Getting fiber optics

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Today I had to stay home because Claro would come to install fiber optics (migrate the copper connection). On Wednesday two guys already came, but left since they thought it was too much work. Would come back on Saturday.

At 8.00 am they arrived. Three guys this time. They open all the registers on our residencial and start looking for the cable that goes to my house. Somewhere the cable is stuck. They call some friends (colleagues). 6 Claro guys walking around to migrate my connection.

9F7569B4-CF60-451D-B6D2-A51C19AA080A_zpsbczksrbx.jpg

According to them there is a hidden register (the hole where the cables come out and come in each house. They try searching under the grass and it happens to be beside a tree (and partly under it).

BE68EE26-6528-4006-B35C-8869CE58AB15_zps0dzj7hwo.jpg

Away with the tree (sorry neighbor):

1E622FC3-C6AA-424C-B8C9-2EBE4E267C70_zpsz7fdmdvm.jpg

Now they should be almost done! Not. The cable is still stuck. There must be another register. They keep searching and suspect another one under another tree (nice job gardener).

0B1A0435-D975-4EB6-8BEF-F6F89FDE74C3_zpsq74qhkqq.jpg

Away with the tree!

[video=youtube_share;-vUqeYRTdz4]http://youtu.be/-vUqeYRTdz4[/video]

E4CE307E-5A83-45CB-B812-6492D136DE2B_zpsnhzjwfce.jpg

There it is!

E6AC0183-7D73-4AA7-BC40-194FB46461A6_zpskwklhslw.jpg

At 4pm the work was done. The neighbor has two trees less in front of his house and learned that he shouldn't plant anything on top or near a register.

And I have reliable internet.

D5433750-9E38-4C09-88A5-1BFE92AEABA0_zps7hzaxkca.jpg

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What sort of speed are you getting from fiber?

6 MB. that's also the speed I had, but we had a lot of trouble of the speed going down or losing the connection. They only migrate you if you have 5MB or more. I think the maximum plan is 10 MB for residencial use.

Better question - how much per month?

price for 6MB is RD$2595 excl. tax. But with multiplan (TV and phone included) I pay 3895 pesos tax included. No extra cost for fiber optics and the installation is free also.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I have 20 mb /2mb upload with the same router plus Claro TV on the same cable. Works perfectly!

PS, Mauricio, what sector is that?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Is the neighbour P*ssed? Lol! ty for the story and pics, made me chuckle!

He is afraid of his wife, who is on a trip and coming back next week. But no, he wasn't mad...he wants to migrate too, so he wanted it solved anyway. IF it wouldn't have been solved, no one in the residencial could migrate.

I'm sure in my country they would have said: We can't do this job. Make sure we have free access to the entry points and we'll come back.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have 20 mb /2mb upload with the same router plus Claro TV on the same cable. Works perfectly!

too expensive for me.

I didn't have any trouble until about 3 months ago, when the speed would drop or disconnect regularly, after fixing it about 5 times, they told me they would migrate me.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
In Canada you would have had a war between the tree huggers and the choppers. Don't touch the tree or it will get angry.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
don't know what country your from, but in US connections go up in a connection box above ground, nothing hidden. branches out to the houses from there.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
don't know what country your from, but in US connections go up in a connection box above ground, nothing hidden. branches out to the houses from there.

It's like that here, but in front of each house there is a pit where the cables join the other cables and go in the tube to the street.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
What sort of speed are you getting from fiber?

Don't know what the OP is getting but I am in Bella Vista in la capital and just did a speed test:

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

I pay for 20 meg DL and 1 meg UL but seem to consistently get above 2 meg UL.

Getting it installed was fun. The normal install was fine. I asked the guy if while they were here are pulling cables if they could run an extra cat 5E from my office to living room so I could extend the range on my airport extreme using a cable instead of wifi as the signal out in the living room was pathetic. Netflix would stop and start repeatedly. Now that became a project. They asked for my wifi password 17 times and I nicely replied that they do not need to touch my wifi. Run the cable, I give you money, you go home, I do the rest. Kept calling the base and the base asked for my wifi password. Repeat the above for about 4 hours. Finally they gave up as they knew nothing about routers or software pure cable pullers and hardware installers.

Now I can be out on the balcony and get 20 meg DL reliably. Airport extreme in back bedroom, office, studio, hardwired to extend network to another airport extreme. Two airport expresses extend the network from there via wifi. One in my bedroom connected to office airport and one in sala de estar connected to living room airport extreme.

I remember my first "internet flash" back in 2002 living out on san isidro was 512k DL, don't even want to remember what UL was probably 256. I moved out there as it was one of first zonas with DSL. Well one of the first ones that an unemployed dude living in like 1500 per month could afford to live in. Ah the good old days!

Sep 4, 2012
He is afraid of his wife, who is on a trip and coming back next week. But no, he wasn't mad...he wants to migrate too, so he wanted it solved anyway. IF it wouldn't have been solved, no one in the residencial could migrate.

I'm sure in my country they would have said: We can't do this job. Make sure we have free access to the entry points and we'll come back.

Agh the hidden beauty of DR. Perks that often times lay hidden from those whom self impose blind folds.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I remember my first "internet flash" back in 2002 living out on san isidro was 512k DL, don't even want to remember what UL was probably 256. I moved out there as it was one of first zonas with DSL. Well one of the first ones that an unemployed dude living in like 1500 per month could afford to live in. Ah the good old days!

rafael, that is pretty good, although that is from you to a Claro server, so you should expect a fast connection. What are the ping times to a USA based server?

DR1 was the 4th entity to get DSL in Santo Domingo, many moons ago.
5th on the list was Juan Luis Guerra ;)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
rafael, that is pretty good, although that is from you to a Claro server, so you should expect a fast connection. What are the ping times to a USA based server?

DR1 was the 4th entity to get DSL in Santo Domingo, many moons ago.
5th on the list was Juan Luis Guerra ;)
Who were the first 3?