Looking for a good diesel Jeep mechanic

Buzz104

Apr 5, 2014
I have a 2008 Jeep Cherokee that keeps wanting to stall at low RPM's and has been spewing black smoke from the exhaust. I recently had the alternator rebuilt locally had have since noticed the problems since then.

Need a trusted diesel mechanic that has experience with Jeeps and Mercedes.

I'm currently in Jarabacoa and was hoping for someone nearby.

Jan 9, 2004
I have a 2008 Jeep Cherokee that keeps wanting to stall at low RPM's and has been spewing black smoke from the exhaust. I recently had the alternator rebuilt locally had have since noticed the problems since then.

Need a trusted diesel mechanic that has experience with Jeeps and Mercedes.

I'm currently in Jarabacoa and was hoping for someone nearby.

While I cannot give you a recommendation as to who to take it to, I can tell you that the 07 and early 08's had problems with the crankshaft position sensor (they were recalled in the US)....causing the Jeep to want to stall.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
look for your date on Manufacture on the driver door or door panel.....

then ask the guru if its early 2008....

Apr 7, 2014
if the crankshaft position sensor were bad the car wouldnt start or run. your symptom sounds like a Run Rich condition. stalling at low RPMs is usually a low idle or vacuum leak issue on the intake. I didnt know they made these with a diesel engine, what is it? other things to consider are electronic engine management sensors like the engine coolant temperature sensor, which if the signal is out of range would give you that exact problem of belching black smoke and inconsistent idle causing a stall.

most of the older Chryslers had a easy way to determine any recorded engine codes. you could just turn the ignition key 3 times in the cylinder and then leave it on START at the final turn and the yellow engine light would flash the codes in sequence. Then you could just look them up online to isolate where the issue is.

Jan 9, 2004
if the crankshaft position sensor were bad the car wouldnt start or run.

The problem with tne 07 early 08's was intermittent. At one point the vehicle would start and run fine, the nexrt minute the rpm level dropped like the vehicle wanted to stall.

your symptom sounds like a Run Rich condition. stalling at low RPMs is usually a low idle or vacuum leak issue on the intake.

Perhaps. The OP just had the alternator changed. The mechanic could have disturbed a vacuum line.

I didnt know they made these with a diesel engine, what is it?

I believe when Daimler bought Chrysler they introduced a diesel option and have been offering one ever since...even after Chrysler was spun back out of Daimler.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for the info playacaribe2, I'll give the crankshaft position sensor a look.

There are a multitude of other possiblities. I mention the crankshaft position sensor because of the major recall.

Commander had another good suggestion in that you just had work done and now you have the problem. Could very well be just a vacuum line issue.

Other possibilities are camshaft position sensor, electronic module control.

When you find a mechanic, see if you can get a code out of the jeeps computer brain. A good mechanic will have the diagnostic capabilities to do such a thing.

A quick suggestion. You may want this post moved to the Central forum. Someone up that way may have a recommendation for you.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
There are a multitude of other possiblities. I mention the crankshaft position sensor because of the major recall.

Commander had another good suggestion in that you just had work done and now you have the problem. Could very well be just a vacuum line issue.

Other possibilities are camshaft position sensor, electronic module control.

When you find a mechanic, see if you can get a code out of the jeeps computer brain. A good mechanic will have the diagnostic capabilities to do such a thing.

A quick suggestion. You may want this post moved to the Central forum. Someone up that way may have a recommendation for you.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

well make replacingg the computer the last thing you do in your troubleshooting.
and if you replace the crank sensor replace the cam sensor at the same time. it just makes sense to eliminate two bugs at the same time.
of course being a diesel you may get all of these issues if one(or more) of your glowplugs isnt ON. You ll get weak idle and black exhaust. This is a 4 cylinder or a 6? it is easy to imbalance a 4 cyl if just one cylinder is out of service.
And if you have the Jeep Cherokee Sport I believe this car was built in China, but its cool I thought it was way better than the Liberty that replaced it.

And since you mention replacing the alternator recently and getting these symptoms, you may have a defective alternator. If one of the rectifiers is bad, out of 3 I believe it has it will send an inconsistent current to the PCM and that can cause those kind of issues, as well as a bad wire harness to the alternator. Since I dont know the skill level of the guy you had turning a wrench on it, you might want to look it over for obvious junk he may have left undone or sloppy-fied.

gray

Apr 11, 2013
check all your vac lines
i have seen mechanics lean on the vehicle and put their hand on vac lines and break off the plastic connectors to vac/ elec control valves.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The new cars work the same way..

to clear the 'change oil' warning in a 2012 Jeep.... there's a sequence

off/on (not starting) a few times then pump the brake pedal once or twice and Poof!
no more warning.

mystifying ........