Why Bars & Restaurants Don't Make Money In Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The problem for bars and restaurants in Sosua is not the local government. The problem is there are way too many.

No small resort can support so many bars and restaurants.

Now we have new restaurant on PC, across from the new pizza restaurant. It is owned by the same man who has Morua Mai. Looks great, but why? I have never seen enough people in Morua Mai to think it is doing well, why invest in another.

Recently, at what looked like great expense, somebody remodeled one of the places in the small plaza across from Banco Popular into what looked like a very nice restaurant. Whenever I walked by, the cheff, who is probably the owner, and the waitress were sitting at a table. Nobody else. Today when I walked by, I noticed it was close. Likely he has given up.

Way too many bars. It used to be that the Hess house was a house and where the Rhumba is was a vacant lot. Now there are bars the size of airport hangars.

Seems like everyone who comes here with dreams of getting rich opens a bar or restaurant. Don't these do research.

Way too many bars and restaurants. The ones one are for the most just hanging on. I feel sorry for the older bars and restaurants, most of which once did pretty well. Now they are fighting for their life with more competition than is good for any of them, old or new.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
When that restaurant used to be open I remember it being quite popular and I think he has always owned it. My understanding is that he wants to rent it out.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When that restaurant used to be open I remember it being quite popular and I think he has always owned it. My understanding is that he wants to rent it out.

Yes, I think you are right. But does Sosua really need one more restaurant right now?

What was PJ's used to be very popular, too. Now their good nights are when they give 2 dinners for price of 1.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
True, I'm not disputing that there are too many bars/restaurants, it's good for the customers to have so much choice but, as you say, that's why it's so hard for them to make money. Also, very few have anything unique!

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
It's the dominican way. They would rather make no money at all then to receive a fare price. I hate when I offer a fair price for product (speaking spanish btw) and they look at my like I insulted them. Yes, I know you know Im a gringo, but that doesn't mean that you HAVE to take advantage of me. No one in the country believes in building loyalty and making long money over a short tigare profit.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Bring some nicer whores and MAYBE tourism will fly.

Oh oh, let me have it!!!!!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
OOOP s - That should be Down 4.1% for March 2014 versa March 2013 - Not 2913 OOPs

Olly

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sooooooo, now that we are becoming a "family oriented town" it appears our families do not go out to eat. Be careful what you ask for, eh!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Bronxboy - you may be right but the main problem is that the Number of tourist coming to the North Coast is DROPPING - Month on Month it is down 4.1% for March versa March 2913. See post #54 http://dr1.com/forums/dr-debates/141964-tourism-increase-8-2014-a-6.html

So no wonder Restaurants are finding it hard going!

Olly and the Team

I Think you're right. Tourism is dropping. One other thing I've noticed is that the type of tourist coming to the north coast amd especially Sosua is different as In louder, big city gangster attitudes, lots of what they consider "game" goin on, and I can't help but wonder if this is one reason why people are not coming anymore??

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I Think you're right. Tourism is dropping. One other thing I've noticed is that the type of tourist coming to the north coast amd especially Sosua is different as In louder, big city gangster attitudes, lots of what they consider "game" goin on, and I can't help but wonder if this is one reason why people are not coming anymore??

just come right out and say it, jstarebel. we get the gist...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

I don't understand, Gorgon. Whoever is he talking about (queue close-up of big doe-eyes about to start crying up a storm).

Let me guess, "rebel," you're not racist - but you are, right?

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
When somebody will open an action park on NC? I want to ride on montania rusa :) So fed up with ****ty food in all that restaurants! If its not restaurant then its a salon, like there is nothing else we can be interested in while living here...

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013

I don't understand, Gorgon. Whoever is he talking about (queue close-up of big doe-eyes about to start crying up a storm).

Let me guess, "rebel," you're not racist - but you are, right?

Well - we're certainly not racist. But just having finished a delicious meal (first time at this place) that was unfortunately in the midst of what would appear to be gangster-land, listening to the LOUD, gangster-attitude crap from guys with "game" goin on, we won't be back, at least to this locale. It's not just the tourists that have "stopped coming here."

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
If its not restaurant then its a salon, like there is nothing else we can be interested in while living here...

When in Washington Heights, I noticed that barber shops are all rage. Three on a block. Five barbers in one place but everyone is waiting for just one guy.

This has to be a Dominican thing. Twelve of the same businesses all within eyesight, and nothing to differentiate them. Not the prices, not the quality, nothing.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Well - we're certainly not racist. But just having finished a delicious meal (first time at this place) that was unfortunately in the midst of what would appear to be gangster-land, listening to the LOUD, gangster-attitude crap from guys with "game" goin on, we won't be back, at least to this locale. It's not just the tourists that have "stopped coming here."

You are correct. Sosua was much more to everyone's liking when the German and Italian whoremongers ruled the roost. Smely, stinky, drunken slimeballs chasing underage chicas are so much more palatable.

I distinctly recall one lardass German in a tiger-striped Speedo with a wedgy that looked as if it was tucked in with a dust pan walking by PJ's with his chica, who was just as disgusting as he was. I almost barfed.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
You are correct. Sosua was much more to everyone's liking when the German and Italian whoremongers ruled the roost. Smely, stinky, drunken slimeballs chasing underage chicas are so much more palatable.

I distinctly recall one lardass German in a tiger-striped Speedo with a wedgy that looked as if it was tucked in with a dust pan walking by PJ's with his chica, who was just as disgusting as he was. I almost barfed.

Hey - I think you must have been sitting at our table tonight. Same discussion : do you prefer the old mongers on PC or the 'hood on Calle Dr. Rosen? Neither at all palatable. But the point is : it's not just the tourists who are staying away. So many locals are also not out and about, spending, putting back into the local economy.

May 29, 2006
It's not that there are too many restaurants in Sosua. It's that it's a tourist town with a three or four month season and the rents and expectations are for year round income. Plenty of towns have seasonal economies. When I was in Vermont at a high volume restaurant, we did 75% of our annual business between Mother's Day and Labor Day. Most retail businesses make more than half of their revenue between Black Friday and Christmas.

A handful of businesses make money year round. They cater to the ex-pats who are there on a daily basis, they have realistic leases and don't let some 19 year old act as their bar manager. It's not a town for turnkey business or semi-retired couples who think owning a beach bar will be "fun."

Status
Not open for further replies.