Does anyone besides me think DR1 posters cross the line into mysogyny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I am referring to use of certain terms like cuera and the ubiquitous chica which I find are used as pejoratives. So much of the conversation regarding dominican women wouldn't be tolerated among polite company outside this forum. The assumption that Women are shallow and exist for the plessure of men. In this case mostly foreigners. I engage in self censorship regarding forum guidelines. should there be a discussion of how mostly men here refer to women? Would such language be acceptable if the object of discussion was your daughter?

If this thread is inappropriate a mod is welcome to close it right away.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am referring to use of certain terms like cuera and the ubiquitous chica which I find are used as pejoratives. So much of the conversation regarding dominican women wouldn't be tolerated among polite company outside this forum. The assumption that Women are shallow and exist for the plessure of men. In this case mostly foreigners. I engage in self censorship regarding forum guidelines. should there be a discussion of how mostly men here refer to women? Would such language be acceptable if the object of discussion was your daughter?

the fact that most of the posters here refer to Dominican people in a manner in which they would not reference their own people tells the whole story.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Keep in mind that a certain number of DR1 posters are whore mongers. They typically have a different view of women than non mongers. If we talked about their Mothers, daughters and the rest of their female family members with less than respect they wouldn't like it either. I accept the way they speak about women. I wouldn't accept it from a non monger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 7, 2014

You may be right, but in the defense of SOME:

a. Polite company outside of this forum wouldnt know how the women behave to know it if it is true or not. They can be offended but being offended while discussing the truth isnt as heinous, to me, as being offended while lying out the side of your face.

b. Excepting any foreign man exploiting the women here doesnt mean that the local men dont do it and that they dont it any worse(and definitely NOT any better). Everyone here knows of a woman who gave a dude babies by the dozen only to be dumped and then this guy may not even contribute to their upbringing. Or the frequent reports of guys waling on their women every weekend. Or the guy who spent his whole check in one weekend getting drunk. Or for that matter the women he gave money to who wasted the money getting her hair done, her nails done and some shoes to wear to a place she doesnt have money to ENTER, while never buying any food for her home and children. Or the guy who kills his old love-interest because she dumped him for a "more prosperous" person. I have never heard of a foreign dude say "I put my foot in her arse because she didnt [do this or that]." We, usually, just decide to dump the babe for wasting our time(and money).

c. If the perception is that the women are shallow, my question to you is how much of their own behavior has lead many of the posters to believe this? Also with the existence solely for the pleasure of men, I dont think many of these women(and I am comfortable saying many, defining this as a bit more than the mere majority(IOW, way greater than 51% of the general female populace) have anything to offer besides sexual gratitudes.

d. If a "chica" is a "cuera" then there isnt much you can do to change that. She made that decision. It is the same as if I came outside in a seer-sucker suit and big yellow clown shoes. This was a decision I made to wear this attire.

e. I feel you are going on in some "exploitative patriarchy" campaign. I disagree, wholeheartedly. Almost everyones biases are based on actual interaction with the women here so in all honesty and due respect many of their perceptions are accurate.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
This topic does make me wonder what people from say Pakistan or India who are abundant in the US and operate businesses there say about Americans when discussing issues on their online forums..

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Yes, without a doubt. There are some men on this site, who will remain nameless, lump all Domincan women into one category, in an effort to make themselves look macho and a man's man. This is sad really, because we don't care about your ego or the size of your manhood. You would think after years of living here that their attitude has changed but it seems that on this forum they need to continual look at all Domincan women as whores. Shame on these guys for your narrow mindedness and your small package. You are obviously over compensating for something that you are lacking. Unfortunately the size of your brain capacity wil also be narrow minded

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yes, without a doubt. There are some men on this site, who will remain nameless, lump all Domincan women into one category, in an effort to make themselves look macho and a man's man. This is sad really, because we don't care about your ego or the size of your manhood. You would think after years of living here that their attitude has changed but it seems that on this forum they need to continual look at all Domincan women as whores. Shame on these guys for your narrow mindedness and your small package. You are obviously over compensating for something that you are lacking. Unfortunately the size of your brain capacity wil also be narrow minded
In the mind of mongers, all women-not just Dominicans-are nothing but pleasure receptacles.

When one's only tool is a hammer, every job looks like a nail.

measy

May 15, 2014
I am dominican and I agree with OP. Thats why i laugh everytime a person gets stiffed by one of these said "cuero's". I'm all for gentlemans clubs and sex tourism but if this is the only basis for you getting laid or having a social life then you are a loser. and i rather be a cuero than a loser any day.... except Cuba dave. he's a national treasure.

I read thru most of your threads and it seems like the cuero's are winning. All i see is ex-pat's wailing when a cuero runs off wit their money.

With all that said. Most of you are complete idiots for marrying these "cuero's".....who in their right mind would marry a prostitute???

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You may be right, but in the defense of SOME:

a. Polite company outside of this forum wouldnt know how the women behave to know it if it is true or not. They can be offended but being offended while discussing the truth isnt as heinous, to me, as being offended while lying out the side of your face.

b. Excepting any foreign man exploiting the women here doesnt mean that the local men dont do it and that they dont it any worse(and definitely NOT any better). Everyone here knows of a woman who gave a dude babies by the dozen only to be dumped and then this guy may not even contribute to their upbringing. Or the frequent reports of guys waling on their women every weekend. Or the guy who spent his whole check in one weekend getting drunk. Or for that matter the women he gave money to who wasted the money getting her hair done, her nails done and some shoes to wear to a place she doesnt have money to ENTER, while never buying any food for her home and children. Or the guy who kills his old love-interest because she dumped him for a "more prosperous" person. I have never heard of a foreign dude say "I put my foot in her arse because she didnt [do this or that]." We, usually, just decide to dump the babe for wasting our time(and money).

c. If the perception is that the women are shallow, my question to you is how much of their own behavior has lead many of the posters to believe this? Also with the existence solely for the pleasure of men, I dont think many of these women(and I am comfortable saying many, defining this as a bit more than the mere majority(IOW, way greater than 51% of the general female populace) have anything to offer besides sexual gratitudes.

d. If a "chica" is a "cuera" then there isnt much you can do to change that. She made that decision. It is the same as if I came outside in a seer-sucker suit and big yellow clown shoes. This was a decision I made to wear this attire.

e. I feel you are going on in some "exploitative patriarchy" campaign. I disagree, wholeheartedly. Almost everyones biases are based on actual interaction with the women here so in all honesty and due respect many of their perceptions are accurate.

i agree with you 100% insofar as the query about what some of these women have to offer after a toss in the sack. it is distressing to see their conditions. no preparation, no ambition, no hope, no future. almost all of us who have been around this country long enough can point to some girl whom we met on our first trips. they are still around today, doing the same thing they were doing 10 years ago, only for a lower price, and with lesser frequency. they have not advanced one iota since we first met them.

back in the 1980s, i went to some strip clubs in Ontario, and saw some serious cars in the parking lot. i was made to understand that some were owned by the strippers. they looked at stripping as a real job, with an aim in view..getting ahead. they saved their money, and i was told that at least one had bought the club she danced in. girls here live for the immediate moment. i know this particular one who got a job in a phone store. the first week, she took out a Galaxy s5, on payments. she is making 5 grand every 2 weeks, but credits a 35 thousand peso phone. needless to say, she has since had to return it..

what can people who think like that add to your life?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

loco, your thread is okay, as long as the responses are on topic and don't descend back into what you're referring to.

I particularly like the sentence I highlighted.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
So i know that chica is a feminine adjective for small. In the context used here i interpreted it as the expression "shorty" which is another contribution from the african american community, which drives popular culture in the US. It took me awhile to realize that chica isn't used like shorty. My shorty or my boo are terms of endearment.

I was completey naive about the runnings in DR before my first trip. None of my dominican aquaintances clued me in. But when i came back each had a smirk. The tour guides i read mentioned red zones in boca chica and sosua

I think it would be fair to say that Dr is a patriarchal society. I don't think that is necessarily exploitative as a system of social structure.

I am not a hall monitor/school marm type. I am libertine in m y outlook regarding personal behavior. It just surprises me that some men want to be with women they don't respect.

Regarding the label whore-monger...in the DR it is apparently legal to engage in prostitution and only pimping is illegal. Many encounters are transactional in some form or another.

Who wants a poor unattractive partner. This i understand. Both men and women trade on their physical attributes. I think that an individual woman has the agency to make choices for herself, even when her perspective of available choices are clouded by poverty and a moribound economy.

I dont accept the binary notion that sankies exploit women and gringos exploit chicas. There is much more nuance.

Many of the men here give good advice to avoid being ripped off and stolen from. But sometimes the focus is on the behavior of the dominicana and not the gringo.

I look forward to hearing from some of our sisters in the group.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I am dominican and I agree with OP. Thats why i laugh everytime a person gets stiffed by one of these said "cuero's". I'm all for gentlemans clubs and sex tourism but if this is the only basis for you getting laid or having a social life then you are a loser. and i rather be a cuero than a loser any day.... except Cuba dave. he's a national treasure.

I read thru most of your threads and it seems like the cuero's are winning. All i see is ex-pat's wailing when a cuero runs off wit their money.

With all that said. Most of you are complete idiots for marrying these "cuero's".....who in their right mind would marry a prostitute???

How can they marry a prostitute? Because their lives revolve around cueros and so come to
view ALL Dominican women as such. Just read what these whore mongers so proudly say
about their cuero conquests.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Chica is the word used by some Dominicans for every human female. Milady refers to her mother who is about 75 as a chica.
Der Fish

i refer to my housekeeper as chica. in the manner in which i use it, she finds it endearing, as she knows there is no intent to demean

Aug 6, 2006
Chica is not a demeaning term, it is simply the feminine form of chico.

There are certainly some on this Forum who do demean women.

I doubt that it does any damage to anyone, though: it simply shows that some men are pretty shallow and perhaps none too bright.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am a woman and i do not share your concern. those posters, who use term cuero/puta talk about women who fit this description, either professionals or some nasty skans who stole from them, cheated on them and so on. i am not a fan of a notion that i should respect everyone equally, i respect only those who deserve respect. being able to breath is not enough to command my esteem.

is this true that some posters only engage themselves with the low end of the dominican society? yes. so what of it? they associate with who they want, good for them. as a woman i am not offended by posts from mongers. they amuse me.

but of course i am critical of dominicans on the whole so maybe my opinion does not stand.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am not against whore mongers or whores for that matter. I find it amusing that they do not like the word whore attached to the word monger. They call the women cueros. I don't. That's their problem not mine. The truth is hard to hear sometimes. Most of the mongers are adults who have worked hard for their money. They are entitled to spend it however they choose to. As monfongoloco said prostitution is legal in the DR.
What I am against is their attitudes and comments about all women.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Keep in mind that for some of them, cueros are the only women who wouldn?t mind being seen hand in hand with them. This is the only type of woman they can have access to.

Actually, there are members who have had to leave their country to have their first girlfriend, because no one wants to date them. Go figure the "caliber" of men we?re talking about.

Any man who is at least fairly attractive, and has something going on for them, will find women who will genuinely want to be with him, ANYWHERE, but these men can ONLY get laid if they pay.

Notice how there is something wrong with the women in their countries, there is something wrong with Dominican women. It?s always the woman who?s at fault, but most of them don?t think there?s anything wrong with themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.