Emergency 911 Starts Monday May 12th

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
this has the potential to be good. i wonder how the location of the emergency will be communicated. street addresses don't seem to be available and they are not always used to describe location here in STI.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...hola, I've fallen and I can't get up. I'm in the blue house with the palm tree in front next to the colmado down the street from the car wash with the loud music...Lo sentimos, s?lo hablo un poco de espa?ol

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I think if your life depends on an emergency 911 call in this country , your ass is grass.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think if your life depends on an emergency 911 call in this country , your ass is grass.

Right now, I agree with you. But it's a start.

As far as addresses, it's worse in the campo, we found out we have an address from our electric bill, but I'll bet that NO ONE would know where we are if we gave him the address.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I watched the youtube promo video, its very nice at least its a start, DR has long way to go!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Ready, set... here comes the 911

Ready, set... here comes the 911

The government is running a trial today, Monday 12 May to test the 911 emergency system. Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo is heading the initiative for the Medina Presidency and coordinating with all the government departments involved. A three-minute video is has been produced to prepare residents in the National District for using the system. The video lists the types of emergencies for which residents can call the helpline, and warns against making fake calls.

The plan is for the system to be available in the National District and the Province of Santo Domingo by the end of the month.

The state-of-the-art 911 headquarters are located at Av. Abraham Lincoln at the intersection with Dr. Nunez Dominguez in the neighborhood of La Julia. Several foreign legations have made sizeable contributions to the new security system.

Har?n hoy un simulacro sobre el sistema 9-1-1 - DiarioLibre.com

911, ?til y gratuito. C?mo usarlo bien. - YouTube

I can see it already me calling 911 talking to an operator who doesn't know how to write, he or she giving instructions to someone who doesn't know how to read and then they'll be calling me back asking for gas money :bunny:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Years ago, the government set up a Santo Domingo "WiFi" network.
It was free!
The idea was to make the internet available to the "Masses"!
It never really worked well, and was soon left to fall apart,...Literally!
It served it's purpose, to get huge commisions for the gov. officials involved.
This will no doubt follow the same path!
After all, WHO is supposed to "Come To Your Aid" after you make the call anyway?????
"Police, Fire,Ambulance???????
RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most hospitals won't accept patients that don't have "Proof Of Payment", BEFORE they treat them!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Years ago, the government set up a Santo Domingo "WiFi" network.
It was free!

After all, WHO is supposed to "Come To Your Aid" after you make the call anyway?????
"Police, Fire,Ambulance???????
RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most hospitals won't accept patients that don't have "Proof Of Payment", BEFORE they treat them!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Is that true? I have both used and taken people to Emergency at public hospitals and I have never experienced one who has asked for "proof of payment".

Has anyone else here used public hospital emergency services?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Is that true? I have both used and taken people to Emergency at public hospitals and I have never experienced one who has asked for "proof of payment".

Has anyone else here used public hospital emergency services?

Public hospitals are supposed to receive anyone (treatment thereafter might be limited if you can't pay for anything or they don't have the equipment you need). Private clinics normally will require insurance or a credit card before they admit you, unless you're in critical condition, then they have the legal obligation (if you happen to know about this law) to stabilize you so you can be taken to another hospital if you can't pay.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Public hospitals are supposed to receive anyone (treatment thereafter might be limited if you can't pay for anything or they don't have the equipment you need). Private clinics normally will require insurance or a credit card before they admit you, unless you're in critical condition, then they have the legal obligation (if you happen to know about this law) to stabilize you so you can be taken to another hospital if you can't pay.

Right! But Criss says that MOST hospitals won?t even treat people if FIRST they don?t show proof of payment.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
If you live here long enough and build a good reputation for yourself you can go to a private clinic or hospital and even be hospitalized and they will not require any proof of payment until after services are rendered. Public hospitals receive anyone.