Santo Domingo - Puerto Plata Airport

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I need to bring some people to Puerto Plata airport tomorrow and after that visit a client in Santiago. Google maps tells me its a 2.5 hour drive. My client in Santiago tells me to go to puerto plata using the belt way, it will be a lot faster.

Does anyone have experience driving from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata (airport) using the new beltway and how long it takes? And especially how fast I can be arriving at Santiago again after dropping off the people at the airport in puerto plata?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
google maps is way off then....1.5 hour to santiago (kind of correct) and and hour from the start of the beltway to the airport. (so it seems the 2.5 hour google maps states already incorporates use of the beltway.

hmm...I can imagine 4 hours to be correct if you have to pass santiago, or going by san francisco de macros, but by using the beltway...i really hope it's 2.5 hours, else I don't even want to go.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mauricio, my brother-in-law is here in US with us right now, he lives in El Million, SD. From his house to Puerto Plata, using the new beltway, he says will take between 2.30 and 2.45 hours.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Mauricio, my brother-in-law is here in US with us right now, he lives in El Million, SD. From his house to Puerto Plata, using the new beltway, he says will take between 2.30 and 2.45 hours.

Excellent! That's where I live so I'll take 2.45 as a reference.

Thanks!

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
It's an hour and a half from POP airport to STI airport, and i defy any one with wheels on the ground to make it from there to SD in less than 2 hours.

I think frank 12 has done it in 2 hours and a few minutes but most of the time his bike was off the ground or just one wheel on the pavement.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'll tell you tomorrow how long it took, even though I might have to give tipico Bonao another chance.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I made that EXACT trip 1 month ago, and on a Friday afternoon!
3 hours from SD to POP!
And we stopped twice!
The " Stg. by pass is a GOD SEND!!!!!!!!
Even with the new lower tolls, it was nearly empty.
Money "Well Spent"!
Can we thank chip for THAT???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I made that EXACT trip 1 month ago, and on a Friday afternoon!
3 hours from SD to POP!
And we stopped twice!
The " Stg. by pass is a GOD SEND!!!!!!!!
Even with the new lower tolls, it was nearly empty.
Money "Well Spent"!
Can we thank chip for THAT???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think it would have taken me three hours if I wouldn't have been stupid and trust google maps.

I took the beltway until the end, and then google maps sent me back into the city of Santiago and made me take Gregorio Luperon. The old road from Santiago to POP is so bad, it took me 4 hours, just as Derfish said!!

On the way back I took the other way, passing Imbert, I took me an hour to get to Santiago, so I would have been able to make it in three hours back home, but I had to stop in Santiago and heading back to Santo Domingo I stopped at the 'Parada Alemana' in Bonao. Sorry to say that I will not do th?t again.

I should add I didn't drive faster than 70 miles per hour on the way going.