Kitchen/Plumbing Warning !!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
this happened to me in two countries - in a matter of months apart - same wife in both countries :devious:

She regularly pours the scalding water from pasta, vegetables, whatever down the drain...

TWICE !!!! Count'em twice we needed a plumber... the pipes underneath the sink fell off

I will be looking for a new wife very soon.... lock up your daughters !!

The boiling water does damage to the glue/adhesive that holds the drainpipes together..... melts it.... and then then the pipe falls off and the water scalds your feet.

In the US, this took several years....
RD being what it is.... took less time.... 6-7months a year for 4 years.

Plastic pipes are the enemy... go for metal if you can.

just run the cold water when pouring the hot water down.... easy

my new wife will know this !!:bunny:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it's crappy pipes. my mother has 40 years of putting scalding water down the kitchen sink in poland and nothing ever happened. claims it's good for the pipes too as it unblocks and cleans them. i've been following her footsteps and no issues so far.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a double sink in our DR home. Plastic pipes. All installed new about 3-4 years ago. This year we had the exact same thing happen in BOTH sides of the sink.

dv8, I always thought the same thing - cleaning out the sludge in the pipes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i think it's crappy pipes. my mother has 40 years of putting scalding water down the kitchen sink in poland and nothing ever happened. claims it's good for the pipes too as it unblocks and cleans them. i've been following her footsteps and no issues so far.

call her up my bet is that Poland has STRONGER pipes.... like the women!
made of steel

the plastic is the problem

yes, flushing is good

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Sludge doesnt stick to plastic pipes. The PVC sold at most ferreterias is uber thin and cheap. WW instead of getting a new wife pick up some brass waste pipes on your next trip to the US.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sludge doesnt stick to plastic pipes. The PVC sold at most ferreterias is uber thin and cheap. WW instead of getting a new wife pick up some brass waste pipes on your next trip to the US.

that was the US solution.... In RD , just new pipe glue

Nope, going w/ the wife swap out.... well maybe.....
I'm getting older ----- doing more 'chasing' than racing:disappoin

Aug 6, 2006
There are plastic pipes especially made for hot water. I think they require a different cement as well. If you use the right plastic and glue them with the proper cement, I think that this will cease to be a problem. You also can put a metal trap and a length of metal pipe back to where these join the plastic. That is what I use in my house.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

tell that to the deviate.... but not her mother!!

May 29, 2006
That's bad plumbing, not bad hot water. A PVC fitting chemically welds the two pipes together. They are prob using glue(bad) instead of solvent(good). Most PVC fittings will have a bit of purple around them to indicate where the primer for the solvent went.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
more than likley PiB, you are correct

that doesn't help when it's on your feet

and RD is famous for the short-cut

May 29, 2006
Prob because if you make a mistake with the solvent, you can't ever get the pipes apart. I have a hunch that sometimes they need to take something apart to make it fit together properly sometimes.

May 29, 2006
This is how it's done in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zirp8vqApQc

You have to plan ahead and dry fit the pipes first. If you don't, you can end up not being able to put your last two pipes together. It's also important to clean any rough edges. When you dry fit it together, you mark the ends of the couplings with a pencil so you know the pipe is in all the way. That twist step is also important.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The pipes under the sink shouldnt have have solvent but threaded compression joints for ease of cleaning. It was like this in my parents house and in my house in Santiago hence we never have this problem.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am happy to hear that mine is not the only problem.....

forewarned is forearmed.... it can/may/will happen to anybody

May 29, 2006
The pipes under the sink shouldnt have have solvent but threaded compression joints for ease of cleaning. It was like this in my parents house and in my house in Santiago hence we never have this problem.

Yes, usually compression fittings with vinyl rings under the sinks or metal fittings going into PVC below the unit with Teflon tape. The important thing is to be able to take it apart if you have a blockage in the P or S trap.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
Guys . All of the trap & waste lines under a sink should be Tubular Brass or Chrome, depending on whether the piping is closed in or visible , and tubular type to have the ability to disconnect the plumbing Peterinbrat is correct.

The waste piping seen in the hardware stores is sold for low price & low performance. Really all the piping under the sink, should not have any Glue, except where the horizontal waste enters the wall piping where you might have PVC glued fittings in the wall.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know what the pipes at home are made of. those immediately under the sink look kinda like white plastic. ma never melted or damaged them so they must be better quality or better workmanship than here, who knows. but then the pipes have constant contact with hot water anyway because my mom washes the dishes in hot hot hot water. i have not seen a kitchen in DR yet with properly hot water.

and what am i supposed to do if not flush the hot water down the drain? run with the pot to the bathroom? i cannot be good to empty a pot of pasta over the loo. put a larger pot or bowl inside the sink to catch that hot water? ain't nobody got time for that.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
and what am i supposed to do if not flush the hot water down the drain? run with the pot to the bathroom? i cannot be good to empty a pot of pasta over the loo. put a larger pot or bowl inside the sink to catch that hot water? ain't nobody got time for that.

Yikes....
Whatever you do , don't pour the boiling hot water in the toilet bowl.
Craack !!
Splish splash I was taking a bath...........:)