Attacker Shot Dead

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm sure you'd all be singing a different tune if this "Dirty Harry" had bad aim and killed an innocent bystander.

I, for one, do not find the idea of everyone running around with pistols in their pocket to be a good thing. You can romanticize the Wild West all you want but I think it's misguided.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm sure you'd all be singing a different tune if this "Dirty Harry" had bad aim and killed an innocent bystander.

I, for one, do not find the idea of everyone running around with pistols in their pocket to be a good thing. You can romanticize the Wild West all you want but I think it's misguided.

You will then be happy to know that the government is making it much harder for legal gun owners to keep their guns. The ratio of criminals with guns to legal gun owners will be going up, and we all know how useful the police are, so be careful what you wish for.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I have nothing against legal gun ownership if I can be guaranteed the gun owners have been trained in gun safety and can demonstrate skill in actually using the weapon. The problem is that any yahoo can buy and gun and register it. For the life of me I can't understand why people assume all legal gun owner's are competent and sane just because they were honest enough to register the weapon.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have nothing against legal gun ownership if I can be guaranteed the gun owners have been trained in gun safety and can demonstrate skill in actually using the weapon. The problem is that any yahoo can buy and gun and register it. For the life of me I can't understand why people assume all legal gun owner's are competent and sane just because they were honest enough to register the weapon.

No one assumes all legal gun owners are competent. Not anyone in the DR can buy a legal gun and register it. For one, guns are VERY expensive here and so is the ammo so the barrier to purchase is high. There is a pysch test that is given and I understand new owners have to demonstrate some type of competency with the weapon before the license is given, (I doubt many fail that test).

It is more difficult to obtain a legal weapon here than it is in North America.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well in this case, skill was demonstrated.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Who you calling a yahoo? What is a Yahoo anyway, besides my email provider? If the gunman was a gringo the smart move would be to get off at the next stop.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"If Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have Guns"!!!!!!!
Where are all the DR1ers who claim that it's "Poverty" that makes poor people into thieves????????
Score one for the "Good Guys"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
No one assumes all legal gun owners are competent. Not anyone in the DR can buy a legal gun and register it. For one, guns are VERY expensive here and so is the ammo so the barrier to purchase is high. There is a pysch test that is given and I understand new owners have to demonstrate some type of competency with the weapon before the license is given, (I doubt many fail that test).

It is more difficult to obtain a legal weapon here than it is in North America.

Not at all. I know many many poor people with old cheap legal guns. My neighbour brought his old (haven?t a clue what brand) gun out to compare with another neighbours gun which was equally old and cheap, probably older than him and he?s a great grandad. I pulled out the clip and even the bullets were old and spot rusty. And so no, there are many legal and cheap guns around the barrios and campo. Price does not dictate availability on this one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not at all. I know many many poor people with old cheap legal guns. My neighbour brought his old (haven?t a clue what brand) gun out to compare with another neighbours gun which was equally old and cheap, probably older than him and he?s a great grandad. I pulled out the clip and even the bullets were old and spot rusty. And so no, there are many legal and cheap guns around the barrios and campo. Price does not dictate availability on this one.

Pistol licenses require an annual renewal with a moderately high fee. The owner has to pass a urine test at a government approved lab and as of now an annual ballistics test that has to be done in Santo Domingo. Even this is far more restrictive than in North America.

All of the guns you have seen in the barrio are actually legal with current licenses?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I highly doubt the barrio guns are all legal! No way can they afford to or bother to do that yearly. I see guns in my barrio too but they are not legal!!

That is precisely why I questioned HUG's statement that the the cheap barrio guns were legal. The only way one could know if they were legal is to see the current license and have it match the serial number on the gun.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
As some know I am a retired Canadian large city investigator and have seen all aspects of gun violence. Other than my issued weapon I have never owned a gun. I have kept an open mind and read many statistical data on gun ownership and married that with my personal experiences. This has led me to conclude that in towns where the citizens can carry firearms the violent crime is significantly reduced. This goes against the narrative but it is true and when I have computer savvy enough I will attempt to post the longest and most peer reviewed study by an economist on the issue. His name is John Lott. Several attempts to discredit him failed miserably. His data and lack of an agenda in his book is compelling.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't bother!
Most DR1er's have already made up their minds on the "Gun" issue, right along their personal Agenda lines!
"Data" is a "Droid" on "Star Trek the Next Generation" to them!

I have a gun, my mind is "Made Up"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013

Insanelyone,
No one is suggesting that everyone should be running around with pistols in their pocket but nice straw man. No one is romanticizing the wild west. You are showing your bias and that is obvious.. I read a quote once and I paraphrase...A liberal is a person who does not believe in god or guns but if someone is breaking into their house they call 911 to get someone to get come fast and have a gun and then pray to god they get there in time.