Shipping a container

Angelo Zamparutti

Apr 19, 2014
Upon recieving residency, is it true you are allowed to bring a 40' shipping container with car, moto, house contents from Canada to the D.R. tax free (exempt)?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you're right, Pescado Hombre

yes, a container and reduced car duty....

and that is for EACH applicant - husband and wife each get one

If I had it to do again, I would stagger the incoming dates...
do mine the first year and my wife's sometime later.

you are much smarter after a year and wish you had this -- or that---- or 2 of these........

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Even if promised that there will be 'no problems': good luck.

Put a large canvas cover near the doors. All container will always be completly unloaded by custums.
The stuff may be outside the whole day until a loading team is available to charge back.
Chances for a sudden rain shower are high.

Have seen more than one container with everything outside getting wet.
Things dropped out of wet cartoons. Fridges standing in the rain.
Nobody cares.

Alexander

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That was not the case with me... furniture and car went in and the container is sealed - in my presence.

That seal was not broken until I showed up at Caucedo....

Once open, they pulled some items out then 'spot checked' my packing list... where's this, --- that ?

All very civil and polite.

I was warned away from POP puerto and Haina.... Caucedo was new in Jan 2009 when I entered.

I think much has to do with your shipping company....at both ends.

RD end was Hispaniola Freight in SD...... your Cdn end will Peralta Bros most likely... search function them for reviews

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
any type ??
you mean can you import on a temp res?

Yes, you can. do it in the first 6 months -- it is a small window of 6 months

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Actually, thinking about it...........

The 6 month window means you can ONLY import on a temporary residency.

Another RD oddity

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
At Haina, the policy was to remove EVERYTHING.
That might be avoided with a few thousand pesos to the right guy.
For $200 US, they would send a customs guy, ot two, to your final destination, if in SD, and open it there!
If you do "Haina", take along several good friends to watch you stuff while it's out of the container.
"MONEY Is Your Friend"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Sadly by the time I get around to getting residency (once I know longer have American Airlines on speed dial, and walk around with my passport in hand), I will have replaced all of the things I have in storage back home. My plan is to stagger me and my wife's residency, and go Craigslist shopping in Miami to fill a container!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
staggering is the way to go..... the car needs to be owned for a year prior to importation- thats the only rule (> 5yrs too)

Mnay things cannot be bought on the island paradise.
read the posts, several of us ship regularly.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Welcome to the DR

2001 PJT had a 40' container shipped from port of New York to Haina. The contents included household goods and camioneta. PJT made sure the container was sealed with a industrial cable seal.

PJT and wife were notified of the container arrival at the port and went to observe the unloading and examination of its contents. We brought along three extra sets of eyes.

PJT examined the seal and it was intact. The seal was broken and all the contents were removed to an inside warehouse and laid out on the floor for inspection. All boxes and wrapped items were partially opened for inspection and matched against the packing list.

The pickup/camioneta was moved to an outside storage lot. PJT took a lot of pictures of the vehicle as delivered to the location to being the process to register it for the DR. Some of the workers protested, saying pictures cannot be taken. PJT politely said in so many words, shove it, it is his vehicle and he can take as many pictures of it as he wants. Note: He placed a copy of the headline page of the Listin in the windshield to evidence the date and condition of the vehicle.

PJT's wife is Dominican born and there was a tax break. However, some taxes still had to be paid.

The only casualty of the move was after inspection and the repacking the container of the household goods for home delivery, one small carton of liquor was missing. It was written off as a tip to the warehousemen for not taking more.

Welcome to the DR.

Regards,

PJT

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WBW suspects that PJT no longer ships liquor. !!:glasses:

However, WBW's friend shipped cases of wine in a barrel - individually bubble wrapped - with no consequences.
Over 100 bottles, with Awilda.

Arrived intact, as a door to door shipment - don't know the cost.

Good story PJT, reports like this help people.