Southwest announces flights to Dominican Republic

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Texan low cost carrier Southwest announced nonstop flights to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic starting 2 November 2014. The new flights are already available for purchase on the airline’s website. The airline now serves more than 90 destinations across five countries in North America and the Caribbean.
Southwest is offering introductory fares from US gateway cities:
Dallas and Punta Cana, from US$235 one-way
Atlanta and Punta Cana, from US$165 one-way
Baltimore/Washington and Punta Cana, from US$195 one-way
Chicago Midway and Punta Cana, from US$195 one-way
The Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago and Dallas flights are still subject to government approvals.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
The Texan low cost carrier Southwest announced nonstop flights to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic starting 2 November 2014. The new flights are already available for purchase on the airline’s website. The airline now serves more than 90 destinations across five countries in North America and the Caribbean.
Southwest is offering introductory fares from US gateway cities:
Dallas and Punta Cana, from US$235 one-way
Atlanta and Punta Cana, from US$165 one-way
Baltimore/Washington and Punta Cana, from US$195 one-way
Chicago Midway and Punta Cana, from US$195 one-way
The Atlanta, Baltimore and Chicago flights are still subject to government approvals.

Southwest, via its wholly owned subsidiary AirTran, already flies to the DR.

As I am told, they are folding AirTran into Southwest and expect to complete that task late this year, such that AirTran will now become just Southwest.

The new service being added and branded as Southwest will be a welcome addition to the DR, both from a convenience and competition perspective.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
The four flights need government approval. Would they need government approval just for a name change?

Good question. Its not a new airline but rather a wholly owned subsidiary, notification of the name change only (formality) but not new approval for those flights that exist.

As to the new flight(s) needing government approval, airlines rarely announce new service unless they know they will receive the required approvals. That would be just to big of a public relations mess. Besides, I believe you can even purchase tickets now for those flights beginning in November.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Apr 13, 2011
I like that Southwest and United will be adding more flights to the DR. It was a pain when the only options for me were JetBlue and American. I like JetBlue, but I would like the competition to drive the pricing down some - because it has been getting a little too high too fast over the last few years. What was $500 RT, now costing $800 RT during the same time of year...
I hope Southwest and United add even more routes, and flights with decent times, to the other airports also (especially SDQ for me).

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Just done a quick check from PC to Midway for december 756us, still leaves me one stop short of destination as either have to rent or transfer to Ohara. From SDQ to home 786us via AA. Only good thing is nonstop flight instead of 8hr with connections. rental with drop off will be another 150us. Delta 868us. Don't see where SouthWest will buy me anything.

Last edited:

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Southwest is adding an international terminal to Hobby Airport. Southwest will be adding international flights from Hobby and hopefully some non stop to DR.