What jobs are qualified as domestic workers? Questions for Dr. Guzman

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I understand that the person cannot work for a company so my questions below are about those who work directly for someone at their home:

What jobs are considered domestic jobs and therefor not eligible for liquidation(severance) pay under law?

I understand that a maid and a housekeeper are domestic workers. Please confirm that.

Is a private watchman paid to watch a house not held in a company a domestic worker?

Is a full time gardener a domestic worker?

Is a handyman a domestic worker?

Is a house sitter a domestic worker?

Please respond when possible, Dr. Guzman

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Bump on this. Our local association is being threatened by a frivolous lawsuit.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Google is your fren. This is on Guzman Ariza's website: Guzm?n Ariza | Derecho de trabajo

7 Trabajadores Dom?sticos

Los trabajadores dom?sticos no se benefician del r?gimen general establecido en el C?digo de Trabajo sino que se encuentran sometido a un r?gimen especial (Art. 4). El C?digo define como trabajadores dom?sticos a aqu?llos que se dedican de modo exclusivo y en forma habitual y continua a labores de cocina, aseo, asistencia y dem?s, propias de un hogar, que no importen lucro para el empleador. (Art. 258). No son dom?sticos los trabajadores al servicio del consorcio de propietarios de un condominio.

El trabajo de los dom?sticos no se sujeta a ning?n horario aunque deben tener un descanso diario ininterrumpido de nueve horas por lo menos y un descanso semanal de 36 horas sin interrupci?n (261 and 262). Los trabajadores dom?sticos no tienen derecho al auxilio de cesant?a pero s? a dos semanas de vacaciones por a?o y al salario de navidad (Art. 263).

Matilda

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Matilda - here is a not too good translation by Bing:

7 domestic workersDomestic workers do not benefit from the general regime laid down in the labour code, but they are subject to a special regime (Art. 4). The code defines as domestic workers to those who dedicate themselves exclusively and in habitual and continuous way to kitchen, toilet, assistance and others, own a home, to import not profit for the employer. (Art. 258). Non-domestic workers in the service of the consortium of owners of a condominium.Domestic work is not subject to any schedule although they should at least have an uninterrupted daily rest of nine hours and a weekly rest of 36 hours without interruption (261 and 262). Domestic workers are not entitled to the help of severance pay but yes to two weeks of vacation per year and the wages of Christmas (Art. 263).

It is interesting

Olly and the Team

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Sorry I thought Windeguy could speak Spanish and I was too busy to translate it for him. I think the important part for him is No son dom?sticos los trabajadores al servicio del consorcio de propietarios de un condominio. Which Bing could not cope with. Workers for a condominium association are not considered as domestic workers.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it appears - quite rightly - that a condominium assoc is viewed as a corporation... not a private household

no tax breaks allowed

Windy, the lawsuit may not be so 'frivolous'.... seek more advice