Is DR1 Now All "Off -Topic"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am not sure where to post this, but the "off topic" forum is not the place. All posters, new and old, should have the opportunity to have their say, and the focus of this thread is not the "Off Topic" forum but all the rest.

As far as I am concerned, DR1 has lost its way. It is hard to find a thread now days that stays anywhere near the topic for more than a few posts. If I were a discovering DR1 for the first time, reading just a few threads would convince me there was nothing here for me.

It doesn't take long before every thread becomes a pushing match between the same few people, or a discussion about the failings of the Dominicans, or prostitutes, or sexual prowess and conquests past or imagined.

For example, take a look at the thread on why Sosua restaurants and bars are not doing well. It didn't take long for the thread to get moved to the same tired themes that have spoiled other threads. Where is the mod? Are their no instructions about keeping the thread on topic, or at least close to that?

The same could be asked of many other threads not in the Off Topic forum.

Those who want DR1 to be their personal playground have the off-topic forum

Can't those of us, and I am sure their are many, who come to DR1 to give and receive information about matters related to the Dominican Republic other than prostitutes and mongers, etc, have a space where topics stay generally on track? If we want the other, we can go to the Off Topic forum.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree with you. there are threads that stay on topic but few go so off the subject it's like falling down the rabbit hole. and then mods, instead of cleaning up just close threads. i was genuinely interested in the subject of the restaurants in sosua, especially seeing that you started this specific subject and brought up some good, constructive criticism.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've been doing DR1 about as long as anybody, starting in the late 1990's. And I can tell you that it hasn't always been this way.

"General" was the equivalent of today's "Off Topic" and the description for that thread was anything goes. And did. And there was the "men from mars, women from venus" forum that sometimes got a little dicey. Recent joiners can't really appreciate how that forum used to be because we are getting no where near the number of posts from stary-eyed newbies trying to get confirmation about what they were sure was the love of their life, aka sankey.

However the rest of the threads pretty much stayed on track and a lot of good information could be easily obtained. No need to wade through a lot of crap to find what you were looking for.

The only ones turned off in those days were the girls posting in "men from mars and women from venus" who got mad because they didn't find the support they were looking for

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I have to admit that it does seem to have become a 'US politics/mine's bigger/you're a liberal/I love guns/Obamacare/black-white' diatribe which has crept into just about every topic these days, no matter how far off the topic it is.

It's a shame because there is useful and interesting information out there but it tends to get lost in the background noise of folks with too much time and not enough in their lives to keep them sober or interesting..............

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I am not sure where to post this, but the "off topic" forum is not the place. All posters, new and old, should have the opportunity to have their say, and the focus of this thread is not the "Off Topic" forum but all the rest.

As far as I am concerned, DR1 has lost its way. It is hard to find a thread now days that stays anywhere near the topic for more than a few posts. If I were a discovering DR1 for the first time, reading just a few threads would convince me there was nothing here for me.

It doesn't take long before every thread becomes a pushing match between the same few people, or a discussion about the failings of the Dominicans, or prostitutes, or sexual prowess and conquests past or imagined.

For example, take a look at the thread on why Sosua restaurants and bars are not doing well. It didn't take long for the thread to get moved to the same tired themes that have spoiled other threads. Where is the mod? Are their no instructions about keeping the thread on topic, or at least close to that?

The same could be asked of many other threads not in the Off Topic forum.

Those who want DR1 to be their personal playground have the off-topic forum

Can't those of us, and I am sure their are many, who come to DR1 to give and receive information about matters related to the Dominican Republic other than prostitutes and mongers, etc, have a space where topics stay generally on track? If we want the other, we can go to the Off Topic forum.

Get used to it!
dr1 is an internet forum, with a diverse cross-section of members.
In a boardroom discussing specific business matters one has to stay on topic.
In a normal conversation one starts out on economic matters, after a while the conversation has turned to a soap opera people are watching. That's just how humans are.
I'm not bothered by divergent discussions. I am still able to get good DR info, the rest is entertainment which I can cut at any moment.
You're re-pasting of "Sosua News" does not add anything in my opinion.
By post #5 we are at "The Real Housewives of New York", thats how discussions work
No worries Harley I can take it...... hope Ken is not too distressed.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
If it is, it sure can be a big turn off for people who are thinking of moving here. I know before we came, my wife and I asked a few questions and were just slaughtered by negative comments. Now that we are here, I realize that what people were saying was mostly true, but you have to dig through all the condescending 'know-it-all' comments to find the little golden nugget of truth. And those truths only really come to light after you've been here a couple months. After my first few posts before we moved, I didn't say another word until we were here and settled.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Get used to it!
dr1 is an internet forum, with a diverse cross-section of members.
In a boardroom discussing specific business matters one has to stay on topic.
In a normal conversation one starts out on economic matters, after a while the conversation has turned to a soap opera people are watching. That's just how humans are.
I'm not bothered by divergent discussions. I am still able to get good DR info, the rest is entertainment which I can cut at any moment.
You're re-pasting of "Sosua News" does not add anything in my opinion.
By post #5 we are at "The Real Housewives of New York", thats how discussions work
No worries Harley I can take it...... hope Ken is not too distressed.

I agree that it is an internet forum, with a diverse cross-section of members.

But it is not Face Book or one of the other social media sites.

This is a forum specific to the Dominican Republic, or at least it used to be. If Robert and Dolores tell me their website is now a free for all on any subject anyone decides to talk about, then I will have to accept that.

But until then I am going to believe DR1 is supposed to be more like a board room than a street-corner discussion, except for the "Off Topic" forum, and that it is losing its way.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Agree.. not only that..the MODS /one in particular is always going off topic...
HSO...here you'll see

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You are right. But it's hard to blame all the problems on ccccc but Ken is correct in that the Mods may be the worst offenders. Good information turns into blah blah blah. But Ken knows that there are some that like Pedro Clisante and some who don't go near it, the same is true on the internet.

Agree.. not only that..the MODS /one in particular is always going off topic...
HSO...here you'll see

I don't see any problems with CC, he is a jokester who tells the truth

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but I don't see him monitor much . It's not like he is going around telling people to not do .... Then do it himself.
I am biased though bc I really like the guy and have one of his pups.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ken has a good point, but threads like this don't help matters either.

Today is a good example of a bunch of threads that have gone haywire. Some of you may scream "Where are the mods???". Well, we have real lives, and don't sit at the computer 24/7 waiting to pounce on offenders.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Forums ebb and flow, it's always been like that, DR1 is no different.
We have discussed this topic many times since 1997.

The forum is only as good as it's members, this I have said many times.
People tend to focus on the bad, rather the overwhelming good, nothing unusual in that.

At one time, DR1 was pretty much the only source of decent information on the DR.
Now we have hundreds of options, trends change, people come and go, countries change etc.

Instead of complaining, do something about it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.