How much should I pay a maid for 3 hours work, once a week in SD?

intedserve

Mar 24, 2014
Hi

How much should I pay a maid for 3 hours work, once a week in Piantinni, Santo Domingo?

Thanks!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
$500 is about right for 3 hrs in the area you live. I am in El Millon and taking what I pay my maid and then dividing it for 3 hrs that sounds about right. Keep in mind the area you live in, $500 really is more or less the norm.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
We pay 500 RD$ for 3 hours, incl. commuting expenses. And she is eating breakfast with us.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
We pay 500 RD$ for 3 hours, incl. commuting expenses. And she is eating breakfast with us.

She has to clean one Apartment and the terrace .

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What does the area have to do with it? Wages in the capital are higher than in el campo, but it doesn't matter if it's in Piantini, Millon, Los Cacicazgos or Gazcue.

500 pesos for three hours is a lot though, is she doing another house after yours, than 300 should do. Is she going home after yours, pay her 500 and tell her to stay the whole day and cook as well.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
What does the area have to do with it? Wages in the capital are higher than in el campo, but it doesn't matter if it's in Piantini, Millon, Los Cacicazgos or Gazcue.
You know, when Dominican cleaning lady comes to the new tower in Piantini with nice lobby, modern elevator, parking full of new Porsches, she expects to be paid better than in Gazcue or El Millon:) Especially if the owner is a foreigner.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

500 pesos for three hours is a lot though, is she doing another house after yours, than 300 should do. Is she going home after yours, pay her 500 and tell her to stay the whole day and cook as well.

The area believe it or not does have a lot to do with it. There a 3 people where I live that I know use a housekeeper. Pretty much they all perform the same duties and the pay is pretty much the same. However a friend of ours has a condo in a highrise on the Malecon and he pays almost double for the same service I am getting. I am happy with my housekeeper and trust her. That is well worth the price I pay.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The area is really a question of transport. If you are close to publico routes that will only cost one carro for your cleaner, that makes the job easier.

Some cleaners will do two houses in one day.

Personally, I could not pay someone 75 pesos an hour. That is $1.78. What is the work worth to you? Will she do the laundry for example? Change the sheets? Wash the toilet and tub? Mob the floor? Scrub the stove? Clean out the fridge? Get on a step stool and wash the windows? Water the plants? Take out the trash? Will you trust her not to go into your drawers and steal something? Not pick up change or a loose peso note that you might leave lying around?

Being a maid is an intimate job requiring someone of competence and trustworthiness and loyalty.

In this, as in most things. you get what you pay for.

$700 pesos a day was the going rate for a maid in Gazcue SIX years ago.

May 5, 2007
You are talking a couple dollars one way or the other, the few extra dollars will make for a happy employee and result should more than make up any difference Think about it as the "extra" allowing her to buy chicken to go with the rice for her kids

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Pay the cu?ada 500 peso's for the job once a week. washing if any, floors, walls, fans, stove top. takes her about 3 hours, 100 for transport. Never have a worry about something going missing.