easy to make some friends.
Hope you have good friends, and enjoy the life of DR.

Doncamilo

Jun 22, 2012
I'm also hope to make some friends in DR. I came to Santo domingo 2 month ago.
Still I couldn't make any friend, sadly.
It's hard to make friends in foreign country, since I'm quite guarded and can't speak spanish.
But you speak spanish, also you have a job here, it would be easy to make some friends.
Hope you have good friends, and enjoy the life of DR.

check out InterNatons.org - location DR. They have gatherings every month in different places in the city. upt to 50 people that show up. there you both will find someone to talk to.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012

It takes a bit of time to meet people in SD, the right people that is. Just go with the flow. A few expats hang out at Mandala (the old Proud Marys) in the Colonial Zone, love the place myself.

Let me know when you are here and I will meet you there for a drink... any excuse you know!

There was a meet up in SD a few months back of DR1'rs but sadly I missed it - maybe someone should arrange another one???

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Be very selective of your friendship circle. This may sound snobby but read hillbillys rules about dating and apply it to your friendship circle. Avoid anyone broke, stranded or in trouble.
good luck

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You will be teaching English, right? So just make a real effort to make friends with the other teachers, particularly if they are Dominican as they will be particularly interested in being able to speak English with you and most likely educated. Of course, some of them may be deportees,, but hey, just keep you eyes open and your shields up!

Understand that if Dominicans call you "negra" or "negrita",. they are only using it as a term of address, an observation, not an insult. They might just as easily use "gorda".. in that they feel perfectly comfortable saying things like "hey, you really put on weight!" which we never do!! Also be aware that black Dominicans all straighten their hair, and that if you have an afro, or wear afro style hair, (like one of my Haitian friends did), someone might call out to you "feo",, "ugly" on the street.. That, of course, is their problem, not yours.

Feel perfectly safe in taking the big buses *---in fact this is great way to spend some time and see the city.. just hop a bus and take a seat and start talking to the folks around you. Dominicans are super friendly. They really do love Americans and all have cousins or someone in the States, which to most of them is all inside New York. There will always be someone who speaks English, most likely. You can ask them where you are, and ask them where to get off, and when. All that.

You can join a club with a pool. Gold's perhaps? or the Dominican Fiesta? or the Crowne Plaza? This can be expensive but also make your life infinitely better.

I live in Gazcue and have been here for ten years. Old enough to be your mom, or perhaps *shudder// even your grandma.. so PM me and I will send you my contact numbers and you can come over for coffee and we can meet so that you will at least have a contact. I am a journalist and a private advanced English tutor.

You will really have an experience here .. but there can be some things that can also lead to the occasional melt down.

But it will be a great life experience and good for you for taking the leap!

Welcome to the DR!

Mar 1, 2009
Hang out in the Zona colonials Hard Rock cafe during concerts, you'll get chatted up by guys right away. Go to Libreria Cuesta and find out when book clubs meet or go for a run in el parque mirador, then while there don't be afraid to engage people. Remember if you smile, people will smile back. I haven't really had a chance to stop by the new Guibia beach but i hear its nice.

Try to stay away from people with problems in their lives, you don't need the drama.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC ccccc///cc

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Also, get your cell phone right away. And walk around a lot, particularly in Gazcue and the Zona. Walk to end of your capacity. Make a stop at all the Colmados on the route. (I am assuming here that you have found an apartment? Have you?) Pick up cards at every colmado and ask if they deliver and how much their 5 gallons of water are?
Make sure that is Planeta or Crystal. Do not buy gallons that are 25 peso. They should cost between 50 and 80 delivered. Sit and buy a coke. Be friendly but not so much. Find your nearest pharmacy. Get the card. They too, deliver? Good to know.

Program in the number for Apolo taxi 809 537 0000. Get a good map. Walk to where you cannot walk any further. Then call the cab. Best to just dial the number, and hand your phone off to the nearest passer by and say "dice donde estoy?" por favor? because, trust me. even though you THINK you speak Spanish, unless you are Dominican or have been practicing with Dominicans in Nueva Yol, you will have trouble understanding and making yourself understood at first.. at least on the phone.

ok.. now you know the limits of your barrio..

Be aware that every "good" barrio has some "hot" barrios next to them.. so don't go out gallavanting at night!

By that I mean DO NOT go WALKING ALONE at night anywhere!! End of story. Not until you really know your way around. Not til you know your colmado guys, are known in the district, know where the potholes are, where the whore houses are, and will be ok if the whole place suddenly goes pitch black. Because it DOES.

Make sure your keychain has both a little flashlight and little penknife.Ok I have never used that penknife for anything except cleaning my fingernails but there are times and streets where I have had it open in my fist. Just made me feel safer.

Read the Men are from Mars Forum and be aware that as an American, you will be vulnerable to the ohhh sooo sweet talking Dominican male.. who has serious abilities to break your heart. These are Latin Lovers and have moves that you have never seen. They also have completely different standards of behavior than Americans so do not think that you know what is going on. Yes, they are after your visa. No, they do not love you. Yes, they have other girls. Yes, it is indeed possible that you might find a good one who is the love of your life here. Possible but not likely. The mix of American women and Dominican man is not such an easy one.. the other way around works better. So try not to take it all too seriously. Never pick up the tab for a Dominican, male or female.

enough from this in loco parentis

for now

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
ok,, a bit more.. find the hair salon.. get your hair and nails done every week. This does not cost much and Dominicans are super obsessed about nails and hair..they are going to make a whole lot of judgements about you based on the way that you keep them.. plus the Salon is really a great place to socialize with the women in the neighborhood. Try out a couple because for sure there will be a couple. Try different times.. go after working hours to meet the more professional women. Go Saturdays to meet the bustle, Go Fridays to meet the younger women who are dolling up for nights out. Don't be on the phone there. Be listening. Be open. Find a friend there. Your BEST friend is going to be a woman.