Renewing BRITISH Passport in the Dominican Republic

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Has anyone renewed their BRITISH passport whilst living in the Dominican Republic using the British Consul? Who's the best person to see? Are their any important documents to take along? Can it be processed really fast? Contact telephone number?
Any advise of real experiences attempting this process would be really appreciated.
It's pretty important.

Many thanks

J&T

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Thanks for the link facelessdoll, I was aware of this page but it states clearly
"Your application will take at least 6 weeks from when your declaration form is received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK. You may have to attend an interview for a first adult passport.

Applications may take longer if:

HM Passport Office need to ask you for more information or documents
the photographs you send are rejected".

A friend needs the passport rapido, hence my request for "Any advise of real experiences attempting this process would be really appreciated"

Thanks anyway for your input.

J&T

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Unfortunately they no longer renew passports at the embassy here. You have to send it together with the forms, photos and proof of payment via courier to Washington DC. I renewed my son's passport this way a couple of years ago.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I did mine whilst in the UK, it can be done on the day and you come out with your new one.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
didnt i hear that they changed it from washington ? thats where i did mine , but i thought it changed recently and you now have to send them to the UK

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
J & T future,

You now have to send your documents to UK for Renewals. The Website has the forms on it for Renewal but make sure you retain the Bar Code Number otherwise you will not be able to track its progress. Also register as you will get a user ID and password to follow its progress.
A recent experience by one of the Team suggests that after it is received in the UK it will take about 8 to 9 WEEKS before you get it back by DHL courier.

The UK Embassy nor the Consul on the North Coast - Genni Mendez can help you as you need to send it to the UK and the suggestion of using FedEX or DHL is good advice. Aslo when you fill out the forms be sure of the address you want it delivered too! It is possible to choose a DHL office such as EPS in Pedro Clisante if you live on the North Caost.

This all changed in January this year and all UK passport Renewals now go to the UK - just follow the UK Passport Web site or Google UK passport Renewal,
There was an earlier thread about Visas at the British Embassy : http://dr1.com/forums/legal/141032-...will-no-longer-process-visa-applications.html

which you might want to look through.

The only other option if it is really ASAP is to get an Emergency Passport which is only valid for one day and one way to UK and they take it off you at UK Immigration. If you have some time left on the passport and are going to UK you might want to check whether you can still fly to UK .

If you need it for other purposes such as renewal of DR Residency you need 18 month left on your passport to renew it!

Olly and the Team

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I am in the process of renewing my and my daughters passports, everything has to go to the Passport Office in the UK. The biggest problem I have come up against sofar is a return address as i do not have one, Coreos Dominicano does not know where i live nor do any of the courier services, i am hoping that they will accept my lawyers office!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I am in the process of renewing my and my daughters passports, everything has to go to the Passport Office in the UK. The biggest problem I have come up against sofar is a return address as i do not have one, Coreos Dominicano does not know where i live nor do any of the courier services, i am hoping that they will accept my lawyers office!

Are you in Sosua, Cabarete area?