Tipping on AI

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunted

May 22, 2014
Hello all,
Never been to AI before.
Just wondering what the general pattern is for tipping.
Who and how much?

Does tipping during checkin help to get a requested room?

Thanks!

You will get MANY different answers on this one I am sure.
If you are talking about tipping at DR AI's this is how I usually tip: $2 US for maid everyday plus toys, pencils etc for her kids, $1 US a day for the mini bar. Usually $1 at every meal and we tip $1 for a special cook like someone who makes you pasta or omelette type thing.
I usually tip $1 when I go up to a bar and grab drinks for the wife and I and tip the luggage dude probably around $2-5US

When I leave I tip anyone who was exceptional more and usually tip the front desk then.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
You will get MANY different answers on this one I am sure.
If you are talking about tipping at DR AI's this is how I usually tip: $2 US for maid everyday plus toys, pencils etc for her kids, $1 US a day for the mini bar. Usually $1 at every meal and we tip $1 for a special cook like someone who makes you pasta or omelette type thing.
I usually tip $1 when I go up to a bar and grab drinks for the wife and I and tip the luggage dude probably around $2-5US

When I leave I tip anyone who was exceptional more and usually tip the front desk then.

Good man.....

Ya gonna pizz off all the cheap bastards!!

haunted

May 22, 2014
Good man.....

Ya gonna pizz off all the cheap bastards!!

Thanks! that sounds reasonable. I'm not going to have the toys/pencils etc but maybe i'll just throw in an extra $1 or something.

How does one go about ensuring a decent room?
I called and made a request for quiet building/ocean view instead of the noisy pool view.
Slip them a $20 during check in?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks! that sounds reasonable. I'm not going to have the toys/pencils etc but maybe i'll just throw in an extra $1 or something.

How does one go about ensuring a decent room?
I called and made a request for quiet building/ocean view instead of the noisy pool view.
Slip them a $20 during check in?

You have already requested what you want. They will try to give it to you. You can slip them a $20 if you want. They will take it. Wait and see what they give you for a room first.
Relax

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
My method on tipping at an All Inclusive is on the first day give a nice sweet tip to the bartenders at the main bar. Then for the rest of the trip they will always serve you first if there is a big crowd. Your drinks will be done properly and with a heavy hand. Also if you ask and remember their names it goes a long way.

Also some AI have themed restaurants where they allow you 2 visits a week. Treat the person who makes the reservations nicely and give them a nice tip. When I do that I get to eat at the restaurants for every night of my stay. I just hit the buffet for lunch.

:bunny:

My method on tipping at an All Inclusive is on the first day give a nice sweet tip to the bartenders at the main bar. Then for the rest of the trip they will always serve you first if there is a big crowd. Your drinks will be done properly and with a heavy hand. Also if you ask and remember their names it goes a long way.

Also some AI have themed restaurants where they allow you 2 visits a week. Treat the person who makes the reservations nicely and give them a nice tip. When I do that I get to eat at the restaurants for every night of my stay. I just hit the buffet for lunch.

:bunny:

It's amazing the great service you can get compared to the cranky cheap gringos who complain about everything!

Feb 7, 2007
HR you are over-tipping. If I should pay $1 tip every time I go grab drinks at the bar, it would cost me more than the whole AI stay!

This is my tipping:
50 pesos bellboys who lug our luggage. This only in case it is on 2nd or 3rd floor. If Ground floor, I pick my bags form gaugita and haul them myself.
100 pesos tip for the maid at the end of stay. But I make sure I treat her nicely and thank her during the stay when I bump into her tidying up the room.
I do not tip bartenders but I have a "don" to make a connection with them and we talk about Higuey etc. and I never have to wait, and I also get strong drinks if I wish. For very exceptional service I give them maybe a 100 pesos at the end, for 1-2 main bartenders that served the drinks.
I do not tip at restaurants, why should I. I go get my meal at buffet so I shoudl proabbly tip myself.

Call me a cheap bastard but I have always received good service form everybody in spite of infrequent tipping. Maybe, because of many Gracias and Te lo Agradezco that they receive. Sometimes a nice word is better received than a tip but snobby behavior. Also I use to frequent the same resorts, many of staff know me, and they usually appreciate return visits (at the end of day, it puts food on their table).

To the OP: Tips are already included in your AI stay. The staff receives a "porciento" every 15 days. Tips are NOT expected but are appreciated. But do not overtip because you'll spoil them.

Last edited:

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
100 pesos tip for the maid at the end of stay.

To each his own. But a 100 peso tip to the maid for cleaning your room for a week is just plain down right stingy. But like you said in your own post... at least you recognize yourself as a cheap bastard.

Rubio I should have mentioned I didn't drink Alcohol for 10 years so I wasn't going up to the bar that much at AI's! I still don't think I could get drinks without tipping every time though!

Dang I didn't read your whole post, you are really cheap!
Do you know how hard of a job being a maid is?!

A nice word is NEVER better than a tip to ANYONE EVER!!! You can be crazy nice as well! I just would not be able to look at myself in the mirror if I didn't tip somewhat ok.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
To each his own. But a 100 peso tip to the maid for cleaning your room for a week is just plain down right stingy. But like you said in your own post... at least you recognize yourself as a cheap bastard.

I do not go to AIs for a week. 3 nights max. 100 pesos is 2.5 dollars...enough for 3 days. She is paid her salary.

Oh... I forgot, your own housekeeper... you pay her the wages every month, she eats your food, and besides that, every time she makes up your room or mops the floor you pay her 100 pesos ... good to know. Please PM me your contact details I know some people who would love to work for you as your housekeeper under those conditions.

Feb 7, 2007
Dang I didn't read your whole post, you are really cheap!
Do you know how hard of a job being a maid is?!

Maybe we could do a survey of how much people tip at AIs. Not on DR1 from geroi-wanna-be's but from actual guest at AIs.
Oh, I forgot... it's been already done.

Google is your friend.

Edit: HR also yourself please PM me yur contact details. I have a tonload of people who would love to work for you, who besides their regular wages, a profitsharing plan (porciento), would also get a tip from you every time they do THEIR JOB.

Btw an AI "camarista" has wages waaaay higher than you would ever dream to pay your own husekeeper at your own house. She actually gets paid quite well for such a "difficult job". Investigate before you speak (HR & SS).

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
No need to get all worked up Rubio. In your own post you said you're a cheap bastard. Now when you get recognized for it you are getting all worked up which is very bad for your health. I do not want your health to be affected then you will have to go to the pharmacy to buy medications which is an additional expense!!! Got to watch every peso hermano!

Feb 7, 2007
HR... so just you know, your plentiful tipping actually makes you an accessory to usury. Wow, you did not expect that, how is that possible?

Well I tell you how ... I know of at least two bartenders who with their generous tips earned so much money that they opened up "prestamista" business, charging people (fellow hotel workers, now former colleagues -- because they no longer have to work) 10% interest every 15 days, that's right, 520% year interest.

Another one opened up a chain of Picapollo ... those 3 actually invested their money into something, the rest just f.u.c.k.s them (with the whores) and drinks them with Johnie Walkers.

And SS ... who does not care for one peso (or dollar) does not care for a million... my motto.

Don't worry, I have my insurance through my own company, pretty good actually with plan complementario, 0 copay on everything, not even Humano Galaxy Platinum can beat that ... and I buy my meds at a Pharmacy whose owner is my client, so the 20% the insurance does not pay is reduced to maybe 5%. So do not worry.

And my health (especially cardiac and circulatory system) is currently being helped by the nice glass or two of 2011 Argentinean Merlot I am currently enjoying while being entertained by El Capo 3 marathon tonight from my media server.

So I am quite fine... I hope you are too....

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
HR you are over-tipping. If I should pay $1 tip every time I go grab drinks at the bar, it would cost me more than the whole AI stay!

This is my tipping:
50 pesos bellboys who lug our luggage. This only in case it is on 2nd or 3rd floor. If Ground floor, I pick my bags form gaugita and haul them myself.
100 pesos tip for the maid at the end of stay. But I make sure I treat her nicely and thank her during the stay when I bump into her tidying up the room.
I do not tip bartenders but I have a "don" to make a connection with them and we talk about Higuey etc. and I never have to wait, and I also get strong drinks if I wish. For very exceptional service I give them maybe a 100 pesos at the end, for 1-2 main bartenders that served the drinks.
I do not tip at restaurants, why should I. I go get my meal at buffet so I shoudl proabbly tip myself.

Call me a cheap bastard but I have always received good service form everybody in spite of infrequent tipping. Maybe, because of many Gracias and Te lo Agradezco that they receive. Sometimes a nice word is better received than a tip but snobby behavior. Also I use to frequent the same resorts, many of staff know me, and they usually appreciate return visits (at the end of day, it puts food on their table).

To the OP: Tips are already included in your AI stay. The staff receives a "porciento" every 15 days. Tips are NOT expected but are appreciated. But do not overtip because you'll spoil them.

may I be the first...you are a cheap bastard.....do not spoil them....it puts food on their table.....a $2.50 tip at the end of your stay......you say thanks.....im sure their kids appreciate that.....you wouldn't happen to be mr sterling?

Feb 7, 2007
Irishdaddy....patty...whatever.... meant dislike ...sorry for hitting the Like button...

Who is Mr. Sterling? I only know one Irishmen, Michael O'Leary.

And don't worry, their kids are fine. I know one couple, he is pastry cook and she is camarista, they are doing juuuust fine. ALl the gadgets at home you could ever think of. Have passola, saving to buy a car. Investigate before you open your mouth...err...before you kit keyboard.

Will be back in 45 minutes to check on replies... Episode #14 of El Capo 3 is now waiting in pause mode.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I tip every where I go on the island. I seldom have to stand in line , wait for any service, I can upgrade a hotel room, get anything delivered to my house at any time, play any golf course private included any t-time I want. I can even get a kid to walk me to my car with an umbrella when its raining. I sit in the front row at the cock fights , get a table by the water.
All is accomplished by tipping.
A gentleman tips well ,for good efficient service.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Irishdaddy....patty...whatever.... meant dislike ...sorry for hitting the Like button...

Who is Mr. Sterling? I only know one Irishmen, Michael O'Leary.

And don't worry, their kids are fine. I know one couple, he is pastry cook and she is camarista, they are doing juuuust fine. ALl the gadgets at home you could ever think of. Have passola, saving to buy a car. Investigate before you open your mouth...err...before you kit keyboard.

Will be back in 45 minutes to check on replies... Episode #14 of El Capo 3 is now waiting in pause mode.

r_h

You can try and justify it all you want so you can sleep better at night, and generally feel all warm and cozy about yourself,

Try and get over yourself for a moment, look in the mirror and say.......

I'm not smarter than anyone else, I'm not better than anyone else.....

I'M REALLY JUST A CHEAP BASTARD

The first step is always the hardest.....

OPEN THE WALLET

I wish you the best r_h!!!!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello all,
Never been to AI before.
Just wondering what the general pattern is for tipping.
Who and how much?

Does tipping during checkin help to get a requested room?

Thanks!

I don't think you need to tip at check in unless your room is less than desireable and you want to move. However if you want good drinks and service tip well. The majority of Europeans at your resort will not tip and you will have a leg up. Bring a lot of $ bills. Believe me the staff will appreciate it and remember you.

Status
Not open for further replies.