Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Portable Air Conditioners

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions on Portable Air Conditioners

I am considering getting a portable air conditioner so I could move it between rooms to cool whichever area I need, instead of buying an air conditioner for each room.

Portable air conditioners seem to be popular here, but then on the various DR classifieds sites there's tons of them for sale, far more in number than standard split ACs, which is giving me an impression that they don't work all that well. Also various internet reviews indicate that they don't perform as well as split ACs.

Without having used one, it seems that there is some negative of having one in that a door or window must be kept ajar for the exhaust tube to hang out. But I have no idea about the actual utility they have of being able to cool a room.

Anyone with a portable air conditioner care to share their experience?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend had one of these and he said that it took twice a long to cool ins bedroom as a window unit. I do not know what the capacity of either unit was, though.

The room needs to be pretty well sealed up to keep it cool.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah if people don't vent the hot air, portable AC units are fairly useless.

*** I love DR1 ***
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that makes sleeping possibly for me here is A/C. Having said that. They make window adaptors for the exhaust hose. They expand and retract respectivly.

5. Likes Jaime809 liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We thought about buying one too, but they only work well with double hung windows, which aren't common in DR.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy a "Split", an "Inverter" type!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

8. Likes AlterEgo, Mauricio liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They work great!!! I just sold mine last Month after having it for 6 Years...bought it at Carrefour In SD for 12,000 Pesos was of course 12,000 BTU, usually 1,000 pesos per unit so to speak. And, if you get cold in the cooler Months, use the exhaust for heat, just be sure the filters are clean and your good to go, no dirty air. What I liked most besides being portable, was its functions. Not just an A/C but dehumidifier, fan, and could program it to come on or off over a 12 hour duration etc. It was made by Sharp, never had an issue with it...Only negative is with portables, they need to be drained after a few hours of use but that depends on the day, condensation build up which may not happen therefore you may never need to drain it off.

This is the one I had but shows only 10,000 BTU, 100% recommend it...

Newegg.com - SHARP CVP10RC 10,000 Cooling Capacity (BTU) Portable Air Conditioner

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one which I use in different apartments when clients want one (and pay for it!). It seems to work pretty well as long as you wedge the outlet tube pointing out of a window and remember to put down and empty a draining tray for the excess water. You also need a strong enough electrical circuit to plug it in to.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

All proper A/Cs are, by definition, dehumidifiers.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shorts View Post
    I am considering getting a portable air conditioner so I could move it between rooms to cool whichever area I need, instead of buying an air conditioner for each room.

Portable air conditioners seem to be popular here, but then on the various DR classifieds sites there's tons of them for sale, far more in number than standard split ACs, which is giving me an impression that they don't work all that well. Also various internet reviews indicate that they don't perform as well as split ACs.

Without having used one, it seems that there is some negative of having one in that a door or window must be kept ajar for the exhaust tube to hang out. But I have no idea about the actual utility they have of being able to cool a room.

Anyone with a portable air conditioner care to share their experience?
    Don't buy the portables. Air conditioners need more air than what is available inside the house. When you buy a single vent, it forces the airconditioner to bring in air from the outside from various sources. You can literally feel the vacuum when you open the door and you can feel the air coming in from the fans in your bathroom. From what I have read, the dual vent, or dual air exchange portable air conditioners are not much better. I bought a Haier, and I am not happy. Going to import window units, and just replace them every four years. Such is life at the beach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast