Sosua, Puerto Plata, and Cabarete Restaurants.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
We are heading near Sosua very soon. I don't want to do any cooking this trip. So, anyone with a favourite place to eat please post your info. I would think this may be of interest to others too....maybe?

Anyway, I am interested not so much in high end eateries, just where you find your best Dominican lunch or something nicely different. If you can post a basic locale where the place is, the cost and what you find good there. Hoping to get current information. This would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I am familiar with Baileys, Gorditos, La Sirena, Brittannia, Cafe Cubano, place beside Tropicale in Puerto Plata.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Little place just opened up in my neighborhood, Playa Laguna. It's different, a cafe/colmado, run by an Italian guy and a Dominican Women. They don't really have a menu, you just ask and they make it, all from scratch so it takes a while, but he's got some good wines while you wait. Enter Playa Laguna go left, then take the first road to the right. It is right there on the corner.

Casa Mami is great in Cabarete. It is next to the Police Station that is being built (In the same location of the old Police station)

I also love all you can eat Taco's on Tuesdays at Martini's Restaurant in the Cabarete East Complex. The taco thing starts at 6pm. There is other food there as well but I have only gone for the Tacos buffet :)

Sosua Ocean Village is great as well but more expensive.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
KR - IN sosua you might try Orchidee , about 50 metres down Dr Rosen. Past Rocky's and on the right. Go to the back of the Hotel Courtyard and up the stairs. Restaurant in on the third floor. Good food and you will be made welcome by Tilo! Open about 6pm .
Elephante Rosso is also quite good on Pedro Clisante -Itallian food -good price and a watchers paradise. Opposite Britannia.

In POP try El Barco on the Malacon - good sea view and pleasant service, reasonably priced food of a good standard! Nice for Breakfast on a fine day.

HTH

Olly and the Team

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
for a more 'local' experience head east of Cabarete.... on the ocean side of the road

El Caminantes(sp)..... been mentioned here before

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
On Pedro is a small Dominican place next to city Lights. Excellent tipico food. Then also on Pedro just passed super super is another local eatery and grilled chicken. My favorite is Germania passed La Passions, excellent german food.

drescape24

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Tropical is now closed in Puerto Plata, but right next door is my very favorite in the city, La Lena. Pizza and hamburgers and a lot of other items.
Maimon is only 20 minutes west of Puerto Plata and the place for seafood. Six or 8 restaurants all of seafood. Thyey have people in the street waving for you to pull in and park and eat. Great little place.
Der Fish

Thanks for this....we have been to Maimon many times....fabulous.

Just a follow up question. Too bad Tropical is closed, liked that supermercado. I have never known the name but La Lena is the place next to Tropical, big thatched roof, line up for your choices at the front, playground at the back....directly across from Scotiabank? This has always been my favourite! Or do you speak of the restaurant in the corner of the building that shared with Tropical.

Thanks all for the recommendations...keep 'em coming for I plan to make a list and start visiting the places each day to have something different.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Is there a Maimon restaurant that's recommended above the others?

I have always enjoyed Los Primos. If heading towards Santiago it is on the left hand side, thatched roof, with a new tier (maybe not so new now) of seating up a small hill. I think it's the first restaurant you will see on that side....I think. Very good fresh seafood, a completely Dominican restaurant with pretty good service and prices. My favourite is camerones en criolla, big shrimp in a Creole tomato sauce....yum!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
more places in POP:
la tarappa, behind palacio de justicia
las palmas, on luis ginebra
village (i think?), opposite metro
green jack tar, in playa dorada, jar tar hotel
tostito/sushi(to), close to tropical

my favourite place in maimon is parada la playa, last on the left (coming from POP).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We like Britannia and La Costera in Sosua and Bayerischerhoff in Cabarete. If you are into Sports Bars try Kahunas in Cabarete.

For Dominican food Janet's Cafe in the Supermarket on the second floor and El Buen Comer in east Cabarete off the mainhighway in a large white building.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I have always enjoyed Los Primos. If heading towards Santiago it is on the left hand side, thatched roof, with a new tier (maybe not so new now) of seating up a small hill. I think it's the first restaurant you will see on that side....I think. Very good fresh seafood, a completely Dominican restaurant with pretty good service and prices. My favourite is camerones en criolla, big shrimp in a Creole tomato sauce....yum!

Agree - go on Sunday afternoon. Many families from Santiago and beyond. Lots of kids. A total Dominican experience.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Does anyone still go to the Chinese food restaurant in the center of Cabarete, mountain side of the road? It used to be my big favourite but I am talking a year and more ago. Friends had commented that the quality had suffered and that the owner was not always cooking, and when he wasn't the food was not too good. I would like to add this to my list if anybody has some recent experience there, thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does anyone still go to the Chinese food restaurant in the center of Cabarete, mountain side of the road? It used to be my big favourite but I am talking a year and more ago. Friends had commented that the quality had suffered and that the owner was not always cooking, and when he wasn't the food was not too good. I would like to add this to my list if anybody has some recent experience there, thanks.

We had stop going for a long time ourselves. But some former tenants of ours wanted to go there and we joined them. The food was quite good. I can't say if the owner is always cooking, but it was good that day a couple of months ago.