Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I HATE the Dominican Republic

Today at the Banco del Retroceso. I need to cash a check for one of the residents of our residencial. She pays the maintenance fee by check, signed in advance since she lives abroad. I passed on the administration of the residencial to another neighbor but the checks were already made out on my name, so I cash them for the neighbor who has the administration right now.

I use my 'valuable' time to make a line in the Banco del Retroceso, when it's my turn the clueless cashier girl takes a long while, talks to a clueless manager (also a lady) who makes two phone calls and then the cashier comes back at me: me informan que la firma esta alterada. I won't show a picture of the check here, but what it has is that the letter Y in the name had a slightly thicker line on one of the 'arms'. I know you shouldn't fight with ignorant Dominicans, but I did (not achieving anything ofcourse).

Anyway.....WHEN will I finally be back in an environment where people think for themselves and not follow some programmed rules like if they are trained ........ never mind.

2. Dislikes facelessdoll disliked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, if we all start telling the stories of dealing with banks here.....

We keep a dollar account at BHD. Because it sometimes takes so long to clear a US check, I deposit way before I need it. So Mr. AE goes into the branch [okay, he was dressed very casually, I think even leather flip flops], hands the bankbook to the teller along with a $5,000 check to deposit, and says he wants to withdraw $1000. Without opening/looking at the bankbook, the teller looked back at him and asked [rather loudly] "Do you HAVE $1000 to withdraw??"

I was off to the side, but when I saw the look on my husband's face I wanted to slip out the front door. It wasn't a pretty scene, and ended with a subdued and apologetic teller.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Dominicans have a MORBID FEAR of cashing ANY personal checks!
    They look for ANY excuse to reject them!
    The "Altered" excuse is their ALL TIME FAVORITE!
    I have been cashing my personal checks at the SAME "Casa de Cambio" for OVER 28 YEARS!!!!!!!!!
    I once wrote a 12, instead of a 13 for the new year.
    I made the 2, into a 3, "Altered", "No Bueno"!!!!
    The US bank will not accept it!
    Since I only brought one check, I made a "STINK"!
    I finally told them, "If the check is returned, I will pay you double what it is made out for, that would have been 6,000 US!
    They cashed it, and Guess What????
    It was cashed by my US bank!
    Part of the problem there is, most of the people working as cashiers there were not even BORN when I started cashing checks there!
    The "Old Guys" that I have know for those 28 years,all work in the back of the house now.
    Sometimes NEW cashiers ask to see my "Pasaporte".
    I tell them to "Check Your Files" there's a copy there!
    If the owner isn't there to tell them to cash my checks, they "Busca Problemas", that means,..."Customer Service" in Spanish!!!!!
    Maybe we can find a nice Duplex in Amsterdam at a good price???????????
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    Last edited by Criss Colon; 05-19-2014 at 10:57 AM.

5. Dislikes GioMed disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

These posts explain why I continue to bank in the US. Direct deposits , transfers even if need be, but I'm not dealing with this stuff. Feel sorry for guys that have to bank here because of local business transactions. FYI, its the same all over the Caribbean.

7. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to argue about here. Banking in DR is by far the most aggravating experience any human can expect. Banking folks are as stupid as a lose squirrel in the middle of the street.

I hate banking here with the most deepest passion, they are clueless idiots on these regards.

9. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Dislikes davetuna disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is any consolation, banking in Ghana, West Africa was worse.

Lindsey

11. Likes gibbs liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i have been waiting 8 years for my bank to fix my name in their paperwork. it's not even misspelled, it's simply cut in two because those idiots here cannot accept the fact someone can only have one last name. so they always split it in half. despite the fact they see in front of them a cedula that spells it as one word (i need to correct the morons in oficina de cedulacion every single time, you'd think they'd get it right too).

other than that i cannot really complain about banking here apart from the fact that everything always takes so damn long.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i have been waiting 8 years for my bank to fix my name in their paperwork. it's not even misspelled, it's simply cut in two because those idiots here cannot accept the fact someone can only have one last name. so they always split it in half. despite the fact they see in front of them a cedula that spells it as one word (i need to correct the morons in oficina de cedulacion every single time, you'd think they'd get it right too).

other than that i cannot really complain about banking here apart from the fact that everything always takes so damn long.
    Speaking of names.... When they opened our bank accounts, they refused to use my married name on the account [my passport has both maiden and married, not hypenated, maiden is middle name]. So Mr. AE has his two surnames, and I have my maiden name. Inevitably I forget and sign my married name, which causes a fluster every time :-)

Administrator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I just do not understand why so many people have so many difficulties with Dominican Banks. I bank with Banco Popular whenever I go i am treated with the utmost courtesy, nearly all staff greet me and ask after my health. I go to the bank teller, produce my bank book and cedula and ask for mil or dos mil dollars the teller plays with his computer and passes me a paper to sign and fill in my cedular number. I have great difficulty writing since a stroke a few years ago but I sign my abbreviated signature he or she fills in my cedula number for me and counts out my dollars for me and bids me good day. I've only had one silly problem recently. I took out a 2 year CD but when I checked it over the weekend found they had issued it as a 2 month CD. I went back into the bank and saw the girl who had dealt with it for me, she apologised and suggested that the best course of action would be for me to go back in just after the due date and do a new one, commenting that the interest rate could have gone up by then, it couldn't go much lower ! I saw no problem and so agreed. Dominicans are great and marvellous at reponding to politeness.

15. Likes DR1Admin, judypdr, GioMed, Lucille liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to add that transferring money from my UK account just couldn't be easier or simpler. it takes a maximum of 10 minutes on the computer. I contact my transfer agent HiFX Ltd, arrange the transfer with them. transfer the money from my UK account to HiFX and four days later its in my Banco Popular account at no charge nor fee to me

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast