safety in DR according to social progress imperative

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm surprised by the high ranking for Czech Republic!

On DR, everyday I find more reasons why this is not the country where I want my children to grow up.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I can't honestly believe that DR would be classified lower than many countries in Africa that are pledged with civil wars, terrorists and whatever else... Humm....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm surprised at how low the USA is on the index. The DR is a relatively new democracy with a long way to climb.

I grew up at at time when it was very safe in upstate NY. One could leave the doors open. That changed as jobs left my city for other states and other countries while at the same time many immigrants (mostly from a US protectorate in the Caribbean) were coming in thinking there were still jobs to be had. Not enough jobs and poorly paying jobs had a lot to do with my town going into the dumper where it still is today. Much higher crime and houses not worth purchasing.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Windguy,just a friendly reminder that this is "DR1",...not "Upstate NY1"!
Non DR related posts, EXCEPT in the "Off Topic" forum, will be deleted.
"Shieriff",CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I can't honestly believe that DR would be classified lower than many countries in Africa that are pledged with civil wars, terrorists and whatever else... Humm....

note that the classification is for personal safety. it seems to me the wars were not taken into the account and the focus was on delinquincia and general crime level. maybe also international polls that show the crime is one of the biggest concerns for dominicans, more than other criteria, such as education or health...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Down here you look out for yourself or risk being a victim. Walk softly and keep your leetle fren close has worked for me so far.
I am not paranoid. I know they are out to get me.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I really don't know where all of sudden there are all kinds of "studies" coming out and ranking The DR way at the bottom in terms of progress, security, etc. I don't wear "rose colored" glasses, but I guess I must go to a bunch of some of these other countries and see how it really is then, because to say that The DR is more insecure than Honduras (current murder capital of the world), Syria (war), Sudan and/or South Sudan (Ethnic war), Somalia (Maybe they're not considered a country), etc...is just utterly ridiculous IMO.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I really don't know where all of sudden there are all kinds of "studies" coming out and ranking The DR way at the bottom in terms of progress, security, etc.

this study was in dominican news, so was "smart city" poll chiri posted a while ago (eventually). so it's not the grumpy old expats googling "studies that made DR look like crap" just so they can post i-told-ya type of a thread. personally i think it is another filler. dominican press is known to bring out stories and milk them dry, especially if nothing much is happening in DR. or when they need to cover up some real news, like national debt and so on.

there are some themes coming back on regular basis: infant and maternal mortality, breastfeeding, teen pregnancy, the state of the hospitals/roads/cemeteries, mental health, suicides, poverty, homelessness and so on. note that all those subjects are sad and tragic and bring out all the bad things about DR. and this is dominican journalists, writing for dominican newspapers, living in DR.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Pa?s Seguro

The crime rate has indeed increased greatly in the DR, and thus personal safety issues have risen.

Look at it this way... :bunny:

Sicheres_Land_zps7af06a54.jpg

:cheeky:

donP

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
diario libre reports that SPI ranks DR as one of the countries with the lowest personal safety index:
Rep?blica Dominicana, el s?ptimo pa?s m?s inseguro en el ?ndice de Progreso Social - DiarioLibre.com

original data here:
Social Progress Index - Data - Social Progress Index - The Social Progress Imperative

the tables are actually quite interesting, you can pick up the values to compare.

Not surprising. Where you find corruption and graft at all levels in the DR than you will find a very low rating, especially in the area of personal safety.