dominican driving licence

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi erveryone

I should go for dominican driving licence...

What must I do and where (I'm in Sosua)

Thanks for your answers

:)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
First off you need a Dominican Cedula which you would get with either temporary or permanent Residency.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hi erveryone

I should go for dominican driving licence...

What must I do and where (I'm in Sosua)

Thanks for your answers

:)
Do you have a Dominican ID-card (c?dula de identidad)?

If not, go and get your residency first!

If yes and you are American or you don't have a valid driving license from home you need to start from scratch, you can do this anywhere. MOPC :: Ministerio de Obras P?blicas y Comunicaciones de la Rep?blica Dominicana

If you are not American, you have a valid driving license from home and your consulate will authenticate your drivers license, use the same link MOPC :: Ministerio de Obras P?blicas y Comunicaciones de la Rep?blica Dominicana and scroll down to where it says: Para cambio de origen. Much easier but can only be done in Santo Domingo.

If you don't speak Spanish find somebody to translate for you. Good luck!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Rep Dom - there was an extensive earlier thread on this but I cant find it ! It gave all the details including the TEST. Perhaps DV8 can find it for you !

Olly and the Team

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if your Spanish is mediocre, you can get thru the testing... not hard.

with a VIP treatment, you can avoid a road test.... I have name if you need it
like a concierge for test!

POP is where you need to go.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Not sure about POP now but in La Romana you can't avoid a road test anymore since the test will be documented by cameras mounted inside the test vehicles. Saying was this is (will be) the same procedure in the whole DR now...

...but the test is a piece of cake (at least in La Romana - one round around the "manzana"...).

The other test is with a video. You just need to use common sense to pass it and know what means "Si" and "No". ;)

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Stop and see an AMET officer and tell him you want one. He will take care of it and bring you for the test.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Not To high jack the thread. But can't someone just get get an international drivers licence or maybe it's a permit and your fine with that in the DR? And since on the topic of DR drivers licence, can someone get car insurance without having a DR drivers licence?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The I'ntl ones are over rated - not worth much

I was told I needed one for Italy.... $15 at AAA and they gave me a piece of paper.

RD - the scare always is that w/o an RD licence, you have BIG trouble if you have an accident.
They may give you a policy but they abandon you when you need them... so people say

Pray you never find out !!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I drove here for 15 years.
I Always had car insurance, I NEVER had a drivers license!
That's Why I Like It HERE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"WW" I can ONLY speak of my friend's experience.
He had no DR license either.
Had DR car Ins.
Car was totaled on "La Lincon".
He got paid.
Like I said, he's just the ONE I know about.
I had a LOT of accidents here, I RAN!!!!!!

Selltech

Jun 26, 2015
I know this is an old thread but....

So here in La Romana I went to the local, DMV. Not sure the local name for it. I told them what I wanted, I had to pay 1800 pesos
at BanReserva, go to the Red Cross to get my blood typed, get a good conduct report (same day at courthouse by the police station)
and take a written exam. The written Exam is actually on a computer and you watch videos. Anyone with a knowledge of spanish
words like obra, multa, left and right can figure it out.I got only 1 wrong without even looking at the book. I have been driving in
the US for many years so pretty simular. This gets you your Temp driver's license. You need to drive with someone who has a valid
one. Once I got pulled over and my friend showed his from NY. It worked. Than 45 days later I paid 990 to BanReserva went with my
cedula, temps and drove around the block with the instructor. If you don't want an automatic car only restriction, take it with the manual
car. The route is going around the block so don't freak out too much. 5 minutes later I had my license. Easy easy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
where does it say on a dominican license that it is for automatic cars only? category 2 is simply for vehiculos livianos.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
where does it say on a dominican license that it is for automatic cars only? category 2 is simply for vehiculos livianos.

I think it is on the back, where mine says something like "Restricciones: ningunos", which I assume means I can drive either type.

By the way, don't you love it when somebody re-opens a two year old thread and you read it all thinking it is new?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Mine has lentes correctivos(glasses), transmision automatica due to taking the test in a car with automatic transmission.