NC: People trying to get you to pull over!

I know many know about this scam but new members may not so beware!

F.Y.I. The scam continues on the roads in the DR. Yesterday we were going to Puerta Plata. We were near Fun City when we heard a bang on the back of the car--sounded like a big stone hit the back of us as a car was passing. Luckily, we had already heard about the scam that has been going on in the area--so as the car passed us and the owner of that car tried to get us to pull over--we just waved and kept going. The scammer pulled into Fun City and right back out again. The Scam---people are trying to get you to pull over to say they saw a problem with the car. Then they will try to get money from you, while pretending the whole time that they are trying to help you. This has happened already to some of our friends--its bull****--be wise out there my friends.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i follow do-not-stop-ever policy. few times i was driving and i heard that something hit the car from the back or side. i just look in the mirrors to make sure no victims and keep on driving.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Yes..I suggest getting tinted windows, it gives ladrones something to think about ;-)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes..I suggest getting tinted windows, it gives ladrones something to think about ;-)

i tried to drive SIL's car but i needed to lower the windows to see anything after dusk and i drove it on stop lights because i could see from the front window either. useless. i prefer to put my usual vicious face of a french bulldog licking sour pi** off the dried up thistle. works well.

i tried to drive SIL's car but i needed to lower the windows to see anything after dusk and i drove it on stop lights because i could see from the front window either. useless. i prefer to put my usual vicious face of a french bulldog licking sour pi** off the dried up thistle. works well.

If I could do your mean sourpuss face we wouldn't need the tinted windows but the wife and I can't do it and we try!
You need to WHIP us into shape!!
I have to roll down my window at night too but LOVE no one knowing we are gringos!!
We had to rent a car while in SD bc our car was dead and it didn't have tinted windows and we felt naked! Not that it is a bad thing to be naked but I feel much safer in stealth mode!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You need to WHIP us into shape!!

ztgknq.gif

:)

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Yep happened to me and my wife. Between Pop and the RIU resorts. I pulled over but soon realized what was going on and pulled away as the guy getting out of his car.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I know many know about this scam but new members may not so beware!

F.Y.I. The scam continues on the roads in the DR. Yesterday we were going to Puerta Plata. We were near Fun City when we heard a bang on the back of the car--sounded like a big stone hit the back of us as a car was passing. Luckily, we had already heard about the scam that has been going on in the area--so as the car passed us and the owner of that car tried to get us to pull over--we just waved and kept going. The scammer pulled into Fun City and right back out again. The Scam---people are trying to get you to pull over to say they saw a problem with the car. Then they will try to get money from you, while pretending the whole time that they are trying to help you. This has happened already to some of our friends--its bull****--be wise out there my friends.

I'll be checking out Fun City this week, I would LOVE to see those guys pull that stunt with me :devious::devious::devious::devious:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I thought I was getting old when I bought the Peugeot 307 we have that had tinted windows. I had it removed after one week cause I couldn't see any car coming on the intersections after it would become dark.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not you, maurico, it's the tint. :)

i am myopic too i seriously cannot see through this dark crap. i do not care much about being seen and maybe targeted. my doors are always locked, i do not stop for no reason and i have no heart so i do not feel the guilt about limpiavidrios cleaning my windows after i said "no" and beggar kids tapping my windows at the intersection. my biggest concern is safety so i need to see well. and i think that having to roll your windows down at night to do a simple manoeuvre means putting yourself at risk.

sometimes i see cars with extra dark windows and large round cuts cut roughly in the tint, so that the driver can see the side mirrors. i look and i automatically think "what an idiot". there is no polite way of putting it.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
DV8 funny. I thought that phrase might have have come from Polish so I investigated. Appears to have British roots. They do have some very descriptive phrases see: A dictionary of slang -"F" - Slang and colloquialisms of Britain.

HR thanks for the warning.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Blacked Windows. Even got a warning ticket once in Bonao. With electric Windows it is no problem to run them down for night vision. I even stopped looking back for injured victims so as not to feel bad as I drove away. You just cannot stop, its DR driving. Near Villa teen age Gangs toss metal spikes in the road at night so as to flatten your tie then Rob you when you stop. It is just driving in the DR. Remember that beauty Queen and her husband murdered in Venezuela when they stopped at night on highway? You can drive pretty far on a rim if you go slow. Dont stop, don't drive at night.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Back to the OP. More than a year ago, someone tried this scam on us just before Star Hills as we headed toward POP. I pulled into Star Hills at the guard gate and looked back at them as they passed by. I waited a minute and headed back on my way.

Do be aware of this on that section of highway since they are obviously at it again.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have driven that section of road always keeping a look out for these scam artists but have been lucky and never have we met. Maybe they target the more high end cars. I drive junk.
I don't like tinted windows myself, but I just got my vitara tinted. The drivers and passenger window a light tint and the others to the rear a little darker. The windshield I left clear. I can still see clearly enough for night driving. It also is a good privacy screen as well as keeping the interior of the car cooler.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
@ Cura
I thought I was the only one lol.

If they are unfortunate enough to find me, they are gonna bust out some dance moves ;)

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
That happened to a couple of friends of mine , they pulled over and watched the idiot climb under the car and when he got up he had a part in his hand and said he would gladly fix it ? they said no, that they had their own mechanic but they wanted their part back as well , he left ****ed off minus one tie rod end ,I saw the part it was like brand new .