Living in the DR VS Vacation home.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
For me it has always been about having a vacation home. 6 months in and 6 months out. I have never understood the need to be here full time.explain how you moved here and live in a dominican neighbourhood. Don't need to explain if you speak spanish and have Latina/Latino background.
How does a non speaking person move here and start a new life? Are you a throw back hippy nutter?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
firstly, I live in RD about 7 months.... all winter, 6-7 weeks in July/Aug and a few other 'quick hits'.

I have learned a modicum of Spanish... how do you handle 6 mos w/o language?

I am not in a tourist zone - very few English speakers.
I want to talk to my workers - for them to understand me, foe me to hear their problems .... for everything.

For your one sentence answer to
'How does a non speaking person.............'

they don't.... or shouldn't
take your pick

Hippy nutter?
the farthest thing from it!!!!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't want that to sound harsh... but are you really sure this is where you want to be? RD?

without a bit of the language, it can be a long day..... confusing, tiring, frustrating.... long list.

I am very tired at night... it like taking 4 exams in one day -
all that thinking, translating in the head from Span to Eng and back.
enervating to say the least.

BUT, it keeps your mind active, pushes back dementia..

I just think you're choosing a rough road if you can't get some grip on the language
or choose another country.... Bahamas comes to mind
close to USA, English speaking, fast access for land/home buyers.

Anyway.......ultimately, your choice

I know, I know......... you asked not get this type of response

Permiso.......

It is harder not being able to speak Spanish living here but I am learning..slowly. It is amazing how much you can communicate not knowing a language. I understand mostly what people are getting at but getting it to leave my mouth is another story!
I know many non speaking spanish peeps who live here, it's up to them if they want to learn. You don't have to but it sure helps A LOT!
I'm not a hippy but a nutter for sure :)
I actually like the adventure not really knowing what is going on half the time and I will eventually pick it up. It does help that my wife speaks Spanish pretty well.

If I had a lot of money I would probably do 9 months here and 3 months elsewhere. 6 months in a civilized Country sounds like too much to me!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Contango is 6 & 6 already....

in reality, he's doing fine... no need to do anything.... move

why not just keep doing 6/6?
12 months here would not be doable for me....

too tough

I'm closer to 8 when I do the math - but well broken up for sanity.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It is harder not being able to speak Spanish living here but I am learning..slowly. It is amazing how much you can communicate not knowing a language. I understand mostly what people are getting at but getting it to leave my mouth is another story!
I know many non speaking spanish peeps who live here, it's up to them if they want to learn. You don't have to but it sure helps A LOT!
I'm not a hippy but a nutter for sure :)
I actually like the adventure not really knowing what is going on half the time and I will eventually pick it up. It does help that my wife speaks Spanish pretty well.

If I had a lot of money I would probably do 9 months here and 3 months elsewhere. 6 months in a civilized Country sounds like too much to me!

therein lies the problem w/ many...

they're here b/c they can't afford to be anywhere else.

Today was really hard not speaking Spanish, our guard we used when we first moved here, 16 month yr old died today and it was horrific seeing that lil body in a see through coffin and the mother yelling and crying hysterically. It was her only child and she is only 17. We stayed for hours and I did my best but I would have really loved to have said more.
The whole Barrio was a disaster.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I also don't get how can someone move to another country where they have no family and leave everything behind, it always has made me wonder what type of person does this and then brag on how they live big in the DR but, can't afford frequent trips back and/or have a second home. Only in the DR.

I also don't get how can someone move to another country where they have no family and leave everything behind, it always has made me wonder what type of person does this and then brag on how they live big in the DR but, can't afford frequent trips back and/or have a second home only in the DR.

Not everyone has a huge close Family, I miss my friends way more than any of my Family (other than my 99 yr old g'ma that raised me).

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
I also don't get how can someone move to another country where they have no family and leave everything behind, it always has made me wonder what type of person does this and then brag on how they live big in the DR but, can't afford frequent trips back and/or have a second home. Only in the DR.

Dominicans do it all the time when they migrate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
How does a non speaking person move here and start a new life?
Easy if you have enough money. First year you pay gringo price for everything. Then you start to speak Spanish (it's easy if you live here), you start to get the right connections, you understand how things work here... you buy a house/apartment, nicely decorate it, buy a nice car, find your favorite restaurant or cafe where you love to go every day, some friends, you get used to some nice local things and services like colmados and cabanas, you start to drive like crazy, park your car like an idiot, you don't care about traffic police, about any rules, laws, you just live a "not giving a f#ck" life, and sooner or later you understand that there's no reason to go back to your home country, because you love it here. Yes, DR is a sh1thole, but you love it anyway.

But if you don't have stable source of income or enough savings, the picture is totally different.

Sep 4, 2012
Yep.. Then you have those that like feeling superior to others and choose the DR to try and be the big fish in a small pond.

Ding, ding, and we have a winner. Spot on!! This statement has so many names on it but one come to mind specifically.

Too bad my time isn't devoted to losers, otherwise would have toy with the thought to mention it.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The one and only reason I live in DR is because 14 years ago I fell in love with a girl, we married 11 years ago and even though we tried living in my country for 5 years, we decided to come back. It's just too big a hassle to pack our things again, especially since Europe is still not the best place to find work currently else we'd be going back to boring, average but hassle free life.

The one and only reason I live in DR is because 14 years ago I fell in love with a girl, we married 11 years ago and even though we tried living in my country for 5 years, we decided to come back. It's just too big a hassle to pack our things again, especially since Europe is still not the best place to find work currently else we'd be going back to boring, average but hassle free life.

I understand, we could have a better life where we are from but it is boring in comparison to here and well I love my wife and she is in no pain here. No question where the better place to live is! I still choose here!