New Cedulas for Foreigners Begin Today

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Good to know east coasters can renew in La Romana (if anyone goes, please let us know where it is and any challenges faced). As stated in the article, if your residency expires in the next 3 months, you have to renew it first and then get your new cedula. Also make sure you bring along your residency when you go to renew.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Does anyone know of the office in La Romana is the same as the one to get your drivers license? I have my provisional license but need to get my permanent one. Hoping to do the license and cedula at the same time.

Any links to what the new cedula looks like for foreigners?

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
does this mean if i am an american living here i can get a cedula? i don't have dominican citizenship yet but i am married to a dominican.

thanks

Ed

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Any links to what the new cedula looks like for foreigners?

jan-cedula-740247.jpg

Feb 7, 2007
I really don't understand why so many people are so inclined to put "r" at the end of word "cedula".

I see it so frequently even here on DR1.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
does this mean if i am an american living here i can get a cedula? i don't have dominican citizenship yet but i am married to a dominican.

thanks

Ed

Do a search on this board for residencia or residency and read away. It'll answer alll your questions.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

thanks

Ed

You can have a cedula if you are a legal permanent resident (you cannot vote) or if you become a naturalized citizen (can vote). If you are here beyond the validity of your tourist card, you are an illegal alien.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I really don't understand why so many people are so inclined to put "r" at the end of word "cedula".

I see it so frequently even here on DR1.

Maybe they are from Massachusetts, they have a tendency to remove the r from the words that have them and put them in words that don't . example JFK with Cubar, but they pronounce Curb as cub.:bunny:

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Will some expat who does get their new bio metric card please report back whether it is short dated or carries the renewal date paid for on the existing card? Sure wish the government would recognize all the North Coasters and set up a kiosk in POP. Anyone remember when we trooped to the JCE office in Sosua and got the biometric set-up for the first trial years ago. Wonder where all the data went?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Will some expat who does get their new bio metric card please report back whether it is short dated or carries the renewal date paid for on the existing card? Sure wish the government would recognize all the North Coasters and set up a kiosk in POP. Anyone remember when we trooped to the JCE office in Sosua and got the biometric set-up for the first trial years ago. Wonder where all the data went?

at my residency renewal, I was told that the gov't is trying to coordinate the residency and cedula dates to expire together... let's hope so.

if so, my new residency is 4 yrs.... 2018
my cedula is 2016
so maybe they'l bump the cedula up 2 yrs to match the residency

cross your fingers

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Ed

I believe that even if married to a Dominican you need to be legalized as a resident or a citizen in order to get a cedula.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is there a deadline for foreigners? My cedula is good until 2016? We aren't voting in any election.

However, since I have to renew my residency in August/September, probably should do it then and save myself a trip in 2016.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
equinn2823... your route will be easier through your marriage, I suspect.

the answer is 'yes' you can get a cedula.... in fact, you probably should