Pedro Clisante Closing at 6pm

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The mayor has finally listened to us restaurant/bar owners. It took many years, but the City has agreed to close Pedro Clisante each day from 6pm-6am......starting this saturday. A meeting was held at City Hall this morning at 11am to announce it. This will allow us to put tables out and people will be able to walk around safely. The street will be closed for the little Playero to Rumba. There will be issues, but I think this is a positive move.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the issue will be that someone is bound to forget that, drive through and then angrily honk at all the people. that someone could be me, ha ha ha. i drove wrong way on way streets of sosua already. :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Did they remember to build the parking garage within walking distance?

If someone parks at 5:55 PM to have dinner what will happen?

It may be a good idea overall, but as you mentioned, there are some issues. Like parking.

At the moment there is nobody having live music in that section of Sosua, but what would be the procedure if someone wanted to have some live music between, say 8PM to 12 midnight like my band used to play before on that section of the street? How could they load in and out?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Maybe they'll restrict parking on that part of PC going forward, or have the tourist police warning folks in general.

At any rate, I think it would be a great move. They did that for a concert a few years back, and it was very cool.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the issue will be that someone is bound to forget that, drive through and then angrily honk at all the people. that someone could be me, ha ha ha. i drove wrong way on way streets of sosua already. :)

Lucky you did not get a ticket. If they close the street, I am expecting barriers to be put across the ends that are closed. I know, this is the DR and I should not inject logic into this. Will there be barriers on each end?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Lucky you did not get a ticket. If they close the street, I am expecting barriers to be put across the ends that are closed. I know, this is the DR and I should not inject logic into this. Will there be barriers on each end?
I have no clue how Sosua will do it but Boca Chica has been shutting down the main drag (2 blocks) to traffic at night for years. They barricade both ends off and there are no problems, as far as I know.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Where is Ken, has he been scooped? He usually has his finger squarely on the pulse of Sosua. I do not believe it until I hear it from Ken.

miozio

May 23, 2009
The title should be "Pedro Clisante Closing for traffic at 6pm " I thought they would shut down all the bars aftr 6pm :) Yeah I know it's crazy but anything is possible in DR

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Comparing Sosua to Boca Chica is like comparing Ukraine to Belgium.

Motoconchos will object regardless.

I have no clue how Sosua will do it but Boca Chica has been shutting down the main drag (2 blocks) to traffic at night for years. They barricade both ends off and there are no problems, as far as I know.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I think I am going to drive over this weekend and check it out. My main concern is for the chicas, If they are unhappy I am unhappy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i was lucky but really i had no idea the street was one way.

i also expect some sort of barriers. hopefully they will be enough to keep the motos from crossing.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...............i also expect some sort of barriers. hopefully they will be enough to keep the motos from crossing.
More than likely there will be tourist police posted at both ends of the closed off street to prevent any vehicles, including motos from entering.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
That's good news.
Hopefully, tables outside and no traffic?
Great!
I may be tempted to go again in the evening for the first time in a long while..

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

I never see any problems here in BC, once in a while you'll see a Dominican trying to get in but he's always stopped by the fugones. Closing the street might create some "work". ;)

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Did they remember to build the parking garage within walking distance?

If someone parks at 5:55 PM to have dinner what will happen?

It may be a good idea overall, but as you mentioned, there are some issues. Like parking.

At the moment there is nobody having live music in that section of Sosua, but what would be the procedure if someone wanted to have some live music between, say 8PM to 12 midnight like my band used to play before on that section of the street? How could they load in and out?

A safe car park would be a good idea but don't expect the Sosua authorities to think ahead like that!

As for band equipment - get a trolley? :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It will be interesting to see what will happen with all the vehicles parked either on PC or in the parking space next to the pizza place.

Next to the pizza place is exactly where I used to park when we played at what was called The Coaches Corner (currently at the site is the Mamajuana Cafe). If tables are put in the street, those cars will be trapped until the next morning.