The Poorest City in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I am wondering which city is the most poorest and that has high number of children that comes from a poor family that has little or no money. I think the project I would like to develop will change the vision but I need to know where and which city I should start with.

Any help is appreciated.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
anything along the haitian border. el?as pi?a is probably the poorest province with dajabon, independencia and pedernales not far behind. a capital of el?as pi?a is comendador. maybe you can start there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The provinces of the south west are usually cited as the country's poorest, based on the human development indicators: Azua, Pedernales, Barahona, Bahoruco (Neiba), Independencia (Jimani), Comendador (El?as Pi?a) and San Juan de la Maguana.
Name of provincial capital in parentheses if not the same as the name of the province.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mao is a prosperous provincial capital with lots of commercial activity largely from rice and banana cultivation - far from the poorest in the country.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think we all could name a poor town in DR, where folks live in shacks with outhouses.

What kind of help are you trying to organize?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am wondering which city is the most poorest and that has high number of children that comes from a poor family that has little or no money. I think the project I would like to develop will change the vision but I need to know where and which city I should start with.

Any help is appreciated.

Be aware that the poorest region.. that is the border region.. is already swarming with little and big projects with good intentions. You are entering into a field in which there are the professional do gooders// the big guys like Unicef and Oxfam.. and all that is business here and most are not really in the business of wiping out poverty which is their bread and butter. Every town and city has its poor parts. In Las Terrenas, for example, there are many people who are very poor, who live in shacks without plumbing, and have very little water. That would be my advice on a place to work because the big guys are NOT there .. and there are a lot of expats who are ready to volunteer.

Although the border area is poor, much of the poverty stats are derived from the fact that there are a lot of illegal Haitian immigrants, who live in shacks in shanty towns. All three of the towns, Dajabon, Elias Pineas, and Pedernales, present as resonably prosperous little provincial towns, with small concrete homes. And while San Juan Maguana may also show as poor, that too, to my eyes does not have the sort of squalor that is seen in the Capitol, for example.

I cannot imagine that one gringo.. or a Dominican gringo who does not know much about the country.. is going to have a lot of impact alone.. It would perhaps be best to hook up with other gringos who are doing such work and the only ones I know of are the Dream Project and the Gandhi Foundation. There may be lots more .. but i don't know of them.

Aug 6, 2006
There are desperately poor people everywhere. I would imagine that one could do the most good where there were local people (including expats) one could enlist to volunteer in a cooperative venture.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013

Any help is appreciated.

What is your definition of poverty? Not having a iphone? etc

What is more important.. Do projects with people who like to be helped.. most poor people dont apreciate and help and will not even take you serious!

Aug 6, 2006
I am not about to define what sort of poverty someone else's charity might target. I imagine that something like a micro loan organization like Gramin Bank would be worth investigating.

Programs for children are usually welcomed by most people. It should be clear that the education provided by the half-day schools that the Dominican government provides need a lot of improvement.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Guys,

I am trying to develop a project that would allow people to donate money or purchase t-shirts, etc and the non-profit organization will donate $7 per sale towards to this project. My goal: end Poverty and hunger and change the world.

One reason, Matthew 36-30 explains it all:

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

That is my project. It will be very powerful and will have a big impact in DR, hopefully. I already have several people willing to donate several ten of thousand of dollars to get it started. If anyone who wants to be part of it, you are welcome to do so. I am going to get the project going and get the website launched and work with this non profit org to sponsor it.

Thanks again!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Guys,

I am trying to develop a project that would allow people to donate money or purchase t-shirts, etc and the non-profit organization will donate $7 per sale towards to this project. My goal: end Poverty and hunger and change the world.

One reason, Matthew 36-30 explains it all:

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

That is my project. It will be very powerful and will have a big impact in DR, hopefully. I already have several people willing to donate several ten of thousand of dollars to get it started. If anyone who wants to be part of it, you are welcome to do so. I am going to get the project going and get the website launched and work with this non profit org to sponsor it.

Thanks again!

You should contact Esperanza: Microcredit Plus in the Dominican Republic and Haiti I think that David Pimental is the head of it. They are a very good organization which walks the walk. I am sure that they will be delighted to hear from you and work with you,

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How do we know you won't just use the money for yourself????????
Take your "WORD" for it????
When people "Quote Scripture", I get very NERVOUS!!!!!!
You Would NOT be the FIRST, more like the 100 millionth!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
I would simply try to do the greatest amount of good for the largest number of people, rather than try to locate the absolute poorest people in the poorest area.

Status
Not open for further replies.