Giving birth in the DR when you're an expatriate

G

guanabana

My husband and I are at the point where we must make a big decision -- will I give birth in the Dominican Republic or give birth in the USA? Yes, it seems like the simple and wise choice is to give birth in the USA where medical care for both mothers and infants is more advanced. Afterall, one can never anticipate when a mother will hemorrhage after giving birth or when an infant will struggle to breathe after birth. The majority of women have uncomplicated labor and deliver healthy babies. But there are many possible bad outcomes -- meconium aspiration, asphyxia, breech position, non-reassuring fetal heart tones, preeclampsia, etc.

The decision is not as simple as it seems. My husband does not have is visa for the USA yet! This is our first child together and we deeply desire to be together when the baby is born!

Also, I have volunteered extensively in public hospitals/clinics in Santiago and I do not like the conditions that I observed. I have heard that private clinics offer more comforts and better care. However, I have not confirmed this for myself.

I am hoping to find a few expat women who can share their stories of giving birth in a private clinic in the Dominican Republic! Please share your experience!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
The U.S.A for the reasons you described and for the benefits of being born in the U.S. There are way too many benefits being born in the U.S.A to even faintly consider here.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I had two daughters born here with no problems. One in the public hospital and one in a private one.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
My husband and I are at the point where we must make a big decision -- will I give birth in the Dominican Republic or give birth in the USA?

Well, I am not the expat women you were hoping for, not even a women... Pero, I have a some experience with childbirth, and recently delivered my daughter in the comfort of my own home. The reason I decided to respond to your question is because, even though my wife and I both have a background in medicine, at the time of my daughters birth had insurance that would afford us the best baby catchers and all the latest medical baby thingys, we decided to have a home birth with the assistance of a nurse midwife. Our midwife had long grey hair, lived in a farmhouse, and smelled of patchouli. Why, because midwives deliver babies, and doctors treat sick people. Pregnancy is not a sickness.

As for no one being able to anticipate these things, that is not entirely true. I have no idea what prenatal care is like in the DR, but you should be more concerned with good prenatal care than who and where the baby is caught, provided you've had regular check ups, ultrasounds, and have no risk factors(Hypertension, diabetes, proper nutrition, drinking, smoking ect.)

My wife and I did a lot of research on the subject, and some of it was disturbing. The US has one of the higher infant mortality rates of developed countries. Why, simply because women in labor are treated like sick people, and far to often are rushed off for a C- section, or the mother and/or newborn are given meds or subject to unnecessary procedures (The opinion we came to)

With good prenatal care and ultrasounds, for the most part, you will know about most of the possible bad outcomes prior to going into labor.

I would say, if you really want to deliver in the DR, find yourself some good prenatal care, possibly go to the US for a couple visits and establish yourself with an OB, and if all is looking good deliver in the comfort of your own home with a midwife. If issues start to arise, then head to the US...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
As long as the birth goes smoothly without complications you willl be fine in the DR. BUT if there are unforseen problems you want to be in a clean modern US hospital. I would never consider my wife giving birth in a DR hospital. Good luck.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Poster Shalena can give you an honest opinion either way. PM Sking (?) and I am sure she will provide you with a wealth of information.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do as you wish but also consider the fact that you may prefer to have family and friends close to help you out with the last months of pregnancy and the first months with the child. and if you holding on to the idea of your husband being with you for the birth - abandon your hopes. i only know once instance when a father was allowed in and that's because a mother was good friends with the owners of the hospitals. other than that the chances are slim.

birth is not rocket science and millions of women manage to pop out kids without any problems but s**t can happen. it may be too late (if third term) or too dangerous (complications) for you to travel in case something goes wrong along the way.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
If people feel so scared and paranoid to seek medical care in the DR why do you live here? How can someone live in another country thousand of miles away from their home country and live in such a paranoid state of mind is beyond me. :rolleyes:

John Danzell

May 19, 2014
www.facebook.com
Birth and Maternal Health Around the World | Parenting

interesting article that compares childbirth practices and statistics in various locations around the world. it also gives some of the pros and cons of home vs hospital births, by presenting some data on complications and maternal death in various locales/ cultures.

I would add that the body of science presented in medical education is consistent around the world. Teaching practices may vary, but this is also true within the different schools in a single country. students a one USA medical school will undoubtedly have some strengths and weaknesses by comparison to students of a different school employing a different curriculum structure. Theoretically standardized licensing exams seek to level the playing field, but i would argue that subtle differences would not prevent student achieving passing scores at even the same level of scoring. Conventional wisdom would then expect that the experience of extended training repetition would help to smooth out those areas of weakness prior to specialty specific licensing, to that i see some merit.

Medical schools are very selective everywhere in the world as to who can gain admission, to then have to prove themselves capable of successfully achieving to the extreme scholastic demands required, while being presented the same body of scientific knowledge, and learning to successfully apply that knowledge to the findings of physical examination and oral history, to finally achieve approval to graduate. There are physicians and other healthcare workers performing miracles and also suffering setbacks everywhere from schanty towns to luxury private hospitals. but i would not fear that the collective body of physicians in an entire country are sub-par in performance, i would only be concerned about access to a comfortable medical facility that is adequately staffed and not lacking supplies. In developing countries this is most often the private hospitals most consistently. home birth is also an option as mentioned above in other comments, but in case of one of those rare complications, i'm not sure i would advise it. if you have the option, it is just the safer approach to be immediately surrounded by the trained professionals with ready access to any possible necessary supplies to impart life sustaining intervention for either mother or child.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
This is a no brainer. Head to the US for your baby. I speak from experience. PM me if you like

Bob K

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Chiri thread was the one..... but there are a couple of others dealing with the 'What went wrong angle' that are a bit sobering.

On the other hand, many, many women give birth here .....

All about your comfort level , I suppose.

Interesting comment from dv8 about no men allowed...... just the opposite in Canada, at least when we had ours.
Fathers were encouraged to attend.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Interesting comment from dv8 about no men allowed...... just the opposite in Canada, at least when we had ours.
Fathers were encouraged to attend.

It might also be cultural with Dominicans - when our kids were born [USA] and the doctor asked Mr. AE if he wanted to be there, he was very taken aback. I think he stuttered his "No, I'll wait here thank you". :laugh: [In all fairness, they were both c-sections]

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
@guanabana,

One other alternative for you would be to look at Puerto Rico. Modern hospital in San Juan, short hop via Seaborne Air at $99.00 each way. You should also start the visa process for your husband now. There is a group @ Bring Your Dominican Family to the USA - Dominicans to the USA - Index that will have all the answers to questions regarding visa. Tim & Dmo are very good at helping people through the process, and it's free.

Hope this helps, and good luck !

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Assuming that you have had the pre-natal care as someone already mentioned and that as far as you know there aren't any expected complications or special circumstances I would say just go to a good private clinic (HOMS, Hospiten, etc). Their quality of care is somewhat comparable to The US. DO NOT do this in a public hospital in The DR. In terms of having a Dominican vs US passport it's a non-issue. Your child will have both regardless.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
If people feel so scared and paranoid to seek medical care in the DR why do you live here? How can someone live in another country thousand of miles away from their home country and live in such a paranoid state of mind is beyond me. :rolleyes:

many cannot leave DR to do any medical procedures abroad because they do not have health insurance in their home countries or money to pay cold hard cash for those. i had a surgery in DR and i was happy with the service but birth is putting two lives at stake. if early indications are positive giving birth in DR is not a problem. if early indications are poor then it is better to leave, providing that one can.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Public hospitals here are for the very poor and of last resort, nobody with any means will go to a public hospital. Find a good OBGYN here that has a good reputation and lot's of experience (The more the better) and that works at a well equipped private clean hospital/clinic. Do the same as you would do in your home country be selective and you should be fine. IMO that would be very shallow and an insult to have the birth far away from the other spouse and family especially, when there are some very good doctors and private hospital/clinic here available to you in the DR. Like mentioned already before "Having a baby is not rocket science."