the paradox of Dominican and Haitian relations.

John Danzell

May 19, 2014
www.facebook.com
i am interested to hear from the experiences of those with extensive experience on the ground there.

As i studied the complex history on Hispaniola, and the effects that it had on the modern culture of the two countries and their views toward each other. Of significant interest to me is how events that created division and spite between the two nations, also created solidarity between the people sharing that island. I understand that there is a significant racial identity conundrum in DR and associated racial tensions from both historical conflicts and foreign political influence. I am also aware that their is a portion of Dominican society that is strongly anti-Haitian, and in addition often anti-black by association. But interestingly i have never personally met Dominicans of this extreme perspective, instead many of the Dominicans that i know consider Haitians to be other poor people sharing their island and their struggles in the challenges of poverty. I also have Haitian friends, that have Dominicans on the island that they consider family. I have Dominican friends that consider some Haitians to be their closest friends in the world. But i have also spoken with Haitians that are strongly anti-Dominican, especially in the aftermath of the recent political decisions in DR affecting Haitian descendants. Lastly i watched the 2005 documentary entitled "the price of sugar," and it showed poor Dominicans voicing the type of anti-Haitian language that i considered to be more commonly be held by some wealthy Dominican elites. I just think the subject is very interesting. if you haven't seen "Black in Latin America: Episode 1 Dominican Republic and Haiti - the roots of division" it is extremely interesting! i am interested what you guys and girls have observed in daily life there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RlG4b3LV9o

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The roots of the dislikes/fears are varied, real, and historic. If you use the search function you'll see that the subject, including the documentaries you mentioned has been covered extensively. The movies are not particularly accurate in that they only reflect what the producers are trying to convey( seen through American eyes) rather that the whole convoluted mess that is Dominican history.
I think that Dominicans fear Haitians because of the sheer numbers of them that are here, and based on the rhetoric that comes from the Haitians that seem to think they have the right to be in the DR. I don't think much of the film.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
i am interested to hear from the experiences of those with extensive experience on the ground there.

As i studied the complex history on Hispaniola, and the effects that it had on the modern culture of the two countries and their views toward each other. Of significant interest to me is how events that created division and spite between the two nations, also created solidarity between the people sharing that island. I understand that there is a significant racial identity conundrum in DR and associated racial tensions from both historical conflicts and foreign political influence. I am also aware that their is a portion of Dominican society that is strongly anti-Haitian, and in addition often anti-black by association. But interestingly i have never personally met Dominicans of this extreme perspective, instead many of the Dominicans that i know consider Haitians to be other poor people sharing their island and their struggles in the challenges of poverty. I also have Haitian friends, that have Dominicans on the island that they consider family. I have Dominican friends that consider some Haitians to be their closest friends in the world. But i have also spoken with Haitians that are strongly anti-Dominican, especially in the aftermath of the recent political decisions in DR affecting Haitian descendants. Lastly i watched the 2005 documentary entitled "the price of sugar," and it showed poor Dominicans voicing the type of anti-Haitian language that i considered to be more commonly be held by some wealthy Dominican elites. I just think the subject is very interesting. if you haven't seen "Black in Latin America: Episode 1 Dominican Republic and Haiti - the roots of division" it is extremely interesting! i am interested what you guys and girls have observed in daily life there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RlG4b3LV9o

It is a similiar feeling with many white folks in the West and Southwest that don't like Mexicans and don't want them coming into the US illegally. Domincans don't like the fact that Haitians are willing to work harder and longer at a lesser rate even though most Dominicans would not do the jobs that Haitians do. Dominicans feels that many Haitians are in the DR illegally and utilizing the resources of the Domincian gov and it's people. Many Domincans feels that Haitians bring problems and crime with them to the DR. Is that enough reasons for you? Maybe the resentment will lessen after the new immigration laws are instituted but somehow I don't think so. There are many Dominicans who feel they are related to Spanish or Taino Indian ancestry and not those of slaves. They seem to feel they need to make a distinction in this regard and look down upon the Haitians who are direct decendents of African slaves. It is a problem that seems there is no real answer to.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just a reminder to both old and new posters - discussions related to race and religion are not permitted on DR1.

Please tread lightly and bear that in mind.