Scholarships for Domincan to Finish College.

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
I know a Dominicana who is about to finish college with a Chemistry Degree. She cannot finish because the university requires her to pay the huge sum of $1,500 before she graduates.

Needless to say she is from a very poor family, father is dead mother has many health issues, and she cannot pay. The bank will not give her a loan until she graduated with the paper. Catch 22!

Does anyone know of scholarships or student loans, available to students such as she? So far she has hit a brick wall, the university will not help and there is no government assistance.

A quality person who has struggled hard to learn and obtain a much needed science degree in this country and the government nor the univeristy will assist. Both parties should be ashamed!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What university is this? How sure are you that this isn't a ploy to get $$$$$ from you? All of our nieces and nephews have graduated in Santo Domingo, none of them had to pay anything like that. Several advanced degrees too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
I have been made to understand that the university is UTESA!
As to if she is trying to get money from me, that's why I'm inquiring as to why scholarship money is not available berofe I give financial help!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My stepson is graduating from APEC univ. later this year.
If you don't "pay-as-you-go", and keep current, yo don't GO!
Add in her "Sick Mother"story, and I smell a "Dominicana"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TELL HER YOU WILL GO WITH HER TO SPEAK DIRECTLY WITH THE UNIC. ACCOUNTS PAYABLE DEPT. and make the payment.
See how well she like THAT idea????????????????
If you are not living herewith her,it's a SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My husband is studying law at UTESA. Each semester you have to pay incrision. That is around RD$ 2000 so like US$43. If you don't pay you can't do the course. He studies between 6 and 7 courses a semester which costs us the same - around RD$2,000 or RD$2500 a month. If you don't pay you can't continue. No one can run up a bill of US$1,500. Sorry is not possible. You don't pay you don't study.

Matilda

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
Aug 6, 2006
I think the only thing for certain is that the Dominicana in question would like someone to give her $1500. Perhaps she would be as happy with $64,500 pesos as well.

Doncamilo

Jun 22, 2012
you sure it isn't 1500 dop ??
what I understood some schools have some sort of a fee that they require you to pay before graduation.
My wife studied at APEC and there is she had to pay 10.000 DOP.... but a clear anwser to my queston for what reason that is, was not given.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Highest ranking universities in the "Dominican Republic"!!!!!!!!!!
Get THAT???
The thread about "UTESA" from 2002 is STILL valid!
"Golo" is a Dominicano, he KNOWS of where he speaks!
You are no doubt being "Milked Like a COW,...a "Cash Cow"!
If she is THAT GREAT in bed it might be worth it for a VERY SHORT WHILE!!!!
See how she acts when the money drops off!!!!!!!!!!!
I will say it is impossible to carry on a meaningful relationship from "Afar"!!!!!!!
Just pay expenses when you are together, don't send money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You sound like a nice guy for wanting to help her.
THAT's what they look for!
When you treat a Dominicana too good, they know you are a sucker, and they will eat you alive!
They react better to being told what to do, not deciding for themselves.
That's how they were brought up, they understand it.
If you ask them, where do you want to eat, or where do you want to go, they always say, "Wherever YOU want to go"!
The DR was better off when Trujillo was "El Jefe"!
They need a "Patron" to run their lives, tell them what to do,and feed them!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

If it IS 1,500 Dominican PESOS, that could be to rent her "Cap & Gown" for graduation, but I doubt you mean "PESOS??????

Apr 7, 2014
I know a Dominicana who is about to finish college with a Chemistry Degree. She cannot finish because the university requires her to pay the huge sum of $1,500 before she graduates.

Needless to say she is from a very poor family, father is dead mother has many health issues, and she cannot pay. The bank will not give her a loan until she graduated with the paper. Catch 22!

Does anyone know of scholarships or student loans, available to students such as she? So far she has hit a brick wall, the university will not help and there is no government assistance.

A quality person who has struggled hard to learn and obtain a much needed science degree in this country and the government nor the univeristy will assist. Both parties should be ashamed!

I m sorry, mon Capitan, but it sounds like malarkey to me. Tuition isnt normally that high unless she goes to PUCMM. And if she went to PUCMM she would already have the monies to pay the tuition. There is a fee for people who are pursuing a graduate degree but still the money is due at the beginning of the semester not the end. As an undergrad, with a sick dad or mutant mom or whatever, it sounds harsh but she got this far in the school, she can get the rest of the way on her own. I mean, her sick mom didnt stop her from completing the previous 4 or 5 years of attendance did it?

Shoot, tell her the same 'truth' that she told you. You cannot give her the money because you have none to spare after getting your dog gold-plated. And now is the best time to do that since gold is at an all-time high.

Apr 7, 2014
I will admit I have not heard that one before.

I have. A female friend from San Francisco had 225,000 pesos saved up to buy her first car and asked me to give her 40,000 pesos to pay for her Masters tesis(what is that here? Ingeniera?) or something similar to that. I told her to take the money from what she had saved up for a Honda Fit. She got her degree, so someone paid the fee and it wasnt me.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Ministry of Youth

The Ministry of Youth that has scholarships. I know a girl who studied medicine at UNIBE whose family fell on hard times and she was able to get a half scholarship from the Ministry of Youth.

Don't recommend borrowing. Student loans here are very expensive. Getting a first job here is tough.

UNPHU offers half scholarships for excellent students.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Get her matricula Number, go to the University and find out the truth yourself.

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
Don't get it twisted CC. The lady and I are not bed buddies and never will be. She is one of many who I give a few dollars when I come for a visit, the operative word is a few. Even if she expects to milk me that will never happen.

However thanks for a clearer understanding of the education system here, maybe someone should pass on Golo's frank assessment to Wikipedia. It is sad that an international renowned site that many depend on can be so wrong. Not everybody will be astute enough to check or even know that dr1.com exists. Although if Googled his assessment is presented.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Don't get it twisted CC. The lady and I are not bed buddies and never will be. She is one of many who I give a few dollars when I come for a visit, the operative word is a few. Even if she expects to milk me that will never happen.

However thanks for a clearer understanding of the education system here, maybe someone should pass on Golo's frank assessment to Wikipedia. It is sad that an international renowned site that many depend on can be so wrong. Not everybody will be astute enough to check or even know that dr1.com exists. Although if Googled his assessment is presented.

All courses are paid before the end of the current semester, if it's the "Derechos de Graduaci?n" they shouldn't be that high, just to give you an example, with INTEC which is way more expensive than UTESA the Derecho de Graduaci?n is at 7,000DOP Instituto Tecnol?gico de Santo Domingo - INTEC - Tarifas

There would be no scholarship available JUST for this, and a bank loan would not require her to have a degree. I can tell you this, because I have had several loans and a degree has never been a part of this. A "credito estudiantil" would not require any of that either, they just need to know that she does not have the resources to attend university, but I doubt very much that they would give her a credit just for the "derecho de graduaci?n"...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you sure it isn't 1500 dop ??
what I understood some schools have some sort of a fee that they require you to pay before graduation.
My wife studied at APEC and there is she had to pay 10.000 DOP.... but a clear anwser to my queston for what reason that is, was not given.

maybe it is 1500 pesos, but why not say 1500 dollars and make some comision?

listen to CC; the sick mother thing is always a red flag.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have. A female friend from San Francisco had 225,000 pesos saved up to buy her first car and asked me to give her 40,000 pesos to pay for her Masters tesis(what is that here? Ingeniera?) or something similar to that. I told her to take the money from what she had saved up for a Honda Fit. She got her degree, so someone paid the fee and it wasnt me.

but did she get the Honda Fit?