This is how you deal with corrupt politicians

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Been thinking about how developed nations best eradicate or at least minimize corruption. Would love to start up some ideas to see if some day the DR manages to overcome that social cancer. I understand that established and independent branches of the government along with stiff penalties help deter such crimes. How can we turn things around in the Dominican Republic? I've often imagined there being a series of monetary incentives for citizens to turn in corrupt public officials or an investigative team videotaping bribes to politicians, judges, etc... What do you think?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I am a true beliver in capital punishment for this type of thing. I know its not really a deterrent but it sure does stop people from doing it over and over again. Not many dead people are repeat offenders.

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
I am a true beliver in capital punishment for this type of thing. I know its not really a deterrent but it sure does stop people from doing it over and over again. Not many dead people are repeat offenders.

A bit extreme for my taste, but I hear your frustration. Public humiliation along with confiscation of home, funds, etc AND stiff sentences would be what I'd call for.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009

What level of corruption would you have carry the death penalty?

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Dream on, it'll never change. The country mentality was architecturally carved as such, many moons ago.

Yeah, I'm the eternal dreamer, I guess. Does your position, whether accurate or not, advance the topic. Is capitulation the answer? I don't think so. Until more of us begin to think differently and believe it possible, nothing will change. I guess it's easy for me to be optimistic from a distance, but I don't see how a defeatist approach helps. Just my two cents.

Sep 4, 2012
We can't change mentality. The country was designed to be and operate as is. Same parties, same people, same families, same way of life.

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
We can't change mentality. The country was designed to be and operate as is. Same parties, same people, same families, same way of life.

Two things: i'd love to stay on topic and get some input how to best catch and punish those guilty of corruption and the second point, I believe there are some, albeit not viable yet, options in politicians emerging. It will take a groundswell to change the paradigm in politics, but it can be done if other nations are examples.

Last edited:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
What level of corruption would you have carry the death penalty?

Seeing as you asked. If I was king of the world it would happen from the ahole traffic cop that extorts money out of me upwards. Lawyers would be in my sites as well.

May 5, 2007
Yeah, I'm the eternal dreamer, I guess. Does your position, whether accurate or not, advance the topic. Is capitulation the answer? I don't think so. Until more of us begin to think differently and believe it possible, nothing will change. I guess it's easy for me to be optimistic from a distance, but I don't see how a defeatist approach helps. Just my two cents.

Killing people for malfeasance is far from advancing anything, it is returning to the Dark Ages

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Turn them into who? Find us an honest man. I like paying the underpaid traffic cops a little. Its like giving to charity. We tip our guy 500 pesons every so often and man does he stop the traffic when he see my yipita coming. I do not feel extorted. I do not have to pay him a thing. Do you have any idea of what an Amet cop makes a month?

Feb 7, 2007
I am currently in Colombia and this morning during my taxi ride to Bogota airport the driver had a local newstalk station on. They were doing some analysis about upcoming elections and along the line they also talked about corruption which is also rampant in Colombia. I don't recall the number, but they said the money that goes into corruption/money skimming could provide for construction of thousands of schools and hospitals, every year. Also a scandal of 2 million narco dollars entering campaign funds of one of the candidates, now under investigation (El Capo 2 copycat?). So not only in the DR...

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
I’m afraid that corruption on DR scale only can be stopped by a dictator.
And he would clame everything for himself. So, nothing will change again.

Do we need this??? I fully understand the frustrations about all this, but then again; take it or leave it.