Buying a celular chip in or near Playa Dorada

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
An acquaintance is arriving at Playa Dorada on a Sunday afternoon. Is there anywhere he can get a chip fitted into his phone on a Sunday?

If he has to wait until Monday morning, will he have to go into Pto Pta city to get it done?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
There's a little gal in El Pueblito who does it over on the far side known as Blue Shops don't know if she has Claro or Orange or all of them. I believe she is there on Sundays.
Der Fish
Thanks, Derfish, but that is a bit too cryptic for me.

Is El Pueblito the public beach immediately to the west of Playa Dorada?

And by "little gal", do you mean a minor, a midget, or someone's abuela?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
london, why wait for your friend to arrive?? just get one this week as long as you know what phone he has you can pick one up.

where are you located? there is a guy here in sosua sells sim cards.....

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
There is probably a shop or two right in the Plaza at the complex that will sell them. The shops are open every day

Bob K

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
how long do u think it would take for round trip on a bus/publico from dorada to plata to grab a sim card?
just not sure if it's too far away to make a quick undercover getaway on sunday from our ai
Allow 90 minutes by public transport and you may need to be willing to ride a moto depending which route the publico takes through town. I have waited 30 minutes at the counter for them to process the transaction (those that was many years ago, and Orange rather than Claro). All Claro's own shops will be closed on a Sunday. There may be boutiques in supermarkets which will do so on a Sunday but they may close at 5pm even iof the store stays open longer.

Sounds a lot of hassle. Why cannot you just borrow a phone at the hotel for any calls you wish to make on a Sunday, and buy you own chip on Monday?

There is also a chance you may be able to get your phone chipped in the plaza at Playa Dorada on Sunday.

haunted

May 22, 2014
Allow 90 minutes by public transport and you may need to be willing to ride a moto depending which route the publico takes through town. I have waited 30 minutes at the counter for them to process the transaction (those that was many years ago, and Orange rather than Claro). All Claro's own shops will be closed on a Sunday. There may be boutiques in supermarkets which will do so on a Sunday but they may close at 5pm even iof the store stays open longer.

Sounds a lot of hassle. Why cannot you just borrow a phone at the hotel for any calls you wish to make on a Sunday, and buy you own chip on Monday?

There is also a chance you may be able to get your phone chipped in the plaza at Playa Dorada on Sunday.

Thanks for the info.
I think I'll stick with just trying to get the SIM card in the plaza on Sunday.
If not I can wait till Monday and get it done in Sosua.
I just don't get why we need id for the SIM card?
I really wish to keep everything anonymous.
Can they not overlook the ID for $20 USD?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
There may be boutiques in supermarkets which will do so on a Sunday but they may close at 5pm even if the store stays open longer.
I just checked in La Sirena (Puerto Plata's largest supermarket). The Claro shop closes at 2.00pm on Sunday.

haunted

May 22, 2014
You should change your "Name" from "Haunted",....to "Obsessed"!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

lol, ya i'm a bit ocd...and i know...all the plans i make are sure to fall apart anyways...that's what travels about! lol