DR Cost of Living - worldwide comparison

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
The price of the gym and the cinema is high in this article and my power bill is 1000 Dop a mounth.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i run a quick comparison of DR (data for POP is incomplete) with my city in poland. the rent and utilities are higher back home (with the exception of internet, almost 3 times more expensive in DR) but food was generally cheaper in poland (including oranges, ironically). and the average salary back home is almost twice as much as DR. note that my city in PL is a capital of a province and has a population of 450k or so.

interesting page.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My thoughts: you cannot compare two cities in this way. This site compares comfortable, high quality life with uncomfortable misery. If I compare an inexpensive meal in my country with an equal meal in Santo Domingo, I wouldn't compare it with a 300 pesos plato del dia.

Besides that, the data on this site is off. It tells me a McDonalds combo in my country is 10 euros. last year I paid 6 euros (against 5 euros in Santo Domingo). An inexpensive meal is supposedly 18.75 euros in my country. That's nonsense. That's a decent meal in a nice restaurant. An inexpensive meal in my country is shoarma, pizza, etc., which will cost you about 5 to 7 euros.

According to this site Santo Domingo is cheaper, way cheaper than the city I was born. I can assure you that's not true. It must be comparing low-class spending in Santo Domingo with middle class spending in my country.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Overall the N.C. is much more inexpensive to live than N.J. great site thanks for sharing.

drescape24

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
The price of the gym and the cinema is high in this article and my power bill is 1000 Dop a mounth.

Its an average, its like i would say the price there is cheap because my power bill is 8k pesos.

Some cinema's are cheaper, but the good theater are around 200-250dop so the 5$ ish avg seems right.

Yes, movies in DR are cheap and totally worth it! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
interesting but there are so many variables that comparisons are difficult. If a person wishes they are able to live here cheap but its not really what I would call living.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
My thoughts: you cannot compare two cities in this way. This site compares comfortable, high quality life with uncomfortable misery. If I compare an inexpensive meal in my country with an equal meal in Santo Domingo, I wouldn't compare it with a 300 pesos plato del dia.

Besides that, the data on this site is off. It tells me a McDonalds combo in my country is 10 euros. last year I paid 6 euros (against 5 euros in Santo Domingo). An inexpensive meal is supposedly 18.75 euros in my country. That's nonsense. That's a decent meal in a nice restaurant. An inexpensive meal in my country is shoarma, pizza, etc., which will cost you about 5 to 7 euros.

According to this site Santo Domingo is cheaper, way cheaper than the city I was born. I can assure you that's not true. It must be comparing low-class spending in Santo Domingo with middle class spending in my country.

you make sense, man!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Boots On The Ground" say it NOT CHEAP to live here!
You CAN live CHEAP HERE, but not WELL at the same time!
My "DR1" experience is that those posters with very little money tend to say, "It's cheap to live in the DR"!!!!!!
But Them,......They have NO CHOICE!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I'm broke here, had more money back home, Wisco, USA)

Rent here is more than my mortgage (I don't have a pool nor do I live steps to the ocean, but he house size is the same)
Electricity is twice as much
Internet is the same, cable is less
Food is wayyyy more
Gas is wayyyy more
Gadgets, electronics, toys, cars, ATVs wayyyy more
Household items (dishes, towels, sheets, pots and pans) are the same, but the quality is crap)
Alcohol is more (not in price per unit, it's an island, I drink more!)
More extortion and theivery, less taxes...
Loans are impossibly expensive
Education for the chitlins is more (because I am still a homeowner in Wisco, i get the added benefit of paying school taxes in the US!)

Health and car insurance is less
Labor is less, but ya get what ya pay for
Cable is less
Auto repairs, less, tires and parts less
Eating out can be less, not so certain about Sosua, but in the Campo it was less

There are thousands of tiny 'little expenses' here that eat away at my bank account. Granted we haven't been here long, moved twice in seven months, have been buying things for the house like mad, and don't know no better.

Easy comparison, get yourself a La Sirena flyer and a Walmart flyer and compare them side by side. Anything that is less or the same at La Sirena will fall apart in two weeks.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I am not here because it is cheep, it is not!!!! cheep here if you won't to live a decent live here. I am here for a lot of other personal reasons.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
My "DR1" experience is that those posters with very little money tend to say, "It's cheap to live in the DR"!!!!!!

I am trying to live here on 1500 per month. I am trying to make a game of it, and the truth is I am failing miserably. I am tracking every expense, and I must say the phone is just killing me. I think I went for 5k pesos in calls last month.

NO not cheap!! But the pay off is I am healthier and happier than I have ever been living on 6k per month. I have lost weight, and my quality of life has gotten better. Money isn't everything....

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
In my case too. I have had to give up almost all cultural things but I think that is balanced pretty evenly with the good weather.

As far as prices I am lower on some of the items (food) and higher on others (wine). Overall better prices and equal environment (weather/culture). Living well and cheaper than Columbus, OH USA.

And I have a choice of living just about any place in the world. Yes, I have the CHOICE; soon I will have been here a year on a 2000/mo budget.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"dr6" great post!
Car & health insurance "COST" less, but you get "Much Less" for that "Cost"!!!!!!!!
AND, we are forgetting that in civilized countries we get government services for the taxes we pay!
In the DR,...."Not So Much"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

On paper it may be cheaper from my City (especially real estate) but it just isn't in most cases and if it is cheaper the quality of things is horrible so you have to buy certain things a lot more and the labour is crap work so you have to have things fixed 10 times!!

My pool shed just caught on fire 10 minutes ago, no doubt from sh*tty electrical work!

For a dirty unsafe third world Country I thought it would be a lot cheaper to live here! The more I live here the more I wonder why the **** I moved here!

DR 1 HR 0!!!!!!

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
In my case too. I have had to give up almost all cultural things but I think that is balanced pretty evenly with the good weather.

As far as prices I am lower on some of the items (food) and higher on others (wine). Overall better prices and equal environment (weather/culture). Living well and cheaper than Columbus, OH USA.

And I have a choice of living just about any place in the world. Yes, I have the CHOICE; soon I will have been here a year on a 2000/mo budget.[/QUOTE

Do you live in the campo?

C

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Interesting page. After comparing a few other islands to the DR, housing, elect. and food are all cheaper in the DR. However, we're sailors and mostly live aboard, so I'll refrain from any further comment.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
So, now that I followed the rules I went and looked at the site. I am ready to comment.

I remember seeing that site a few months before I moved here. It made me think, "Awesome, things are soo cheap! I will live like a king on my US income! Sippin drinks on the beach, plenty of money left over to enjoy the better things in life"

Fast forward a year, and that website sucks and is full of more lies and garbage than the Westboro Baptist Church homepage!