DR on DW news today

cairotaxi

Dec 17, 2012
I have given up on US "news" stations so I watch news from France 24, DW and the BBC. Today, Peter Sonnenberg did an excellent piece on Haitians in DR from Haitians who feel stateless(and I'm sure lots of other things), to 'right wing' Dominicans to a government official Roberto Rodriguez explaining the state's view and policies,etc. I'm sure if you live in DR this is not new news. But I find it interesting and another window to DR and perhaps any other country facing people coming to their shores searching for a better life.

cairotaxi

Dec 17, 2012
I didn't think so. Haitian showed living quarters allegedly stormed by police. Then Haitians born in the DR supposedly with their papers taken away from them, others working on a plantation. Next was the government official, then a priest talking about perceptions(blacks, slaves vs European/Spanish.) I think the last piece focused on rise of groups who see Haitians less than. They stormed in Haitian areas, markets, pointing, quite angrily and accusatory. I think it was pretty balanced from various viewpoints.