Another Punta Cana Fire

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The area needs an increased firefighting capacity

The message that most of these fires originated in and around kitchen areas of restaurants obviously tells us fire safety standards are minimal, rarely complied with, and loosely enforced; if enforced at all.

It is unfortunate there were injuries at the fire at Dreams. We now can expect there will be more attention paid towards reducing the fire risks at resorts and restaurants only because tourists were among the injured this time.

The Punta Cana tourist zone has only one working public fire engine in service to attend the needs of a very widespread area. Public fire equipment and squads from Higuey, Yuma, and La Romana will assist. But, by the time these groups arrive on scene the damage has been done.

Punta Cana airport has an excellent fire crew and modern equipment. However, this squadron is not supposed to leave the airport area under its umbrella per an international accord that requires a fully maintained and equipped fire squadron be at the airport 24/7. Some resorts do have their own fire fighting equipment but are loath to lend them and their crews out.

This recent rash of fires, especially at the resorts can be the pitre dish for the growth of many rumors regarding the origin of the fires.

What is not rumor is the area needs an increased firefighting capacity. There will be some assistance in the near future with the arrival of equipment donated through the efforts of Firefighters Without Borders of Canada.

Regards,

PJT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is unfortunate there were injuries at the fire at Dreams. We now can expect there will be more attention paid towards reducing the fire risks at resorts and restaurants only because tourists were among the injured this time.

PJT

I doubt that. I doubt that very much.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Risks ?

I doubt that. I doubt that very much.

Maybe so. You have reasonable doubts knowing the do nothing culture of the Dominican Republic.

However, it only needs one spark (no pun intended) to create a smoke cloud large enough to get the attention of foreign states and news media salivating for a news teaser for consumer travel story of the risks vacationing in the DR. It all depends on who is pushing the panic buttons. Is the DR willing to risk the bad exposure ?

It was a few years back there was an outbreak of travelers diarrhea/food poisoning cases happening in resorts on the north coast. The Canadian and UK governments stepped in and demanded the DR to inspect and enforce sanitation in the kitchens and buffets at the resorts or face formal foreign government advisories against travel to the DR.

They got results, the resorts cleaned up.

Regards,

PJT