Recommend good place for motorcycle ride within 100km of POP?

CanadianPhil

Nov 29, 2005
Hello,
I rented a new rtr180 motorcycle and am enjoying riding around the country very much.
Not a big fan of the city riding here. This bike does fine on rough roads and mild offroad only.
So far have been to cabarete, sosua, top of the Jesus statue mountain in pop (wow that road kicked ass - so much fun), rode to 27 waterfalls and did the full tour-amazing, luperon beach, imbert, and lots of side gravel roads in between.

Can anyone recommend any other good places to ride to within around 100km of POP?

A Dominican at my hotel recommended the beach in luperon as it is his home town.
Can any of you guys give me other places that are interesting?

Loving it here, too bad we go home in three days...
Thanks!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ride to Las Terrenas and back. It's about 170km one way, and takes about 2:40, but you're riding a long the coast. Very beautiful.

Frank

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
From POP go through Cabarete and take a right on the road that goes to Moca towards Santiago. Its a funny right witha bunch of Motoconchos sitting there. Some pretty nice views over there. Once you take a right it is about a half hour or so depending on how fast you go. Once you get to the old cock fighting ring on the sharp up hill turns you are about half way there.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
From POP go through Cabarete and take a right on the road that goes to Moca towards Santiago. Its a funny right witha bunch of Motoconchos sitting there. Some pretty nice views over there. Once you take a right it is about a half hour or so depending on how fast you go. Once you get to the old cock fighting ring on the sharp up hill turns you are about half way there.

Yes, this is also an excellent recommendation. As Bo said, turn right at the intersection before the bridge that goes to Sabaneta. This is the road to Jamao and Moca. It's 203 curves from this intersection to Moca. It's a stunning drive, but also needs to be taken with caution as there are hundreds of curves. Stop at the top at "La Cumbre" restaurant and take in the view overlooking Santiago Valley. Absolutely stunning drive! Here is a sample of it coming the opposite direction from Moca to the top of La Cumbre. This has 50 curves coming from the opposite direction--heading North back to Cabarete:

[video=youtube_share;O85HM6a2-mg]http://youtu.be/O85HM6a2-mg[/video]

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
A nice ride from Puerto Plata is the Ruta Panoramica..just past Star Hills /Palms take the right at the bottom of the hill ( Gran Parada) the road is a bit rough but totally do-able!! Does go through to Santiago..but we hop in the little Tracker every couple weeks jut to see the views from 1000 feet!! Lots of little roadside stops.. usually Plaza Tubagua for an ice cold Presidente..the road is about 28 miles..well worth it!! If you know something of Dominican history..3/4 of the way to Santiago..watch for signs..there is a hike to the monument of the "Hermanas Mirabel" Enjoy!!!

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
If the sisters are haunting I would only worry if I were a descendent of the Trujillo regime!!!

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Frank, You have much more confidence on a bike than I do...what I meant to say is you are ****ing nutz I just watched a few of your bike videos on youtube. I ride slower every year so I can only imagine how you rode when you were 21.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank, You have much more confidence on a bike than I do...what I meant to say is you are ****ing nutz I just watched a few of your bike videos on youtube. I ride slower every year so I can only imagine how you rode when you were 21.

Unfortunately--and i do me unfortunately--you got to wreck a lot in order to get good.

Frank

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Do you... Im impressed. The wrecks actually are what slow me down...Im much slower getting back up now and Of all the things I remember with my limited brain power it is the pain that they cause. I just stepped my game up with a 1986 redline.... Peddaling a bmx with one gear is no joke.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Unfortunately--and i do me unfortunately--you got to wreck a lot in order to get good.

Frank

I meant to say this: Unfortunately--and i do mean unfortunately--you got to wreck a lot in order to get good.

...and this:

"Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death." -- Earl Wilson

" Life's tough........It's even tougher if you're stupid."-- John Wayne

"A day without motorcycling isn't the end of the world but it's so damn close."

"They should take the warning labels off of everything and let stupidity sort itself out."

"If you feel you're in control you're not going fast enough" ~ Mario Andretti

Frank

CanadianPhil

Nov 29, 2005
Thanks for all the tips guys. We went toward ltr yesterday made most of the way there but decided to turn back as my girlfriend was getting tired, she's not used to full days of riding and stuff.

I agree with frank crashing is normal. I have raced offroad for many years and crash almost every time out at least once. If you aren't crashing then riding too slow. Howerver riding gear back home is carbon fibre helmet and full body armour and riding boots. Here for me it is jeans tshirt hiking boots and a laughable helmet so get-offs should be avoided haha

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Ride to Las Terrenas and back. It's about 170km one way, and takes about 2:40, but you're riding a long the coast. Very beautiful.

Frank

When you go to LT go over the mountain on the old road which has many curves and switchbacks and on the way back take the new highway which is spectacular ride carved through the hills with ocean views the entire length into El Catey. To access the old mountain road go by Sanchez and very quickly after you pass the Texaco station on your left you will make a hard left and start to climb the hill. If you go straight you will be heading to Samana City. The old mountain road is about 12km. Have fun.

LTSteve

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Yes, this is also an excellent recommendation. As Bo said, turn right at the intersection before the bridge that goes to Sabaneta. This is the road to Jamao and Moca. It's 203 curves from this intersection to Moca. It's a stunning drive, but also needs to be taken with caution as there are hundreds of curves. Stop at the top at "La Cumbre" restaurant and take in the view overlooking Santiago Valley. Absolutely stunning drive! Here is a sample of it coming the opposite direction from Moca to the top of La Cumbre. This has 50 curves coming from the opposite direction--heading North back to Cabarete:

[video=youtube_share;O85HM6a2-mg]http://youtu.be/O85HM6a2-mg[/video]

Curves are fun! 203 curves sounds like a blast! Drob and I are planning on doing this ride in the very near future.