Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scholarships for Domincan to Finish College.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scholarships for Domincan to Finish College.

I know a Dominicana who is about to finish college with a Chemistry Degree. She cannot finish because the university requires her to pay the huge sum of $1,500 before she graduates.

Needless to say she is from a very poor family, father is dead mother has many health issues, and she cannot pay. The bank will not give her a loan until she graduated with the paper. Catch 22!

Does anyone know of scholarships or student loans, available to students such as she? So far she has hit a brick wall, the university will not help and there is no government assistance.

A quality person who has struggled hard to learn and obtain a much needed science degree in this country and the government nor the univeristy will assist. Both parties should be ashamed!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Which university is she going to? Why does the bank need her to graduate?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

What university is this? How sure are you that this isn't a ploy to get $$$$$ from you? All of our nieces and nephews have graduated in Santo Domingo, none of them had to pay anything like that. Several advanced degrees too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been made to understand that the university is UTESA!
    As to if she is trying to get money from me, that's why I'm inquiring as to why scholarship money is not available berofe I give financial help!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My stepson is graduating from APEC univ. later this year.
    If you don't "pay-as-you-go", and keep current, yo don't GO!
    Add in her "Sick Mother"story, and I smell a "Dominicana"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TELL HER YOU WILL GO WITH HER TO SPEAK DIRECTLY WITH THE UNIC. ACCOUNTS PAYABLE DEPT. and make the payment.
    See how well she like THAT idea????????????????
    If you are not living herewith her,it's a SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband is studying law at UTESA. Each semester you have to pay incrision. That is around RD$ 2000 so like US$43. If you don't pay you can't do the course. He studies between 6 and 7 courses a semester which costs us the same - around RD$2,000 or RD$2500 a month. If you don't pay you can't continue. No one can run up a bill of US$1,500. Sorry is not possible. You don't pay you don't study.

Matilda

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Criss. The water is muddier after some reading. A post here gives it a thumbs down so to speak http://dr1.com/forums/living/20290-w...ity-utesa.html ; while Wikipedia say and I quote "UTESA is recognized as one of the highest-ranking universities in the Dominican Republic, with emphasis on branches of health and of engineering." Universidad Tecnológica de Santiago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Who do I believe?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Criss. The water is muddier after some reading. A post here gives it a thumbs down so to speak http://dr1.com/forums/living/20290-w...ity-utesa.html ; while Wikipedia say and I quote "UTESA is recognized as one of the highest-ranking universities in the Dominican Republic, with emphasis on branches of health and of engineering." Universidad Tecnológica de Santiago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Who do I believe?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the only thing for certain is that the Dominicana in question would like someone to give her $1500. Perhaps she would be as happy with $64,500 pesos as well.

10. Likes Commander Ooh La La, USN liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

you sure it isn't 1500 dop ??
    what I understood some schools have some sort of a fee that they require you to pay before graduation.
    My wife studied at APEC and there is she had to pay 10.000 DOP.... but a clear anwser to my queston for what reason that is, was not given.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast