Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Car Insurance

Anyone have DR Car/SUV insurance? Full coverage?

What is the cost? Is it paid monthly? quarterly? annually?

What are the best companies for this?

Do they actually pay a claim if filed or just take your money and leave you high and dry in an accident?

Thanks for the info.

SHALENA

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to know this too; laying my hands on a vehicle over the weekend.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't had an accident yet, and I have full coverage including casa de conductor for a 2007 Santa Fe. Last year it was 37,000 pesos through the BHD. The actual name of the insurance company escapes me at the moment.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Universal and really like them, don't remember the prices but we pay for a year at a time.
    They are supposed to be one of the best.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I am through BanReservas. Complete coverage including casa de conductor for a 2007 VW Golf is 18,500 pesos. Never had a claim yet but friends who use the same agent and company have had an accident and they said it was handled very well. I pay it all up front so I don't know if they offer a payment plan. I would really recommend the casa de conductor as that is the part that if you are arrested you are placed in a hotel rather than jail while you await trial.
    Best of luck with your car and insurance.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    Anyone have DR Car/SUV insurance? Full coverage?

What is the cost? Is it paid monthly? quarterly? annually?

Do they actually pay a claim if filed or just take your money and leave you high and dry in an accident?

Thanks for the info.

SHALENA
    I had an accident with a one year old SUV back in 2008 (aquaplaning), I damaged several cars and my own car with a total damage of several million pesos, just short of the maximum amount covered and of course it was my fault. Insurance paid everything including a rented car for some time except the "deductible" of about RD$20,000.00. I was fully insured with "Monumental de Seguros". Drivers license was up to date and no alcohol involved, yes, they did a blood test.
    Cost was roughly 5 % of the value of the car per year.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

we've had colonial for many years, for all our cars. the only time miesposo had a more serious accident, in his montero, the insurance paid the difference without fuss but they insisted on replacing some parts rather than fixing them so it took longer. we had to pay some money too, few thousand pesos. i understand that the insurance has a low bar limit: if the damage is for less than 8,000 pesos you need to pay yourself, if it is more you need to pay this first 8,000 yourself (i cannot remember the actual number but i think it was 8k in our case).

currently we pay 29,000 pesos a year for my 2008 grand vitara. full coverage. we pay in installments, i believe.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Banco Progreso...... for get the amount for 2 cars.

Pay annually - never had to make a claim

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you guys are astonishing me - we had quote from 3 companies for full coverage on a 2009 Venza, all of them were over 60,000 pesos. Guess we need to shop it around better.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Wow, you guys are astonishing me - we had quote from 3 companies for full coverage on a 2009 Venza, all of them were over 60,000 pesos. Guess we need to shop it around better.
    Well, it somehow depends of the value of your car, how much is your car worth?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast