Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Managing in the DR

I have had some experiences that I want to understand. Your informed comments please.

I had a small welding task that I asked someone to do. They said they could do it. Here it is: a 1' x 1' L with a 45 degree brace. Made from 3/4 iron tube. I prepared detailed (!) dimensional Drawings. I got Back a 12" x 13" L with. Nothing near 45 degrees. And 3 holes for mounting not the 4 I specified.

I should add that I specified 3 units be made and got 4. I didn't ask for paint but I something black. I designed it to drain water naturally but I got some kind of paper plugs.

I am not angry about this and I want to prepare for a more complex welding job (a trellis).

I want to understand the reasons. Was it: they could not read BC they needed glasses or they are unable to follow the rules or ...

how can I manage them to get what I want in the future? MicroManage them? Or ...

OR do it myself.

2. Likes IslandDreaming liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tommeyers View Post
    I have had some experiences that I want to understand. Your informed comments please.

I had a small welding task that I asked someone to do. They said they could do it. Here it is: a 1' x 1' L with a 45 degree brace. Made from 3/4 iron tube. I prepared detailed (!) dimensional Drawings. I got Back a 12" x 13" L with. Nothing near 45 degrees. And 3 holes for mounting not the 4 I specified.

I should add that I specified 3 units be made and got 4. I didn't ask for paint but I something black. I designed it to drain water naturally but I got some kind of paper plugs.

I am not angry about this and I want to prepare for a more complex welding job (a trellis).

I want to understand the reasons. Was it: they could not read BC they needed glasses or they are unable to follow the rules or ...

how can I manage them to get what I want in the future? MicroManage them? Or ...

OR do it myself.
    Yes and yes!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

OR do it myself.
    Unfortunately, a lot of people here wonŽt tell you that they donŽt know how to do something. You can tell them beforehand that if they item doesnŽt come out EXACTLY like you wanted it, like in the sketch, they are not getting paid.

And yes, youŽll have to micromanage them. Some people feel that if they are not being micromanaged, the owner of the project is in no rush or has very little interest in it.

And yes, if you know how to do something, DO IT YOURSELF.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

find a better welder and SHOW them the project.. not from blue prints. If you find someone who does the sort of work for gates and fancy bars, you should be ok. You can see that precision work is certainly not above the capacity of some in the country.

I wanted braces for the wall of the apartment for a hammock. I had not seen them.. sort of an O ring mounted. My sister, who is an architectural draftsman, was here and drew a sketch for the Haitian who does all the odd jobs, wiring, hanging stuff, etc, for us. He took the drawing, and instead of going to a hardware store and buying them.. well, perhaps they do not exist.. he had them made. I do not even know what metal they are made of., they look like bronze. not that I know what that is. But they are exquisite. made to measure exactly. Gorgeous works of art.

So I think you just had the wrong guy. Someone should be able to do a 45 degree angle. If you could see some of the iron work here in SD, it is just amazing.

6. Likes tommeyers liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually, the people that do the work think you are an idiot and they take the initiative to tweek the design and make it better. And yes, I am serious.

8. Likes fidget, N/A, Wishing you well liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    find a better welder and SHOW them the project.. not from blue prints. If you find someone who does the sort of work for gates and fancy bars, you should be ok. You can see that precision work is certainly not above the capacity of some in the country.

I wanted braces for the wall of the apartment for a hammock. I had not seen them.. sort of an O ring mounted. My sister, who is an architectural draftsman, was here and drew a sketch for the Haitian who does all the odd jobs, wiring, hanging stuff, etc, for us. He took the drawing, and instead of going to a hardware store and buying them.. well, perhaps they do not exist.. he had them made. I do not even know what metal they are made of., they look like bronze. not that I know what that is. But they are exquisite. made to measure exactly. Gorgeous works of art.

So I think you just had the wrong guy. Someone should be able to do a 45 degree angle. If you could see some of the iron work here in SD, it is just amazing.
    Very subtle mountainannie

10. Likes tommeyers liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I needed almost exactly the same thing done in Cabarete to hold some fairly heavy loudspeakers high up in my outdoor pavilion. They were done as well as I could have made them to 90 degrees and worked well.

I also had some subwoofer boxes built. Different material and a different person and from plans designed with the help of software to maximize the sound levels. They also came out well.

So it does depend upon whom you contract to do it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As Robert would say,..."It's Like "Herding Cats"!
    VERY STUPID "CATS"!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

OR do it myself.
    Do you weld???

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

OR do it myself.
    Ask CC about the time he wanted some guys to dig a well and there is your answer.

Do as much as you can by/for yourself. That is the only way to ensure quality control..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast