A warning for ex pats with low budgets

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Vice President aims to solve hospital problems

Vice President Margarita Cedeno and Public Health Minister Freddy Hidalgo met with the management of the Robert Reid Cabral children's hospital for more than two hours yesterday, Thursday 22 May. They agreed to pay the hospital's suppliers who are currently owed RD$82 million.

The agreement was to pay RD$15 million of the debt, and Vice President Cedeno then attended a similar meeting at the Luis Eduardo Aybar hospital to discuss solutions for the hospital, which recently declared a state of emergency.

Public hospitals have been affected by the government decision to stop charging any fees to patients. The move led to a greater than expected demand for services that has not been matched by extra subsidies from the central government.

Vicepresidenta anuncia pago RD$15 MM a los suplidores del hospital Robert Reid Cabral - listindiario.com

Yesterday I had the "pleasure" to experience the "Dominican Treatment" in a Dominican hospital, el Dario Contreras. My daughter needed 9 stitches for a big cut on her knee.
I've seen pig stables cleaner than this hospital!!!
It's a disgrace!!!
I must say that the staff treated us very well and that we were treated a lot better than the nationals but I reckon that had also to do because a girl was hurt and also because of my personality and that I know how to get things done from Dominicans and that I speak the language like a latino.
I took some pictures of the room where they put the casts on, see for yourself.

Let this be a warning to all foreigners living on a small budget.
If you get hurt or get sick and don't have any money you'll be FUKKED!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Now we will here from everyone telling us how great their experiences were here at Dominican hospitals!
I had a x-ray once at "Plaza de la Salude" in SD.
The "Waiting Room" was ALSO the same room where they took the x-rays!!!!
The x-ray techs are most likely all dead fro Leukemia by now!!!!!
I visited a friend who gave birth at the maternity hospital in Villa Altagracia, there was dried blood all caked to the all metal ,delivery tables, and 5 tables in the same room.
They put newspapers on the tables during the delivery.
No sheets!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
They also have no idea how to dress 9 stiches, a full leg cast.................................. a little OTT is it not.....:surprised

Hope she?s alright Frank, and we were going to pop over today so she could take Adi off our hands for an hour:disappoin

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I?ve used a couple of the public hospitals in the capital before, but those photos are pretty grim.

Jun 18, 2007
They also have no idea how to dress 9 stiches, a full leg cast.................................. a little OTT is it not.....:surprised

Hope she?s alright Frank, and we were going to pop over today so she could take Adi off our hands for an hour:disappoin

They only put the cast on the back of her leg so she can't bend her knee, it will be taken off on Tuesday.
You're out of luck, she's spending a couple of days with her mom, I have to rob some tourists so I can pay the cab driver who took me to the city last night so I have no time for my daughter. ;)
Donations are welcome just send it to Banco Popular attention Frank :bunny: :bunny:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Dario Contreras is one of the last hospitals I would go to. One visit a few years ago to assist someone was more than enough for me. If I had to have stitches and had to chose between that hospital and my non-doctor hubby doing them, he would have the honor!!

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have also seen the horrible conditions in public hospitals here. Worse than pictures can even show.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a friend who cut herself pretty badly..... a bit far from a hospital.

She knew how to sew................ so she did herself.

They call them the weaker sex..............

Jun 18, 2007
I have a friend who cut herself pretty badly..... a bit far from a hospital.

She knew how to sew................ so she did herself.

They call them the weaker sex..............

I have done it to myself once and also to friends but with a little girl it's a little different especially when she also had an allergic reaction because they had given her Diclofenac.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and i was just about to ask wtf has happened to her face... diclofenac is the crappiest medicine there is. no idea why dominicans insist on using it for every possible health issue. there are better pain/anti-inflammatory drugs.

out of curiosity: you really could not afford to take her to a regular clinic? is it possible for you to rethink your budget and see if it is possible to include some type of health insurance? a set of stitches is ok but imagine what would happen to her if she had appendicitis or a serious accident :(

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I am just speechless from looking at the photos! But I do agree with dv8, Frank, see if it's at all
possible for you to take your little angel someplace else for her medical care!

Public hospitals is the last place anybody would want to go to. This is an eye opener
for expats, foreigners to think about before making a move to the DR because
this is exactly what's waiting for them, for those on a low budget (who cannot
afford medical insurance.)

Jun 18, 2007
I am just speechless from looking at the photos! But I do agree with dv8, Frank, see if it's at all
possible for you to take your little angel someplace else for her medical care!

Public hospitals is the last place anybody would want to go to. This is an eye opener
for expats, foreigners to think about before making a move to the DR because
this is exactly what's waiting for them, for those on a low budget (who cannot
afford medical insurance.)

Yep, out of this country

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Public hospitals are for the poorest of the poor in the DR. Most Dominicans will try all they can
even if they have to beg someone for help (financially) just so their loved ones do not end up there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Allergic reaction -- maybe they just gave her too much

At about her age (I was 8 or so) I was bitten by a dog or whatever and the ER gave me a tetanus shot.... adult dose.
My joints blew up, I could hardly walk and was in bed for days.

They said I was allergic.... only later did my mother figure out the ER error.

BUT, I was sensitive to tetanus for a very long - may still be

I truly hope your daughter feels better -- I'm sure she will.......... youth is a wonderful asset!!!

best of luck

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominican women give birth in these hospitals all the time, no anesthesia, and the births usually include an episiotomy. Now that is tough.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Dominican women give birth in these hospitals all the time, no anesthesia, and the births usually include an episiotomy. Now that is tough.

Yes it is! I can't imagine going through an episiotomy in cold blood and being stitched! :eek: