When to renew permanent residence

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Since we don't have enough threads on renewing residence, I though let me start one.

My permanent residence needs to be renewed early july. I am leaving the country some days before that and coming back after the date of expiry. I can renew 45 days before expiry, but the place is packed all the time, so I would like to wait till when I come back. That's also what a lady in migration told me to do. However, I dont want them to take my residence card when leaving (I doubt it, since it won't have expired yet ) or entering again the country (which will make it difficult to renew it, if I can't show them the expired residence card).

Any thoughts?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Leave with your valid residency card and return as a tourist (buy a tourist card), everything will be fine. If you present your expired residency card upon return it could be confiscated by the immigration officer who is checking you in. Happened to me before!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it will be confiscated--- happened to my wife..... but it goes Migracion

She was in exactly your position.... she left RD and had done the medical but not rec'd the tarjeta.... they took the old one

I asked them at Migracion -- no problema....

she is scheduled for July 9 to get the card and will enter on a tourist card.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I renew last june in Santiago 45 days before expiring. They took my valid permanent card and gave me the copy of the new application. Stamped.
They told me I can leave and enter the country with that document. I done it, leaving via Santiago and arriving via Santiago in late august. No problem, no turistcard.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Mine was due in Aug 2014 but I wanted to renew it before I left in April. I went to the new office in Veron and it was very easy. They where sort of puzzled as to why I would give up 5 months on my residency card but I was not sure if I could be back in August. It worked out great and now I don't have to worry about it for the next 4 years.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mine was due in Aug 2014 but I wanted to renew it before I left in April. I went to the new office in Veron and it was very easy. They where sort of puzzled as to why I would give up 5 months on my residency card but I was not sure if I could be back in August. It worked out great and now I don't have to worry about it for the next 4 years.

What new office? Where is it?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Plaza Velero in Veron. Been open for several months now.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk