Dominican Driver's License - Finally got the permanent license

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
My partner and I got our provisional driver's license in October of last year. We live in Bavaro and intended on getting the provisional in La Romana but the computers were down so we ended up going into Santo Domingo. Our spanish skills are rudimentary so we opted to use a driving school that provided a translator. It certainly made the process easier since getting the license requires going into about a dozen different queues, watching a video, getting a blood test, etc. It's a classic case of intended organization resulting in chaos. Contrary to things I had heard, they were VERY strict about having the translator in the examination room. They monitored his translations and made sure he wasn't giving us the answers. (Not that the test is difficult).

Fast forward to yesterday. We drove to La Romana first thing in the morning to do the driving test and get our permanent license. We enlisted the services of a local friend just in case we had trouble communicating. We were in and out in about 30 minutes. It was very easy. They refused to let our friend join us in the car for the driving test. Not that it mattered. All you have to do is drive around the block. Four right turns and you are done. It was pointless really. The man administering the test was attempting to speak to me in English (which I thought was nice of him) but he had his left and right mixed up so he kept pointing to the right and telling me to turn left.

All in all, a very positive experience and glad it's finally done. I like having everything legal. I realize some of our longer term residents are hostile to the whole idea of formally getting their residency/cedula/license but I think it's a worthwhile venture.

While we were in La Romana we were going to get our new cedulas but the lines were out the door and down the street. Decided it wasn't worth the wait.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be SURE and get the "Casa de Conductor" rider on your car insurance.
Don't know if there is a "Csa" in your area, but you may need it somewhere else.
If you don't know,...A "CASA" is were the police will take you if you have that rider, and NOT to a "JAIL".
The "Casa" has private rooms where you can relax awaiting the onsite judge to here your case.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Be SURE and get the "Casa de Conductor" rider on your car insurance.
Don't know if there is a "Csa" in your area, but you may need it somewhere else.
If you don't know,...A "CASA" is were the police will take you if you have that rider, and NOT to a "JAIL".
The "Casa" has private rooms where you can relax awaiting the onsite judge to here your case.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Thanks for the info!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My partner and I got our provisional driver's license in October of last year. We live in Bavaro and intended on getting the provisional in La Romana but the computers were down so we ended up going into Santo Domingo. Our spanish skills are rudimentary so we opted to use a driving school that provided a translator. It certainly made the process easier since getting the license requires going into about a dozen different queues, watching a video, getting a blood test, etc. It's a classic case of intended organization resulting in chaos. Contrary to things I had heard, they were VERY strict about having the translator in the examination room. They monitored his translations and made sure he wasn't giving us the answers. (Not that the test is difficult).

Fast forward to yesterday. We drove to La Romana first thing in the morning to do the driving test and get our permanent license. We enlisted the services of a local friend just in case we had trouble communicating. We were in and out in about 30 minutes. It was very easy. They refused to let our friend join us in the car for the driving test. Not that it mattered. All you have to do is drive around the block. Four right turns and you are done. It was pointless really. The man administering the test was attempting to speak to me in English (which I thought was nice of him) but he had his left and right mixed up so he kept pointing to the right and telling me to turn left.

All in all, a very positive experience and glad it's finally done. I like having everything legal. I realize some of our longer term residents are hostile to the whole idea of formally getting their residency/cedula/license but I think it's a worthwhile venture.

While we were in La Romana we were going to get our new cedulas but the lines were out the door and down the street. Decided it wasn't worth the wait.
I'm about to go through this myself, the last step in "legalization.".

Not worried about the driving test. I'll just use my horn and show I can text & drive.

The written is another subject; the more technical the Spanish, the less I understand. So they allowed a translator in the testing room?

Blood test? Drogas? Does it detect chicken wing abuse?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
CB, the blood test is to check the blood group, i believe. back in the day when i had my license done they just asked me (and of course the cedula states that as well).
when i took my test i spoke almost no spanish and i passed. the questions were very easy and of the type "was the driver correct?" or "is this allowed?". no technicalities at all. i think it's still very much the same, only more questions now.

i liked your post, insanelyone, very informative and helpful to those who are going for the license now. loved the part about mixing left/right. i do it all the time :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CB... its a little video and you need to determine si o no for inappropriate road actions.... like turning left on reds, etc

Your Spanish will be good enough - if not, do it again ...

really simple --- even you might make it....hahaha

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Left / right...

don't be ascared to turn izquierda....

easy peasy to remember

the only time I ever use 'ascared' !!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i liked your post, insanelyone, very informative and helpful to those who are going for the license now. loved the part about mixing left/right. i do it all the time :)

I never mix left and right in Spanish - but that derecha and derecho trips me up sometimes....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I never mix left and right in Spanish - but that derecha and derecho trips me up sometimes....

yes, but the story is the instructor spoke in english. i constantly point left and say right (or vice versa) in all languages i speak, i'm kinda dumb like that. i avoid derecho/derecha completely, thou and usually i just say pa'lante and pa'ete lado, pointing. makes me look less like a fool. ha ha ha.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the left and right end in "a".... is how I do it.

derecho, sounds like road....... long 'o' to me so means straight as in down the road straight..

thats it for my Espanol....

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Casa de Conductor

""Casa de Conductor" rider on your car insurance."
Where and how to get it?

You get it from your car insurance (at an extra cost).
The CdC only exist in SD and Stgo. and I do not know whether it is any good if you have an accident in the countryside.

donP

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"CB", be SURE NOT to use your seat belt!!!
He will think you are a "Show Off" and flunk you!!!!!
1,000 pesos ASSURES you will PASS!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS,.....What's a "Drivers License" anyway????????

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Did either of you already have a driver's license from another country?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
"CB", be SURE NOT to use your seat belt!!!
Change may be coming.

We got stopped in Jarabacoa not long ago for a seat belt & revista inspection.

Besides, driving without a seat belt has become like riding without a helmet. If I have to do it, I feel nekkid...