graduates with less jobs than analphabets

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
diario libre reports: Universitarios dominicanos con menos empleos que los analfabetos, seg?n estudio - DiarioLibre.com

the unemployment rate among the uneducated and/or illiterates is 4.5% but among university graduates it is up to 15%.
furthermore the unemployment is much higher among women than men and among the population under 24, in comparison to those over 45.

Could this be because most Dominicans, once graduated, will not accept a job unless it is up to their "standards" in title and pay? I know of a few who would not take jobs because that was not what they studied, or they felt that it didn't pay enough. There are some who will though....I know an architect that is right now a secretary.

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, graduates may demand a higher pay. but also complete morons graduate and cannot find a job on the account of being... well... morons.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Could this be because most Dominicans, once graduated, will not accept a job unless it is up to their "standards" in title and pay? I know of a few who would not take jobs because that was not what they studied, or they felt that it didn't pay enough. There are some who will though....I know an architect that is right now a secretary.

SHALENA

It?s not the title as much as the pay. If that were true, Dominicans wouldn?t want to go abroad to do menial jobs. There are people with college degrees here who are abroad taking care of old people, driving cabs, working as restaurant cashiers and waiters. Why? Because these jobs in the U.S., even though being for unskilled people, pay better than what they used to make here.

By the way, why don?t you accept a job as a nurse here? You?ve got your answer there.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
In the DR it's who you know and I think many with connections get jobs with the DR Gov where they get decent benefits. In a country that is service oriented it is hard to get a good paying job unless you have technical skill, such as, lawyer, engineer or doctor.

Apr 7, 2014
It?s not the title as much as the pay. If that were true, Dominicans wouldn?t want to go abroad to do menial jobs. There are people with college degrees here who are abroad taking care of old people, driving cabs, working as restaurant cashiers and waiters. Why? Because these jobs in the U.S., even though being for unskilled people, pay better than what they used to make here.

By the way, why don?t you accept a job as a nurse here? You?ve got your answer there.

Hooey! Just because you went to school and presumably got an education does not mean that you acquired any skills or a skillset in demand. Doing those unskilled job in the US only makes sense if you are not paying to live there. Because in the US the cost of living is higher and your meager earnings dont do much for you living there. It only works to your advantage if you dont have to pay to live there so you can forward all your earnings back home to where you do reside.

It is the title more than the pay. The pay is important but they wouldnt know the difference between low pay and respectable pay. I met a woman who never worked a day in her life and told me she was a professional because she went to university(solely) but she didnt have a job to match her claim of being professional. She was expecting a job with a title and some business cards that read Licensiada.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hooey! Just because you went to school and presumably got an education does not mean that you acquired any skills or a skillset in demand. Doing those unskilled job in the US only makes sense if you are not paying to live there. Because in the US the cost of living is higher and your meager earnings dont do much for you living there. It only works to your advantage if you dont have to pay to live there so you can forward all your earnings back home to where you do reside.

It is the title more than the pay. The pay is important but they wouldn't know the difference between low pay and respectable pay. I met a woman who never worked a day in her life and told me she was a professional because she went to university(solely) but she didnt have a job to match her claim of being professional. She was expecting a job with a title and some business cards that read Licensiada.

Menial jobs pay in the U.S. enough for a person to make a decent living. You say that taking a job like that is only good if you are not paying to live there but that is not true. Many Dominicans who live in The States pay rent, have a decent living and still have enough to send home. Of course, for a gringo it makes them look better to say that they don?t pay to live there.

Do you have a job here? I bet that you don?t. Would you take one? I doubt it! It?s very easy to talk when you?re a gringo sitting on a pension or working from a company abroad. Most people on this site would rather die than take a typical local low paying job.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Menial jobs pay in the U.S. enough for a person to make a decent living. You say that taking a job like that is only good if you are not paying to live there but that is not true. Many Dominicans who live in The States pay rent, have a decent living and still have enough to send home. Of course, for a gringo it makes them look better to say that they don?t pay to live there.

Do you have a job here? I bet that you don?t. Would you take one? I doubt it! It?s very easy to talk when you?re a gringo sitting on a pension or working from a company abroad. Most people on this site would rather die than take a typical local low paying job.

Yes! Many Dominicans abroad work in low paying jobs, working as cab drivers, waitresses
dishwashers in restaurants AND pay cost of living expenses AND still have enough to send
back home to their poor families because they live together as a family in order to survive
just like back home in the DR. They share the expenses.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I went to the Salem Massachusetts Social Security office at 62 years of age to apply for my benefits, I was not only te oldest person there, I was the only "Gringo"!
The rest were 20 something Dominicans applying for Social Security Disability benefits!
Dis Contry Bean Berry Berry Gud For ME"!!!!!!
As far as "SKing" getting a "Nursing Job" here in the DR goes,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:, she and her family want to EAT something most days!
I was sitting on my sister's front porch in Lynn Massachusetts, when the "Garbage Truck" stopped by.
The guys were speaking "Dominican" so I asked them if the pay was better for a "Garbage Man" in SD, or Lynn?????
We all had a good laugh !!!!!!
My Dominican wife worked in the USA for two years, mostly with other Dominicans, they all talked about going on "SSI" as their "GOAL"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know exactly what's that about. i left poland with MA diploma in my hand and worked as a cleaner in london before finally getting into an office job. nothing related to my studies, of course.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013

I never knew either that people live RENT FREE in here! I have seen these people! they work, they pay their rents, maybe sharing an appartment, but they seem happy and drinking their CERVESAS! I live in Boston and there is a decent dominican population in and around Boston.
The problem in these third world countries is the fact that most people who went to Univiserties think they are automatically qualified for any job, therefore they will not do any job. Even people who finish high school think they are qualified for higher positions! If you have connections in the government, with or without University, you won't have any issues getting a job

Last edited:

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
When I went to the Salem Massachusetts Social Security office at 62 years of age to apply for my benefits, I was not only te oldest person there, I was the only "Gringo"!
The rest were 20 something Dominicans applying for Social Security Disability benefits!
Dis Contry Bean Berry Berry Gud For ME"!!!!!!
As far as "SKing" getting a "Nursing Job" here in the DR goes,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:, she and her family want to EAT something most days!
I was sitting on my sister's front porch in Lynn Massachusetts, when the "Garbage Truck" stopped by.
The guys were speaking "Dominican" so I asked them if the pay was better for a "Garbage Man" in SD, or Lynn?????
We all had a good laugh !!!!!!
My Dominican wife worked in the USA for two years, mostly with other Dominicans, they all talked about going on "SSI" as their "GOAL"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lynn is one of the BASTIONS of dominicans! A lot cars accidents! They would not come back to DR like that!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Boston HAS a "Dominican Population", whether, or NOT, they are "DESCENT" is up to debate!!!!!!!
The "Dominicanas" working the "Combat Zone", DO provide a SERVICE, however!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

My wife was asked, MANY TIMES, if she wanted to be an "Injured Passenger" in the "Fake Accident Scam"!

Apr 7, 2014

Double Hooey! People only make it in the US from menial jobs because of government subsidies that cover some/most/all of their living expenses. A menial job with a menial wage does not allow any one to pay their rent at market value AND live in a house with utilities and have a cupboard replete with food. Something has to give and usually it is the food. These studious Dominicans(or others from afar) that come to the US and do that work AND have money to send home do so because wherever they are staying someone is gaming the system. Someone is getting food stamps, Medicaid, SSI, or Plan Ocho(Section 8) housing vouchers or a HEAP utility allowance or something of that nature. This allows them to say that in NY they are child psychologists because they studied psychology at UASD or UNIBE. In reality they are an attendant at a child care facility earning $9/hour for a 36 hour week. Even at a 40 hour week subtracting ONLY federal taxes that doesnt cover housing anywhere in most big cities with large immigrant populations. The decent living only happens when all your money can be wired home for your standard of living there.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Double Hooey! People only make it in the US from menial jobs because of government subsidies that cover some/most/all of their living expenses. A menial job with a menial wage does not allow any one to pay their rent at market value AND live in a house with utilities and have a cupboard replete with food. Something has to give and usually it is the food. These studious Dominicans(or others from afar) that come to the US and do that work AND have money to send home do so because wherever they are staying someone is gaming the system. Someone is getting food stamps, Medicaid, SSI, or Plan Ocho(Section 8) housing vouchers or a HEAP utility allowance or something of that nature. This allows them to say that in NY they are child psychologists because they studied psychology at UASD or UNIBE. In reality they are an attendant at a child care facility earning $9/hour for a 36 hour week. Even at a 40 hour week subtracting ONLY federal taxes that doesnt cover housing anywhere in most big cities with large immigrant populations. The decent living only happens when all your money can be wired home for your standard of living there.

I know someone who used to drive a taxi, lived alone in a small apartment, and yes still paid for rent, utilities, food and still was able to support his family in the D.R. I know someone else with the same job, who lived with a roommate and shared expenses. Same thing!

Someone having a "decent" life, for gringos that might mean 4 flatscreen tv?s, a Mercedes, etc. but remember that for an immigrant, it may have a different meaning. For someone from a poor country, if they have electricity, water, good, a clean place to live in a neighborhood where kids can freely ride their bikes, that?s a decent life!!!

There?s a great variety of jobs that are not considered good in certain countries, but that in the U.S. make more money, or are considered better. For example, Shalena, she?s a nurse.She?s said it herself that she?d like to find a nursing job here that pays as much as the one she has over there. Here, nursing is a job that not many want. It?s something that women get into "to do something", because of their limited options. A job here as a nurse is not lucrative or desired. It?s almost like being a police officer.

By the way, getting back to "title or pay", which is what started this discussion. I?ll give you an example: Most people who work in the courts as secretaries, have university degrees. If everyone cared so much for titles, all of these jobs would be vacant. But they are not because they provide stability, health insurance, school bonds to help out those who have kids, etc.

No doubt many people care about titles, but what most people really want is a stable job to support their family.

Apr 7, 2014
I know someone who used to drive a taxi, lived alone in a small apartment, and yes still paid for rent, utilities, food and still was able to support his family in the D.R. I know someone else with the same job, who lived with a roommate and shared expenses. Same thing!

Someone having a "decent" life, for gringos that might mean 4 flatscreen tv?s, a Mercedes, etc. but remember that for an immigrant, it may have a different meaning. For someone from a poor country, if they have electricity, water, good, a clean place to live in a neighborhood where kids can freely ride their bikes, that?s a decent life!!!

There?s a great variety of jobs that are not considered good in certain countries, but that in the U.S. make more money, or are considered better. For example, Shalena, she?s a nurse.She?s said it herself that she?d like to find a nursing job here that pays as much as the one she has over there. Here, nursing is a job that not many want. It?s something that women get into "to do something", because of their limited options. A job here as a nurse is not lucrative or desired. It?s almost like being a police officer.

By the way, getting back to "title or pay", which is what started this discussion. I?ll give you an example: Most people who work in the courts as secretaries, have university degrees. If everyone cared so much for titles, all of these jobs would be vacant. But they are not because they provide stability, health insurance, school bonds to help out those who have kids, etc.

No doubt many people care about titles, but what most people really want is a stable job to support their family.

Ok, now...if you are talking about a man who drove taxi and who lived in New York City. I d like to ask you...this person...were they squatting in a Rent Controlled or Rent Subsidized Apartment? That happens so much but no one talks about it. You ll have a person living in an apartment with an $85 rent set back in 1979. The original occupant has returned to DR in 1990 to live off their retirement savings and US Social Security but still has their name on a lease and utility bill in Manhattan? Were that apartment listed on the open market it would probably be 200-300x more expensive.

Nursing isnt an occupation in the DR because the so many doctors are incompetent that they couldnt have any educated subordinates pointing that out.

Having a roommate after your college years, isnt living.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

I agree. I have met many.....almost ALL are scamming the system one way or another.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

That explains that most of the time when I do volunteer work the docs ask me "Why don't you become a Doctor?" or "You should be a Doctor."

SHALENA