Competitive nature that is Dominican

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
One of the good parts about living in the Caribbean is the excellent sailing and watersports activities that are available here. My Dominican wife is into racing in the numerous regattas. When we're in spanish waters such as home in the DR, Puerto Rico, or our favorite Island Culebra, shes always crewing on a boat and is partly because of her competitive attitude. When we're further south in the VI, she has an IC24 that she races. I might add that even though I taught her to sail, she precers not to race with me on her boat. This is also due to her competitive nature and the fact that in her own words, "she doesn't need the extra ballast" and likes little people in the boat so it goes faster. She is one of the few or only spanish racing crew, and this in itself is funny as hell when shes swearing and warding off other boats when they get what she feels is too close or are in her way. We dinghy along with the racers in a RIB with an outboard enjoying the race and taking pictures.

Thanksgiving regatta in Coral bay last year saw Gabrielas team and a St. Thomas local heading for the final marker for the downwind run fighting for position. Of course Gaby was yelling out spanish with the other female Dominican team mate when Doug missed a tack and gave the girls an oportunity to gain position. They make there move but Doug recovers his mistake more quickly then she figured. The girls did have the right of way but the boats are now closer and they were now both yelling at them to yield in their best spanglish. After figuring that he wasn't going to give up his line so easily, she moved her boat even closer to him. Now they are all yelling at each other with Gaby yelling in spanglish, "what happen, what happen. F*ck you. You finish, you finish gringo" making him yield to the inside line as they came to the bouy. This move allowed the girls to finish second in their class beating out Doug's team. The party afterwards had everybody in stitches recounting these two Dominicanas and their competitive nature.

So do you other married guys find your wives competitive in nature? Does anyone else think that maybe their need for the nicest nails, clothes, shoes simply because that they are all just very competitive??

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Some just have a competitive nature and go through life with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. I don't find this true in most cases. Very few have the fire burning 24/7.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I can understand why she prefers you not to be on the boat when she is "racing". However I wont comment.
Dominican woman are not known as over achievers with a burning work ethic by a long shot.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
So do you other married guys find your wives competitive in nature? Does anyone else think that maybe their need for the nicest nails, clothes, shoes simply because that they are all just very competitive??

I agree w/you. They fight for the line and have equal swagger in this area too. Nice story. Thanks.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I agree w/you. They fight for the line and have equal swagger in this area too. Nice story. Thanks.

I've just noticed that most of the Dominicans seem to be very competitive whether playing sports, working, dancing, or even the girls competing for the attention of the tourists. For instance, Look at the World Series of Baseball last year and how the DR was able to put it all together. It dawned on me that possibly we as outsiders looking in were not reading Dominicans correctly and missing their extreme competitiveness. I'm wondering if I can use this to my advantage when working on projects in the DR. Just food for thought I guess..

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I can understand why she prefers you not to be on the boat when she is "racing". However I wont comment.
Dominican woman are not known as over achievers with a burning work ethic by a long shot.

For what it's worth Paul, Thanks for not ruining the thread with uncalled for remarks..

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Your wife is into racing in regattas, so I am not sure, she is representative of the average Dominican woman, nor women in the world lol.

I don't find Dominican women, nor Dominican in general, to be particularly competitive. I am guessing some are, some aren't. Trying to impress the next gringo is not being competitive, nor spending time and money (that many dont have) on their appearances.

It s like saying that Dom. Men are competitive because they want outdo each other with loud music.

Last edited:

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
As a people, Dominicans are no more competitive, yet no less competitive, than any other group. Their exists a bias that non-Western 3rd World nation peoples do not have as competitive a nature. If you entertain this bias then you will no doubt be surprised at a Dominican competing at a high level.

Also, women in general are competitive in nature. They grow up competing for the men of their choice and don't like to lose. In this manner, and again, on a level playing field, they can become ferocious adversaries even when competing with the opposite sex.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Also, women in general are competitive in nature. They grow up competing for the men of their choice and don't like to lose. In this manner, and again, on a level playing field, they can become ferocious adversaries even when competing with the opposite sex.

I don't know... I call that human nature..ie you want what you can't have (or at least what appears more difficult to have).
Let me tell you as a woman, I get more attention/propositions than when I DO have a man :)

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
To me being competitive implies that one strives at a minimum to do the best of their abilities. More so, being truly competitive means someone is striving to do better each time they attempt something. Lastly, it means trying to do better than those around.

In my experience with Dominicans at every level (pool cleaner, cashier, doctor, lawyer) most do the very minimum to get the job done.

Not a bias... an observation.

Aug 6, 2006
Competition can be both good and bad.

Cattiness and treachery are also competitive behaviors.

Making a better pizza and/or selling it for less is useful competition.

Sabotage and spreading rumors is not helpful.

I have not noticed that Dominican women are anywhere near as competitive as American women. They are not nearly so much into "keeping up with the Joneses", and they are less catty. Spanish women and Mexican women are experts in "tirando indir?s", that is making catty remarks about third parties that are really aimed at the women they are speaking with.

Lying is an art as well. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is the most effective at lying, American women rate, as I see it, an 8. Mexicans perhaps a 4. Dominican women are horrible liars and make up stuff that they themselves do not believe. I'd give the one I have known no better than 2. Of course, the trick is not to point out that the lie is a lie: one must always remember that one cannot really win an argument with a woman. Arguing is generally a total waste of time & effort.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why is this thread in mars and venus section? it's about being competitive in sports, and not in a race to mount the man bone.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Well, it really didn't seem to fit anywhere else, and it is about a Dominicana. I thought about putting it in general, but it looked to me to be more for getting questions answered more than posting a mini novel. You of course have the ability to move the thread I would think if you care to, or maybe give a relitively new poster some advice on where to post it for future reference if you would please.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I actually love the fact that Dominican women are not into keeping up with the Jones' like American women. I also like the fact that they dont hold sex hostage like American women do. Back on topic, I personally see the Dominican women much more competitive than American women, and have seen this first hand in sailbot racing. An American captain in the same situation that Gabriela was in would not have moved in closer to insure she would not be overtaken at the mark in fear of possible contact with the other boat. IMO of.course.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"jstar" you are obviously very proud of your "Dominicana" and her accomplishments!
I am happy for the both of you.
BUT, you didn't have to add your contrived question at the end of the Loooooooooooooooooong list of your wife's exploits!
It's "OK" just to be proud, without the "Excuse of a Question".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
My wife is NOT competitive, she likes to "WIN" without exerting ANY effort!

"Dominican Women" don't try to "Keep Up With The Jones' ", but they will kill each other to "Get Ahead of the "Fulanos"!
AND DO!!!!
Ya gotta get off the boat sometimes!

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Sailing is an upper middle class hobby. The average Dominicana would raise her eyes and wag her finger if it wasnt a power boat. A competitive spirit is usually a prerequisite. Maybe your wife is competitive and thats why she sails same as her crewmates.. To say all Dominican women are uber competitive may be a misnomer.
Saying Dominican women dont like to keep up with the Joneses is imho utterly false. Then again if you have a woman who grew up with some money and never wanted I guess she wouldnt really care about keeping up because she is a jones

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
"jstar" you are obviously very proud of your "Dominicana" and her accomplishments!
I am happy for the both of you.
BUT, you didn't have to add your contrived question at the end of the Loooooooooooooooooong list of your wife's exploits!
It's "OK" just to be proud, without the "Excuse of a Question".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
My wife is NOT competitive, she likes to "WIN" without exerting ANY effort!

"Dominican Women" don't try to "Keep Up With The Jones' ", but they will kill each other to "Get Ahead of the "Fulanos"!
AND DO!!!!
Ya gotta get off the boat sometimes!

I think you have it backwards Criss. I posted the mini novel as an example of the question. I live with a very competitive Dominicana and was wanting to hear from other posters married to Dominicanas if they find this is something they have noticed as well.

Regarding getting off of the boat, if I did that we would be stuck in the same place all of the time paying rent and high power costs like everybody else. Also, my profession requires me to be flexable about traveling to other caribbean islands and the boat allows me this flexability. Planes and hotels gets very old quickly.