One Way Ticket- Delta

Apr 10, 2006
Just called Delta to add a new born baby to my flight itinerary.

The agent gave me a ear full about me needing a round trip or forward destination and that I "could" be denied entrance in the Dominican Republic.... she was citing some sort of "new" rule.

Has anyone been denied entrance to the DR or on a Delta flight because of having a one way?

We are going Minneapolis to JFK to Santiago within the next week.

She repeatedly told me that I need to contact the U.S. Embassy.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
All flights to DR now are required to have a roundtrip travel. To avoid get denied, simple reserve a pending 24 hour flight few hours before the flight and show them that you have return back travel. It works for me.

You dont need to contact US Embassy that IF you are staying for more than 30 days.

That was from my experience.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There have been multiple threads about this. The consensus is that the airline at JFK 'might' deny you boarding without a return ticket - by law they are supposed to. The recommendation is to buy a refundable return ticket and cash it in once you arrive in DR. [Are you not returning to the US??]

No one in DR has ever been questioned about a return flight, they don't even have access to that information.

Apr 10, 2006
I'm not sure when/if we are coming back and if all family members will be traveling back at the same time.

That's why I have a one way for myself and kids. My husband is traveling with us, he has a round trip ticket because he is coming back to work in a few weeks.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Be prepared if you stay more than 30 days, you will pay a fee, if you not aware about it.

See photo:

DRFeeTable

Apr 10, 2006
Yeah.... I know the pay scale.

I will be working on getting my dual citizenship there. I'm married to a Dominican and getting the kids Dominican passports.

They never charge us (at SDQ) when we leave if I am with my husband and step-son that are Dominicans. They charge me if I am traveling alone.

But either way... yes, I know there is a possibly fee incurred for staying longer.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
I fly Delta out of Atlanta all the time on one way tickets but then I have residency here. Only asked about it one time at check in and only had to show them my Cedula and tell them I live there.

kfrancis

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
I have been traveling in and out on one way tickets for years. POP & STI.... Never had a problem. As the above poster states, I also have residency.
Cheers!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Those that have Dominican residency are not require to show proof of return to their country of origin as they are legal residents of the DR. Only those that don't have their residency or citizenship are "by law" required to have a return ticket. Many have never been asked for their return ticket at the airport, some have. A friend had to purchase 3 open return tickets last year when leaving from Florida or they wouldn't let her board. So again, either a reimbursable ticket or a ticket you can cancel within 24 hours would be recommendable if you don't want the possible hassle at the airport.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
totally different animal for residents.

visitors s/b req'd to have a return ticket - not always enforced.
numerous threads on this.....

Apr 7, 2014
what is the difference between the price for a 1 way and a roundtrip? Just buy the roundtrip and dont use it. By law all paid seats are good for 12 months from the date of the missed flight because you already paid for the seat just missed the flight for some reason. So buy a round trip with some date way off in the future like Christmas and if you wanna take the child to see the grandparents or something in Minnesota you will already have a ticket. If you have any problems you just write the Delta website with all your particulars.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think it's that easy Cmmdr.

Change fees apply, current seat price adjustment....

I think we all agreed a while back, if you're going to'burn' the return ticket...
buy one to PR = cheapest way to burn

EDIT
your question - cost ? Double.... 50/50 each way roughly

Apr 10, 2006
My one ways were $344 each.

I might just buy refundable tickets that I can cancel for the three of us that need them...

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Have a friend who flights here with one way ticket all the times. If you are legally married to a Dominican and your kids have Dominican citizenship. I will say buy a one way ticket and then explain to the ticket counter person that you are coming here to get your Dominican residency card which your lawyer is working on it. Worst case scenario is that might be force to buy a return ticket at the airport which is about 30% chances that can happen and 70% that might not happen. So if you gamble just gamble a little here and play luck. But only do it if you can afford to buy the return ticket at the airport otherwise don't do it.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Gee you are making that soo complicated.... Just buy a damned return ticket and get on with your life !!!

Apr 13, 2011
I have been asked about my return trip when I go to the gate at the US airport (especially when I check in a bag).
I show them a print out of my return itinerary and they are happy.
So - as others mentioned - just book some refundable tickets (on any airline, does not need to be Delta) on any date after your arrival date - so you have the ticket info to show them, if asked. Then, when you arrive in the DR, you can just go online and cancel the return tickets (or change them to a future date, etc).

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Before you leave for the airport, go to your airlines web site and purchase the least expensive fully refundable ticket back to any city in U.S. (Not necessarily the city you are leaving from). As soon as you get to D.R. call and cancel it. That way you are doubly insured. Most tickets can be canceled within 24 hours of purchase at no charge. If you can't get to a phone within the 24 hours you are still covered by the "fully refundable" agreement. You will be tying up the use of that money on your credit cards limit until all the transactions cancel themselves out.

In almost 20 years of traveling to the D.R. (almost always to SDQ) I have NEVER been asked to see an onward ticket by the Dominican immigration officials. The return ticket requirements are set by the airline company and are not applied consistently. The airline is only concerned about being "on the hook" for bringing you back to U.S. soil if you are denied entry to the D.R.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I was told the same thing by American Airlines coming out of Houston to POP two weeks ago. At the ticket counter, as I was checking in, she stated their was some new rule. I just told her that I was leaving from the DR directly to work and that my company had not bought my ticket yet. No one in DR Immigration asked at all.

My question is why is Minneapolis more expensive than Denver or Chicago? A lot more!

Aug 6, 2006
The less competition there is between two points, the higher the price. They will charge the highest price they can get away with.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have been asked about my return trip when I go to the gate at the US airport (especially when I check in a bag).
I show them a print out of my return itinerary and they are happy.
So - as others mentioned - just book some refundable tickets (on any airline, does not need to be Delta) on any date after your arrival date - so you have the ticket info to show them, if asked. Then, when you arrive in the DR, you can just go online and cancel the return tickets (or change them to a future date, etc).

that's a new strategy.... book 2 one ways....
print out the return itinerary then immediately cancel the ticket using the 24 hr rule.

Voila - a return of no return !!