Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default graduates with less jobs than analphabets

    diario libre reports: Universitarios dominicanos con menos empleos que los analfabetos, según estudio - DiarioLibre.com

    the unemployment rate among the uneducated and/or illiterates is 4.5% but among university graduates it is up to 15%.
    furthermore the unemployment is much higher among women than men and among the population under 24, in comparison to those over 45.

  2. Likes tommeyers liked this post
  3. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    diario libre reports: Universitarios dominicanos con menos empleos que los analfabetos, según estudio - DiarioLibre.com

    the unemployment rate among the uneducated and/or illiterates is 4.5% but among university graduates it is up to 15%.
    furthermore the unemployment is much higher among women than men and among the population under 24, in comparison to those over 45.
    Could this be because most Dominicans, once graduated, will not accept a job unless it is up to their "standards" in title and pay? I know of a few who would not take jobs because that was not what they studied, or they felt that it didn't pay enough. There are some who will though....I know an architect that is right now a secretary.

    SHALENA

  4. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    yeah, graduates may demand a higher pay. but also complete morons graduate and cannot find a job on the account of being... well... morons.

  5. Likes Criss Colon, SKing, ROLLOUT, greydread liked this post
  6. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    Could this be because most Dominicans, once graduated, will not accept a job unless it is up to their "standards" in title and pay? I know of a few who would not take jobs because that was not what they studied, or they felt that it didn't pay enough. There are some who will though....I know an architect that is right now a secretary.

    SHALENA

    It´s not the title as much as the pay. If that were true, Dominicans wouldn´t want to go abroad to do menial jobs. There are people with college degrees here who are abroad taking care of old people, driving cabs, working as restaurant cashiers and waiters. Why? Because these jobs in the U.S., even though being for unskilled people, pay better than what they used to make here.

    By the way, why don´t you accept a job as a nurse here? You´ve got your answer there.

  7. #5
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In the DR it's who you know and I think many with connections get jobs with the DR Gov where they get decent benefits. In a country that is service oriented it is hard to get a good paying job unless you have technical skill, such as, lawyer, engineer or doctor.

  8. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaita29 View Post
    It´s not the title as much as the pay. If that were true, Dominicans wouldn´t want to go abroad to do menial jobs. There are people with college degrees here who are abroad taking care of old people, driving cabs, working as restaurant cashiers and waiters. Why? Because these jobs in the U.S., even though being for unskilled people, pay better than what they used to make here.

    By the way, why don´t you accept a job as a nurse here? You´ve got your answer there.
    Hooey! Just because you went to school and presumably got an education does not mean that you acquired any skills or a skillset in demand. Doing those unskilled job in the US only makes sense if you are not paying to live there. Because in the US the cost of living is higher and your meager earnings dont do much for you living there. It only works to your advantage if you dont have to pay to live there so you can forward all your earnings back home to where you do reside.

    It is the title more than the pay. The pay is important but they wouldnt know the difference between low pay and respectable pay. I met a woman who never worked a day in her life and told me she was a professional because she went to university(solely) but she didnt have a job to match her claim of being professional. She was expecting a job with a title and some business cards that read Licensiada.

  9. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Ooh La La, USN View Post
    Hooey! Just because you went to school and presumably got an education does not mean that you acquired any skills or a skillset in demand. Doing those unskilled job in the US only makes sense if you are not paying to live there. Because in the US the cost of living is higher and your meager earnings dont do much for you living there. It only works to your advantage if you dont have to pay to live there so you can forward all your earnings back home to where you do reside.

    It is the title more than the pay. The pay is important but they wouldn't know the difference between low pay and respectable pay. I met a woman who never worked a day in her life and told me she was a professional because she went to university(solely) but she didnt have a job to match her claim of being professional. She was expecting a job with a title and some business cards that read Licensiada.

    Menial jobs pay in the U.S. enough for a person to make a decent living. You say that taking a job like that is only good if you are not paying to live there but that is not true. Many Dominicans who live in The States pay rent, have a decent living and still have enough to send home. Of course, for a gringo it makes them look better to say that they don´t pay to live there.

    Do you have a job here? I bet that you don´t. Would you take one? I doubt it! It´s very easy to talk when you´re a gringo sitting on a pension or working from a company abroad. Most people on this site would rather die than take a typical local low paying job.
    Last edited by Aguaita29; 05-14-2014 at 09:06 AM.

  10. Likes bronzeallspice, DOC1727 liked this post
  11. #8
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaita29 View Post
    Menial jobs pay in the U.S. enough for a person to make a decent living. You say that taking a job like that is only good if you are not paying to live there but that is not true. Many Dominicans who live in The States pay rent, have a decent living and still have enough to send home. Of course, for a gringo it makes them look better to say that they don´t pay to live there.

    Do you have a job here? I bet that you don´t. Would you take one? I doubt it! It´s very easy to talk when you´re a gringo sitting on a pension or working from a company abroad. Most people on this site would rather die than take a typical local low paying job.
    Yes! Many Dominicans abroad work in low paying jobs, working as cab drivers, waitresses
    dishwashers in restaurants AND pay cost of living expenses AND still have enough to send
    back home to their poor families because they live together as a family in order to survive
    just like back home in the DR. They share the expenses.

  12. Likes Aguaita29, DOC1727, greydread liked this post
  13. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    21,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When I went to the Salem Massachusetts Social Security office at 62 years of age to apply for my benefits, I was not only te oldest person there, I was the only "Gringo"!
    The rest were 20 something Dominicans applying for Social Security Disability benefits!
    Dis Contry Bean Berry Berry Gud For ME"!!!!!!
    As far as "SKing" getting a "Nursing Job" here in the DR goes,, she and her family want to EAT something most days!
    I was sitting on my sister's front porch in Lynn Massachusetts, when the "Garbage Truck" stopped by.
    The guys were speaking "Dominican" so I asked them if the pay was better for a "Garbage Man" in SD, or Lynn?????
    We all had a good laugh !!!!!!
    My Dominican wife worked in the USA for two years, mostly with other Dominicans, they all talked about going on "SSI" as their "GOAL"!!!!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

  14. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i know exactly what's that about. i left poland with MA diploma in my hand and worked as a cleaner in london before finally getting into an office job. nothing related to my studies, of course.

  15. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •